Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full 3 course meal!

Options
  • 23-11-2005 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Im planning to cook a meal for my friends birthday, two of the guests are veggies and one is a vegan, i'd like to cook things that everyone can eat and not have seperate meals for the veggies and vegan. There'll be about 12 people so it's needs to be fairlt handy to cook too. Any suggestions for starters, main courses or desserts? I dont want it to look to veggie either, some of the lads are die hard meat eaters and would probably snub "rabbit food" LOL

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hsve a look around sites like,
    http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/main.html
    until you find something that everybody would find acceptable.
    I don't know their tastes but there are a lot of sites.
    Check out the recipe thread in this forum too because there are thousands of recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

Also, if you're not going for anything too fancy, Quorn mince is a very good CheatMeat for use in any recipe that you would normally use mince in, and should satisfy/fool most meatlovers.

It's also got the benefit of being vegan, as vegan meals which satisfy everyone can be tricky as you have to manage without cheese. Having said that, vegan cooking (done well) can be fantastic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh quorn mince is vegan, i had assumed it wasn't.
    Use that as he said, in dishes you would usually use it in. It's great!
    Think it was food of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 SHAKESPEARE_SIS

Soup might be easiest starter if youre cooking for 12. Sweet potato and red pepper soup might go well with suggestion for main course, which is tortillas or quesadillas. Just pre cook veg (could roast a selection) and then let everyone design their own version (vegans can leave out the cheese then) - serve them in flour tortillas with a number of dips. guacamole is easy dip to make - maybe dip based on baked aubergine aswell. if you don't fancy making the dips, tesco have them and the're not bad. dessert could be drunken pears - just stew peeled pears in red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Oh quorn mince is vegan, i had assumed it wasn't.

It's not - it's got egg in it.

• Advertisement

That's what I thought!
    It has rehydrated egg white and milk as fall as I recall.

http://vegweb.com/recipes/subs/
    Try this for vegan and vegetarian meat substitute recipes..it rocks.
    Also, it's the first link I put in the recipe thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

For the main course, I'd highly recommend chilli. Nigella Lawson has a recipe in her "Feast" book (of which I've sung the praises before!) which uses red lentils and kidney beans. It's on page 400-ish. It's vegan (obv this changes if you serve it with sour cream as a garnish ;) )

There's an option to cook the chilli, then bake it with a cornbread topping, but if you didn't fancy that, you could easily just make the chilli and serve with rice - which is what I usually do.

The recipe is for 10 or 12 people, but can easily be modified. It's incredibly easy to make, and it is *to* *die* *for*!

Throw some sour cream, salsa, jalapeno peppers and guacamole into bowls for your guests to dip into and you've got the perfect main course.

Gadgie wrote:
    It's not - it's got egg in it.

And now I've got egg on face. :(

Sorry - stoopid, stoopid, stoopid.

It's ok but we do have to take away your doctorship. I demand you subscribe to boards so you can have your name changes to Benway. ;)

It's ok but we do have to take away your doctorship. I demand you subscribe to boards so you can have your name changes to Benway. ;)

I earned this title fair and square - Pacific Western University is a HIGHLY reputable institution (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise).

• Advertisement

Ya it is, think I'll go pick up my M.D. there tomorrow, I have the fiver and all. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Uninvite the 2 veggies and the 1 vegan as they're obviously not all there because everyone knows you can't beat a nice big juicy steak :)

BolBill wrote:
    Uninvite the 2 veggies and the 1 vegan as they're obviously not all there because everyone knows you can't beat a nice big juicy steak :)

Oh for God's sake. Do you think you're the first person to come on here and extol the virtues of meat-eating? Do you think this 'joke' is somehow original or witty? Do you think you're being a bit mad, a bit 'out there', a bit of a rebel?

Because you don't. You just look like a tosser.

If you must troll on here, you could at least put a bit of effort into it.

In taste, you sure can't.

EDIT, woah leave the chap alone, a tap on the wrists is all that is required. If it happens more often by people and more blatant then ban them all!!! :)
    It's annoying alright but just ignore I guess...

Advertisement