Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Audio Software

Options
  • 23-11-2005 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

I recently made the transition from Windows to a PowerBook running OS X. Basically, I'm starting again from scratch, learning new software etc.Soooo...

I'm looking for a little help from you all. I produce hip hop and I was wondering what software out there I should be considering (I'm not looking to spend a fortune).

On the PC I was using:

Cubase
    Acid 4
    Cool Edit Pro 2000
    Fruity Loops Studio

Apologies for the vagueness of this!

H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think you can get Cubase for the Mac. ALso try Protools and Digital Performer.

If you are interested in samples try Reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Hoodle wrote:
    I recently made the transition from Windows to a PowerBook running OS X. Basically, I'm starting again from scratch, learning new software etc.Soooo...

I'm looking for a little help from you all. I produce hip hop and I was wondering what software out there I should be considering (I'm not looking to spend a fortune).

On the PC I was using:

Cubase
    Acid 4
    Cool Edit Pro 2000
    Fruity Loops Studio

Apologies for the vagueness of this!

H

Cubase is available on the Mac.
    Cool Edit Pro is now known as Adobe Audition and is also available on the Mac
    Fruit Loops isnt available on the mac, Reason would be closest as Gordon suggested.
    Acid isnt either afaik, allthough the new Cubase SX3 does support Acid files and now has acid style tempo stretching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

Asking around, people have recommended Ableton Live to me as a Mac alternative to Acid.

Is this any cop?

Cheers for the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You could try using Logic which is mac only, lots of people prefer this to windows type host programs. Also on a mac you can get max/msp which is kinda like reaktor for windows, supposed to be better aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Hoodle wrote:
    Asking around, people have recommended Ableton Live to me as a Mac alternative to Acid.

Is this any cop?

Cheers for the help lads.

Ableton is savage, completely forgot about it! Theres a demo downloadable from their site so check it out, also if the demo restrictions arent too harsh download you can download an ableton version of Only (a nine inch nails song) from www.nin.com to remix which really looks interesting, you might wanna check it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hey man.

I very recently made a similar switch, from XP PC to powermac g5, so I know what youre going through!

The transition wasnt as smooth as I was hoping for.
    My initial worry was getting used to OSX but that was the easiest part!

-3 things I had NOT considered when going mac are:

*1] Mac VSTs are different from PC VSTs and there are less free VSTs available for mac.
    *2] Soundforge is not available for mac. Peak is .. almost as good I guess.
    *3] My USB soundcard was Windows only, bummer.

Cubase is the obvious thing to consider, especially if youre already used to its nice workflow. Ive read reports that it runs better on Windows, not sure how true they are.

Logic is obviously another major player in professional recording, but its astronomically expensive. Logic Express is a cut down version of Logic, with plenty of features. I tried the demo and didnt like it. The lack of wav loop support drove me barny, apple loops?- no thanks! There were other things, I cant put my finger on it, but I found Logic Express was quite a dog to work with.

I finally settled for Ableton Live, reluctantly at first, until I discovered what an excellent app it is.
    If youre doing hip-hop on a powerbook I think it would be the best choice. You probably already have a fine collection of wav loops. You can just stick em in a folder on your HD and Ableton Lives excellent browser can have them at the ready at all times.

Live supports VSTs aswell as AU.

Dont forget Lives DJ capabilities, which can be integrated into spontanious recording. You can basically set up all your clips, trigger them on the fly, and record the whole thing as you do it. Then later you can edit that in the usual linear/arrangement view fashion.
    There is tremendous scope in Live for trying different combinations of tracks/instruments. It is genuinly fun and addictive to use.

Lives audio engine is ROCK SOLID. It doesnt crash. It has been said that Live is slightly more CPU intensive than Logic, but you always have the option to freeze your tracks.

Bare in mind also that Live is on the cutting edge of virtual studio type software. It has been heralded as a revolution in performance and recording, and its nice to be a part of that in this early stage of Lives inevitable rise to the top. Automation is a breeze with Live and setting up your control surfaces is p1ss easy.

The included instruments and effects are brill.
    Another great feature is the ability to store device groups, similar to Reasons combinator in that you can save a virtual instrument and numerous effects, as one device.

Lives workflow takes some getting used to, but feels like second nature after just a few days messing around with it. The learning curve is neglegable, especially compared to "logic". There are even free video tutorials available from the Ableton site.

Another nice feature is "real fullscreen" - you can let the app take up your whole screen by pressing f11 [you might have to override OSX settings for f11] - In full screen mode your powerbook will feel almost like dedicated hardware, its extremely kool.
    Lives colour scheme is also very easy on the eyes, ideal for those late night sessions when youre feeling inspired.

I can confidently say you would not be disappointed with Live. Please dont cinsider it as simply a DJ/loop tool. It has evolved to become quite the one stop shop for performance and recording.
    Why not head over the the site to check out some of the raving reviews its getting in the forum. AFIK you can download a demo there too, aswell as watch video demonstrations and tutorials.

Dont forget to avail of some of the great free VST and AU instruments and effects available for mac [not as numerous as those available for PC]
    I would reccommend Crystal and Automator, both powerfull free synths. KVR is the obvious place to start looking for them.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I'd suggest you get yourself a good firewire audio / midi interface. I got a Miglia Harmony and the first thing I noticed is that latencey is now a thing of the past. The Apple store have a good selection of periferals. Also their European HQ is in Cork, so delivery time is usually about 48hrs.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irlstore.woa/90911/wo/Qb152rTeabwm26yXcl71DV73doR/1.SLID?pn=0&nclm=musiccreation&mco=251463A4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

Made my first Mac based instrumental last night with a combination of Audacity, Reason and Garageband (just to see what its like for freeware).

Emailed it to a couple guys in the US. As soon as they're done with it, I'll post the best version up.

Cheers for the help guys...Live is on my list to Santy ;)

Advertisement