Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB: Downtime planned for Thur 24/11

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I now get an average 1200ms ping to the rte mast where I was getting 30ms pings to boards yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

yea smtp.irishbroadband.ie is having issues. They're aware of it. Mail will eventually send, so maybe jsut set timeout values nice and high.

My d/l speed was grand an hour or so ago. Was ****e a min ago but seems back up. This is what its doing at the mo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

bubby wrote:
    I think you should remove those email addresses, in fairness, its not very nice to post their names like that on the Internet.
    Done. No harm intended...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

And as expected...

IrishISPtest.com%2024.11.2005.JPG

And I'm on the "Business 3MB"! :mad: They've outdone themselves once again! Thanks IBB!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Done. No harm intended...

Fair play to ye Steffano. Looking at your output there .. I have NEVER had a connection speed that low to IBB (only when it was down completely).

I'm worried what it will be like when I get home now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Sorry to but in lads. but last night at around 23.50 RTE put out a message on rte 1 sayin it was turnin off one of their transmiiters for 6 hours so essential maintaince could be done. so i'd say they had turn off their bb service to allow rte to make these repairs.

so i dont think ibb made any essential repairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

i doubt rte work would interfer with IBB transmitter TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

but i think you will find the ibb lease space of the rte Transmitter network. and if anybody has to climb the transmitter. all juice on that tranmitter needs so be switched off. or somebody becomes a southern fried chicken for Col. Sanders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Whatever they've done it seems to have had a fantastic effect on me (belmont mast) - pinging sip.blueface.ie used to have a few % packet loss and a time of between 80-100ms but now is the best I've ever seen it:

Ping statistics for 213.168.225.133:
    Packets: Sent = 92, Received = 92, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 74ms, Average = 35ms

Also irishisptest is reporting 1.63Mb down 1.66Mb up which is also unheard of at this time of day.

For about 6 months I had this kind of good service then in the last 3 or so it's been around 500kbs each way at this time of day.

I'm sure it'll all go to sh*t in the next few days/hours :)

Edit: just tried adslguide.co.uk and nearly fell off my chair:

Direction
    Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 1907 Kbps (238.4 KB/sec) 2059 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 1860 Kbps (232.5 KB/sec) 2008 Kbps (inc. overheads)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well I just got around to fully checking out my connection. Speeds are just as bad as before. If not worse. However I did notice I no longer go from the Guinness mast, to the ESB mast, to the RTE mast and then to the IBIS access node. I now go from Guinness to the IBIS.. but no speed increases, in pings or downloads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rommy667

im with ibb for a year now and i have to say the support is bad,but on the plus side i was flying it most of the year till last monday ive gone from a 2/2m to 40k max up and 5k dl and they dont seem to be in a hurry to fix me back up :mad: also no cap rocks most ip providers have awful low caps which SUCK,so over all i have to say im a happy (when i get fixed back up) ibb user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

well ibb are still boned for me, from what i know d15 area has been somewhat fixed, but a few mates of mine who didnt have problems before now do have problems with the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

well ibb are still boned for me, from what i know d15 area has been somewhat fixed, but a few mates of mine who didnt have problems before now do have problems with the service (they were in an unaffected area before) i get the feeling ibb are just shifting the bandwidth around to give the impression that things are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

IBB was fine for me (on ballycoolin in D15) for 18 months, then pretty bad for about 2 weeks, and now it's perfect again that they've fixed it.

If it is a case of them 'shifting bandwidth around' i guess ballycoolin must be the promised land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ballycoolin mast does seem to have a lot less problems the the Atrium mast
    guess which one we are on
    It has improved but we are not holding our breaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

since the update my connection is getting really slow download speeds... in Cork on the R&H mast. Anyone else with this? Practically elimanted my spyware probs so its not that... I think it's them, but tracert is showing perfect pings on their masts, if I ring them they'll prob think its client side and won't bother helping me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

Skud wrote:
    since the update my connection is getting really slow download speeds... in Cork on the R&H mast. Anyone else with this? Practically elimanted my spyware probs so its not that... I think it's them, but tracert is showing perfect pings on their masts, if I ring them they'll prob think its client side and won't bother helping me...

I have been onto them about this problem myself, and its since they (supposed) increased the backhaul. Showed them graphs of 3.6kb/s http downloads and 10kb/s ftp, which I tried off eircom and came in at 120kb/s.
    I have tried this on an osx system and its still the same so it aint a windows problem.

I put together a test of downloading from ftp a Linux iso from different servers around the world and US/20 Japn/15 Uk/35 IE/35kb/s.

But give bit torrent a shot and downloading 2 files comes in at 100+kb/s.

They did adjust settings on my modem, and rebooted my ip and I captured it while downloading from a russian ftp at 7kb/s. But look at the curious 900 spike straight after the reboot, then just dies away. Strange!

But of course, coming from them, it aint their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

since the last thursday my connection is more consistent.

slightly off topic but has anyone ever got a warnings from ibb for the amount they download? i haven't but i'm curious. what would be a reasonable daily figure?

Advertisement