Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifespan of a scooter

Options
  • 23-11-2005 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

How many years should you be able to knock out of a well cared for scooter which does a bit of travelling everyday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

If it's a 50cc I reckon that you are looking at 5 years max. After that it costs too much to keep it road worthy and keeping any sort of performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Mine is 4 years old now and I can see the cracks beginning to appear in the performance. Its heartbreaking really- I love that scooter to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

At just over 4 years mine got to the stage where performance was failing and biggish money to keep it legal (broken exhaust) and bring some sort of performace back. Traded it in for a CB500 :D
    Got a lot of gear as a trade in for the moped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

It all depends on the scooter. Is it a vespa or lambretta? For example, my last scooter (daily driver all-year round) was a 1993 Vespa PX125 and it's now gone to its next owner up in Belfast. Some of my mates drive scooters from the late 1950-1960s. Parts are available, and most people do their own maintenance while some even do their own restoration... ;)

What scooter do you have dr.barbie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Its a Suzuki Zillion 50cc, its still running grand everyday, hasnt really cost me a penny but I can see the end is nigh, ya know what I mean. People have tried to rob it a few times over the years and it bears the battle scars. Ive been hearing that scooters just give up and die one day, I get the impression the people saying that dont actually know a whole lot about anything though :) It just sparked my curiousity about scooter lifespans etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No vehicle has a lifespan. It has a quantity of neglect it'll take before it gets the hump and dies. This can be three years it can be ninety three. Up to you how well you look after it.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

as long as u reguarly service and take care of ur scoot it should last ages or till the worlds petrol is sucked dry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

posted by LastIrishMonkey
    ...or till the worlds petrol is sucked dry
    Now there's a scary thought from the future!! :( Coming to a petrol station near youse in the next decade or two (well I hope to get to pension age and still be biking):cool:

Advertisement