Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traction Control Button

Options
  • 23-11-2005 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Just got a new car that has a traction control on/off button. Anyone know why I would ever turn it off? Whats the benifit?
    ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i got a vw golf in june a new one. it was my first experience of a new car and on the dash it says spmthing like asr something like that and its on or off. today i put it off and the car went flying. my point is its stupid it shouldnot even be a option of on or off.
    i would love to findout the benifits of it.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

drdre wrote:
    i would love to findout the benifits of it.
    thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Thanks, but I did know what it is, i was wondering why i have an option to turn it off. Shouldn't it just be on by default and wouldn't it be safer to not allow it to be turned off? Why would it benifit turning it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

azzeretti wrote:
    Thanks, but I did know what it is, i was wondering why i have an option to turn it off. Shouldn't it just be on by default and wouldn't it be safer to not allow it to be turned off? Why would it benifit turning it off?
    There are certain conditions when it's better to be able to turn it off (like when ya wanna do a wheel burner) so you're give the option to turn it off....a lot of drivers also prefer to be able to turn off driver aids.
    I've been told that ABS actually hinders your braking ability in ice since the only way to brake effectively in ice is to slam on and let the tyres dig into the ice....ABS will not let you do this as it will detect a slide and release the brake. I presume there are situations when it is not advantageous to have ASR (anti-slip regulation) on also (altho I can't think of any at the moment)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why would you want it on by default?
    I always turned mine off fully*. A few months ago a sensor went in it and it seems to have been disabled - yaay.
    ASC removes some of the handling skills from the driver. On RWD cars it is possible to let the back of the car out (responsibly of course) but control it. With TC, it reduces this ability as it tries to prevent oversteer.

* dunno about other makes but with BMWs you turn off the ASC by pressing the switch and the cluster light comes on. However, holding the switch down for about 10 seconds kills ASC fully until you restart the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Didnt know that kbannon.
    I turn mine off as you can get the arse to swing out a bit which can be fun once you dont go mad

Didn't know about holding it in? Yeah, I don't think its in the maunals - just one of those things!
    Anyhow, Im on Good Year F1s 255/40/17" rears and they stick to the road like glue so it is hard enough to step out with TC off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

just wondering why would anyone prefer to drive with driver aids off, particularly with the current weather conditions?

I've not touched my setting at all this week of all weeks. I have had it off (warning light up on dash, on/off button lit up) just out of curiosity - but very rarely go near it.

Im wont be on frosty roads as the roads Im travelling will have plenty of traffic (N4 into Dublin). Should I be on one though I will drive with due care. Driver aids are of limited benefit IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ciarsd wrote:
    just wondering why would anyone prefer to drive with driver aids off, particularly with the current weather conditions?

I've not touched my setting at all this week of all weeks. I have had it off (warning light up on dash, on/off button lit up) just out of curiosity - but very rarely go near it.

I agree with you ciarsd, I never turn it off, to me it would be the same as not wearing a seat belt.

Toyota call it Vehicle Stability Control or VSC but it is basically the same thing. The little light comes on the dash when the car need more grip especially on gravel or slippery surfaces.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    I agree with you ciarsd, I never turn it off, to me it would be the same as not wearing a seat belt.
    So you wouldn't drive an older car or a new car that didn't have it then?

I did about 70 miles in Mondello last month (dry surface) on what are pretty much slick tyres as they are so well worn. I didn't lose control once.
    Have you thought that maybe these aids give you a false sense of security?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

You notice control differences when you turn off traction but as all posters say, its not good to turn off at this time of year. One bit of unseen frost and you could be within seconds on the other side of the road head on with other traffic too sleepy to stop(who knows)

Turning off traction is good but just remember "take care and expect the unexpected" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

basically if you want to do handbrakes and donuts turn it off but other than that whats the point unless you are really and i mean really confident in your driving abilities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

We did a back to back test for Ford in work, they gave us 6 mondeos, 3 with/3 without asr. Saab did the same a few weeks later.
    With asr ON the cars all handled lovely, if you got on the power early it just dampened the revs a bit and you could still steer and off you went.
    With asr OFF if you got on the power early it just understeered off the track, ans wheels spun a lot unless you lifted = slow.
    I preferred the asr ON in both cars, esp the Saab 9-3, which for a fwd car was pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I find when pulling out of a particular junction which is dry but poor surface, sandy etc,. that I can get out quicker if I turn it off and just plant it ! The tyres will spin a bit but it will accelerate better ! The damped throttle response here can be frustrating !

Outside of that I would never turn it off !

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Kersh wrote:
    We did a back to back test for Ford in work, they gave us 6 mondeos, 3 with/3 without asr. Saab did the same a few weeks later.

Wow Kersh where do you work? And can I have a job there? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Instructor at Mondello park. :D:D
    Great fun sometimes.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

useless wrote:
    Wow Kersh where do you work? And can I have a job there? :D:D:D
    I'm guessin he works for Ford....I want a job like that too! Not fair!

If you are stuck in the mud you will probably have to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Guys if you hit a patch of ice no amount of traction control will save you, its not Magic!
    It can be helpful but no-one should be allowed to learn to drive with tcr on,
    Imagine getting into another car and thinking you can plant it whenever you want??

The only time I ever use tcr is in vans to help me get out of slippy spots.

after that, Its down to personal preference same as most things, but I would resist attempts to make it 'always on' for the simple reason that its 'my' car and ill drive it whatever way I like:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mine's switched on as default and I rarely switch it off - can't afford to change the tyres more often :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I like to drive my cars, not have them driven for me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Have a Golf with ASR and drove into a multistory car park recently with a steep incline. It had been raining and when i tried to pull off halfway up the incline the car started jumping all over the place. There was no way i was moving with the ASR on, but once i had it disabled i took it nice and handy and eventually got away. lol the guy behind me nearly had a heart attack :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kbannon wrote:
    So you wouldn't drive an older car or a new car that didn't have it then?

I did about 70 miles in Mondello last month (dry surface) on what are pretty much slick tyres as they are so well worn. I didn't lose control once.
    Have you thought that maybe these aids give you a false sense of security?

Well all my previous cars didn't have it so it wasn't an issue and even in my current car I wouldn't drive with the belief that traction control will come to the rescue if I drive recklessly.

To be fair it wasn't an optional extra, it came with the car and didn't know I had it until I read about it in the manual.

Also I learned to drive in a car with only 4 forward gears so it wouldn't mean I don't use fifth gear these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Sorry Bazz26, didnt mean to sound condecending(sp??) I was thinking about the drivers we all give out about, you know the fog light on, tunnel vision, "of course im a good driver I made it this far didnt I" brigade

Advertisement