Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless BBand Providers

• 23-11-2005 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Okay, just to set the scene : I live in a rented apartment, that doesn't have a phone line installed, and its forbidden to have an antena installed on the property.

As far as I know, this leaves me with two bband options: Clearwire (which I'm with at the moment, and is frankly rubbish as its blocked VoIP ports and P2P ports) and Ripwave (Its IBB - nuff said).

Are these my only options?

If so, it looks like it'll be a 6 week wait while a phone line is installed (and it'll cost me 130 euros for the pleasure!).

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

The only other two services I can think of are both Digiwebs wireless packages. These both need an ariel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Ive heard that clear wire blocks certian ports all right, so I wont be getting them now so. Have you concidered NTL? not wireless but no phone line needed. I know a few friends that live in appartmants in D15 that have NTL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hoodle wrote:
    Okay, just to set the scene : I live in a rented apartment, that doesn't have a phone line installed, and its forbidden to have an antena installed on the property.

There are ways around the Clearwire blocks and Antennae may be mounted inside a window but not on an external wall or roof or chimney in these cases ...as can an indoor Sky dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

If only mate! If NTL was available I'd snap it up straight away, but only NTL TV is available in our appt. in D8, not bband.

Cheers anyway though.

Sponge Bob - do you know of a way round the clearwire blocks? If so, I offer you my firstborn in exchange for knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hoodle wrote:
    Sponge Bob - do you know of a way round the clearwire blocks? If so, I offer you my firstborn in exchange for knowledge.

For Skype Try port 443 or port 80 connects and maybe open your firewall to allow UDP on those 2 ports as well (only those 2 though) . This will not work if you are running a web server at home whoch may need/grab those two ports

http://www.skype.com/help/guides/firewall.html

If you connect peer to peer in SIP use those ports both clients .

• Advertisement
Advertisement