Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reptile Question

• 23-11-2005 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a Leopard Gecko a while ago from Reptile Haven after the reports from here saying it was one of the best places to buy. The guy there really knows his stuff. Gives loads of time to each customer.

Anyway, my question is can different species live in the same vivarium?

I noticed that one or two vivariums in Reptile Haven had different species. I was in a pet shop in Clonmel the other day and they also had species mixed.

Is this ok if one is not the prey of another, suited to the same environment/climate and enough hides

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have a 5.5 ft Viv with mixed species.A bearded dragon and a sudan plated.
    Both have similar habitats in the wild and both have the same temperature/humidity requirements.

Its all a matter of research really.Some keepers dont recommend mixing species and some do.Its not something Id try in a smaller sized cage as both of mine have their "own" places where they sleep/bask etc although the Plated usually sleeps on top of my beardies head which doesnt seem to bother him.
    As for feeding they seem to have a hierarcy with the Beardie eating his fill first and then the Plated although this is changing as the plated gets bigger and both of them seem happy enough eating at the same time.

My way of keeping this under control was to throw in a full box of crix, let the beardie eat his fill and then take him out while the other one ate.
    So far Ive had no problems with one being dominant in an aggressive way over the other.

Richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

never mixed anything myself and as Ritchie said it's down to the individual. Just bear in mind that terrestrial Geckos especially males can be fiercely territorial. Also you haven't said what species you were thinking of putting in with the Leo's.
    As a general rule I wouldn't recomment it but that's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ramon

Leopard geckos are probably the least suitable for mixed species vivaria, unless you have a lot of room. Then the ideal would be a very tall set-up with an arboreal diurnal species.

Regardless of the species, if you do consider a mixed viv remember to de-parasite/flagyl all the inhabitants before introduction

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ramon wrote:
    Regardless of the species, if you do consider a mixed viv remember to de-parasite/flagyl all the inhabitants before introduction

Should have mentioned that.Also a months quarantine before introduction is a must aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I will definitly be staying with one reptile for now. Only new to keeping reptiles. No point getting too deep too quick.

Reptile Haven and the pet shop in clonmel both had leopard geckos mixed with another species. Both were arboreal, that means spends a lot of time in trees right :confused:

At some stage I would like to get another. From reading about leopard geckos it seems that males don't get along. That rules out getting a second male, don't want to get a female because of all the late night bottle feeds and nappy changes ;)

Can't remember the size of my viv. Looks about 2-2.5 foot long by at least a foot high and deep. Seems too low for an arboreal type lizard unless it is quite small :confused:

At a later stage if I did get a second lizard, what type would you reccomend. Would I need a larger viv to fit in an extra hide or two?

thanks

new too all this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement