Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Licence question

Options
  • 23-11-2005 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Right, me and my dad are at a disagreement at the moment. He seems to think he can't drive my car (LHD SMart) because he hasn't got a LHD licence or an automatic licence. I tought once you had a licence in a manual car, you could drive an automatic too? And about the LHD thing, I'm 99.9% sure thats not true.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Manual licence covers auto but not vice versa.
    LHD or RHD is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

A full licence earned doing a test in a manual can drive both manual and Auto
    a licence earned for doing a test in an automatic can only drive an automatic
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Thats exactly what I thought but my dad doesn't want to believe me

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have a look at the licence. Restrictions are listed beside the category as numbers. For example, '01' means the driver must wear corrective lenses. I forget what the code is for 'Restricted to driving automatics', but if you are restricted, it would be there. If you've no numbers there, you can drive whatever the hell you like, so long as it's in that category.

{Edit: Just checked; The code for "restricted to automatics" is 78. Just FYI. There is no code for "Restricted to manuals"
    See: http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/licence/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1836#Driving_Licence_Codes
    }

Advertisement