Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance NCB query

Options
  • 23-11-2005 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Right, i made **** of the stepfathers paintwork the other day when i forgot i wasnt on the bike and took a left turn too tight in a multistorey carpark and scraped both passenger side doors and the rear wheelarch off a pillar.
    The repair bill is not looking pretty and i'm just wondering about getting it done on the insurance. Will it affect his NCB? or just mine as a named driver.
    If its going to affect his i'll just pay it from my pocket and live on noodles for a while, if i can get it done on insurance and lose my personal NCB i'll go for that as i wot be getting insured on a car for the next few years anyway.

Knowing my luck with insurance this cunning plan of mine wont work but i thought i'd ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a named driver, you're not entitled to tot up an NCB. Most insurance companies just give discounts for "Named driver experience" so they can get new business from younger drivers.

Your stepfather will lose his NCB unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

echomadman wrote:
    Right, i made **** of the stepfathers paintwork the other day when i forgot i wasnt on the bike and took a left turn too tight in a multistorey carpark and scraped both passenger side doors and the rear wheelarch off a pillar.
    The repair bill is not looking pretty and i'm just wondering about getting it done on the insurance. Will it affect his NCB? or just mine as a named driver.
    If its going to affect his i'll just pay it from my pocket and live on noodles for a while, if i can get it done on insurance and lose my personal NCB i'll go for that as i wot be getting insured on a car for the next few years anyway.

Knowing my luck with insurance this cunning plan of mine wont work but i thought i'd ask.
    Answer is, it depends. First of all it is primarily your stepfather's NCB that will be affected. However his insurer may allow him to claim up to a certain amount without affecting it at all. He may not lose all of his NCB just a portion. He may have a protected NCB which allows him to have one big claim without affecting his NCB. He'll have to check all this in his insurance policy. Also, he should check the excess, it may not be worth claiming if the excess is high

Leaving aside the above, if he makes any claim he will have to disclose that if he's ever changing insurance companies. This may or may not go against him.

As for yourself, lets say you had a severe crash involving a big claim, injuries, gardai etc. it would be taken note of that you were the driver and this would go against you if you ever went to get insurance in your own name. You'd have to declare that you had a claim as a named driver on someone else's policy. If you didn't declare the claim and your new insurer found out, your insurance would be void. Your stepdad would also lose out as he would have a claim on his policy.

However in this case it is pretty safe to say that your stepfather was driving when the damage occured ;)

How much is the damage anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Oh no echo. You have my sympathies, I brushed a kerb with the left side in a left turn onto a dual carriageway where I had to look right until I was in the middle of the road for fear of getting t-boned and my old lad nearly ripped my head off. There wasn't any damage but he was in the car at the time.

I though I was taking the corner far too wide based on my bike experience. I don't drive the car very often and I am mostly super-paranoid about such things, eyeballing and looking in the mirrors at every obstruction near the car when I'm manoeuvring.

Hurting the old fellas car is not pleasant, but then neither is driving it...

I'd say noodles is your best option tbh. A loaf of bread can last you three days, cheap too. You can steal butters. You can even toast it.

Advertisement