Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Snowboard.

Options
  • 23-11-2005 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hows it goin folks,
    After renting boards for the past few years i very tempted to buy my own, what board do you own or do you rent.

I was looking at a Burton Royale, it seems a pretty reasonable price on www.dogfunk.com and can get a mate to buy it for me in the states and bring it home before christmas.:)

Crazy prices for gear over here, checked out greatoutdoors and a Custom X board would cost you 786.50 Euros compared with $599.95 or 509 Euros at Dogfunk...:confused: :mad: Wheres Eddie Hobbs...

Has anyone bought from the states before? Burton apparently has a trade agreement with companys in the US not allowing them sell Burton gear to any one outside of the states...and at the prices we have to pay over this end of the water is it any wonder:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 expn

I recently bought the Burton Clash , here in Ireland ,at the great outdoors ,and paid about 610euro.....! Probably a rip , but I'm going to Livigno for 4weeks this year , so renting would've been pointless.......

If you are going away this year ,maybe you could get a better deal at the resort you're going too , rather than the internet ....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Digitally

4weeks this year

Lucky B@st@rd..:D Only have a week planned so far in Les 2 Alpes, Looking at maybe a long wkend in scotland depending on conditions and if I'm really lucky, a week somewhere late season....Heres hoping...

Yeah i am a lucky git.......! This will only be my 3rd time going , but i'm going with friends in a camper van ...! We're driving all the way from Dublin ,and staying in a campsite there.......! It's the only way we could afford to do it for so long.......!

Hope i don't break/fracture anything the first week.......!!!!!!!

Hope i don't break/fracture anything the first week

Worst case scenario you and your Clash meet a Norway spruce on first day.....Ye wouldnt wish it on your worst enemy..

On second thoughts you would...:D

Best of luck with the trip should be a right laugh.:D

O ye, what Bindings did you go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 caracal

definitely wait and buy in the states, way cheaper, better selection etc, just don't buy at the resort shops or try www.blue-tomato.at got my board there a few year ago, v. fast delivery and helpful people aswell. plus they have burton stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

expn wrote:
    I recently bought the Burton Clash , here in Ireland ,at the great outdoors ,and paid about 610euro.....!

You probably could have picked it up for 400 in Livigno :eek: If you have anything else left to get, I'd highly recommend waiting till you get there, and check out 'De Fox' near the carosello.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No-one should even consider buying a board (or boots/bindings etc) in Ireland. For a start the prices are totally rip-off (small demand, small orders, small choice etc), but besides that, if you go to a resort you can demo a couple of boards to see which you like best before you part with your hard earned cash.
    For what it's worth, I got a Wild Duck in chamonix about 3 years ago for about 250 euro, after demoing one for a couple of days - it's great.

Digitally wrote:

Best of luck with the trip should be a right laugh.:D

O ye, what Bindings did you go for?

Thanks man , hope you have a good one too.........

Just got the freestyle bindings ,( moto boots , and the clash board with snowboard bag ...... For the 610yoyos.....! )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

kenmc wrote:
    you can demo a couple of boards to see which you like best before you part with your hard earned cash.
    For what it's worth, I got a Wild Duck in chamonix about 3 years ago for about 250 euro, after demoing one for a couple of days - it's great.

Yep, this is something everyone should do, most rental places will let you try a board first if you're serious about buying one. Anyone who buys a board without having ridden it is a mong IMO.

Was in Great outdoors at the wkend looking for a pair of boots, they have a few package deals there is a Rossignal package, boots+board+Bindings for 399 or A burton Package, Moto Boots+Clash/Bullet board+freestyle bindings+board bag for 599. Also a Christmas/newyear package for 499 dont know the details.

Will still think will buy in states though.!
    Anyone who buys a board without having ridden it is a mong

Well I can see the point in test riding a stick before you buy if your going for a intermediate/expert board that will punish you if ye cant handle it
    but if your goin for a beginner board like the clash i dont see why it really matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fiacc

hey Digitally, just back from a few days in Les 2 Alpes and La Grave. kickin place, lovely slopes, not that i was any good at em!! took quite a few hoppers.... I highly reccomend a helmet...
    you can pick up a lot of second-hand gear cheap enough over there. ex-rental and the like. I was using a big 163 wild duck, which the rental place would sell for 200ish with bindings. so maybe it's worth thinkin bout...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 P2ssw0rd

It's probably more worth your while getting a 2nd hand board. You'll get a better board for your money. Ok it won't be brand new but you will get the likes of a santa cruz pro for the same money as a new entry level burton board. If you do decide to go 2nd hand, just clean the base very well until it's smooth and has a matte finish. Then get yourself some wax and give the board 2 coats. This will fill any chips that might be on the base of the board as well as take care of any friction issues you might have. Job done. You have a bitchin board for a lot less cash.

Advertisement