Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ebay - Bank Transfer?

• 23-11-2005 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Im trying to buy a €450 Digital Camera from a German Ebay seller, He is a power seller with over 7000 sales and a 99.9% rating, but he wants to be payed by Bank transfer to germany.

how risky is this?

Is there a charge from Bank of Ireland?

Sean.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

All german sellers prefer bank transfer i think, not many them seem to use paypal. My brother has bought a few things off german ebay sellers and german sites in general and usuallly payed by bank transfer. Takes a few days for the money to go through i think but it works out cheaper than paypal with credit card charges etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

if he has that many sales i wouldnt worry bout it.

and i know for TSB its 50c if you have the IBAN number. without it its 31.50.

so get the IBAN number :P
    and its impossible to send one without the swiftcode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

with bank of ireland is free but again they'll rape you if you don't have an IBAN and BIC numbers (think the last one is right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Feidhlim wrote:
    if he has that many sales i wouldnt worry bout it.

Could be a hacked account.

Bank transfer is not as safe as you think. Example: I used to work for a very large online recruitment company in Ireland. Very regularily I used to go into Bank of Ireland and tranfer money from the company account to Russia. I was not an authorised account user.

So forget all the ideas you might have about banks being secure.

BUT... as long as you're not transferring the money via
    Western Union everything is traceable and insured, so don't be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

dublindude wrote:
    BUT... as long as you're not transferring the money via
    Western Union everything is traceable and insured, so don't be worried.

Just on the western union thing is Bidpay practically the same thing as WU or are you offered any protection from using it?Ive noticed alot of sellers in the states lately saying they only accept bidpay for international orders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I find that German sellers insist on bank transfers.

IBAN plus BIC costs 51c - for a 2 day value payment.
    Same day value costs more but no need to send it this way.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

German sellers know and love bank transfers. It's the way most payments are done in GErmany. They aren't big fans of credit cards (and by extension Paypal). As long as you're happy with the bona fides of the seller then bank transfer is fine and cheap. Obviously the usual rules about too good to be true etc etc still apply...

Advertisement