Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lose the Fat?

• 23-11-2005 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Pighead wonders weather or not you'd dump your kissing buddy if they got fat. Of course their personality counts but would you still find them sexually attractive. And even if you were just going by personality,that too might change as a result of the fatness.

Apparently Pigheads a "shallow bastard" for saying that if the person he was with got fat, he'd just dump them. if Pigheads no longer physically attracted to the person, things just aren't gonna be the same. How is this possibly good for the relationship?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

... how fat?

i dont think my current boyfriend can actually physically gain weight, but if i was going out with someone and their physical attractiveness was seriously compromised in some way then yeah i'd probably dump them.

depends on the relationship though, if it was long-term i'd prob go about trying to encourage them to lose it.

however i go to the gym and keep myself in shape, so i wont put up with the other half just letting themselves go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Right then,say they put on a few pounds,you had a word,waved your finger and said "Oi,porky,anymore of that weight gain and this piggy is heading for the hills"
    Despite this tsern warning they still put the pounds on.Is it time to say goodbye?

PS: Simu,Pigheads sent a packet of paracetemol to you.r good self. They should arrive any day now.Hope the headache clears up buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead wonders weather or not you'd dump your kissing buddy if they got fat. Of course their personality counts but would you still find them sexually attractive. And even if you were just going by personality,that too might change as a result of the fatness.

Apparently Pigheads a "shallow bastard" for saying that if the person he was with got fat, he'd just dump them. if Pigheads no longer physically attracted to the person, things just aren't gonna be the same. How is this possibly good for the relationship?
    I think being thin is only good for first impressions because people generaly tend to judge you in the first 10 seconds of meeting you. As your relationship develops I think the looks begin to have less of an influence on the attraction and attraction to the non phisical aspects of the person take over. Looks still play an important part of any attraction though. I supose it all depends on how long you've known your partner and how much your relationship has developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Another "fat" thread :rolleyes: Just a warning, this will be locked if there's even a hint of it going the way of the other "fat" threads.

Personally, I wouldn't go out with someone who was morbidly obese. After that, then it's down to other looks and personality. Some fat people carry themselves better than others. If I was going out with someone who became obese, then it would depend if they were planning to lose the weight, whether I'd stay going out with them. If they just kept letting themselves go due to laziness, then I'd probably call a halt to the relationship.

I also prefer fat to extremely thin. (No offence to thin people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

While I wouldn't go out with someone very fat in the first place, if my girlfriend put on a few, or even a fair few, stone, I'd still be okay with it, while looks may obviously be a decisive factor in the start of something its not ever something that'll be the end of a relationship at the same time. Well - for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Well I wouldn't dump them straight away. I'd tell them to get their shit together and I'd help them lose the pounds they gained. If they wouldn't co-operate then I'd end the relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It depends, if it were someone I was with 'cause they had a great personality and looks then I'd leave it 'til they discovered that they'd put on weight(bring them shopping or something and when they something on that doesn't fit aswell and realize they'd put on weight I'd just be like "I hadn't noticed"), they'd probably sort it out themselves then and it'd be all good.If they didn't, maybe I'd say something. I wouldn't dump them unless they became actually fat though.

If it were someone I was just with for their looks who didn't have the greatest of personalities, as soon as the pounds went on I'd probably dump them straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

i dont think i could dump my girlfriend if she got fat, obviously i'd prefer her not to be but i still love her and most certainly always will. isnt that the whole thing about being in love?

Man how have i turned into a herbal tea drinkin, coldplay listening hippy.*

[/goes to start a fight with a randomer/]

may not be herbal tea drinkin, coldplay listening hippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

i dont think you'd call it love, if you would dump your b/f, g/f if they got fat, its too shallow. beauty is only skin deep !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ah, I was once very proud of the fact that I was incredibly shallow, but now I am in love, and asking me if I would dump my BF because he gained a few pound is like asking me if I would dump him if he had an accident that scarred his face or body. The answer is no, obviously I would fancy him more without the weight, or scars, but I definately wouldn't dump him. I love him.

In years to come, if we have kids, and I am left with a few stretchy's, or a saggy tummy, is it ok for him to dump me? No way!

Love is love and shallow goes out the window!

(that said, obviously I hope he stays as fit as he is forever :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i dont care if i sound shallow tbh - i'm 21 and looking the best i probably will in my lifetime - why should i compromise on looks? i've got years ahead of me to lower my standards as my own looks deteriorate :p
    there are always more fish in the sea - i've been with my boyfriend a year now, and while im crazy about the guy, realistically i know its not exactly gonna last the rest of my life - why hang on to something im not 100% happy with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Hmmm.....it'a a toughie.....I dunno...

I think it definitely depends on the person and the relationship but,let's just say,I'd be fairly turned off if my boyfriend suddenly started to look like a beached whale!

Thing is though,if you're spending enough time with the person then you don't notice them aging so would you really notice if they grew larger very subtly? I mean,you'd notice eventually but if you see them on a day to day basis then it could pass you by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

It really does depend on the relationship. If you have been married to someone for X amount of years and they gain a few pounds, you would be a complete ass to leave them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In the case of loving them, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Ah, I was once very proud of the fact that I was incredibly shallow, but now I am in love, and asking me if I would dump my BF because he gained a few pound is like asking me if I would dump him if he had an accident that scarred his face or body. The answer is no, obviously I would fancy him more without the weight, or scars, but I definately wouldn't dump him. I love him.

Yes, but scars are something that would happen outside his control, whereas a persons weight is almost always under their control.

I find flab revolting, so I wouldn't be attracted to anyone who I thought was overweight, call me shallow, but I wouldn't let myself get pudgy or flabby, so why should I put up with that from a partner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

my boyfriend is 12 and a half stone and is 5"1 and i wouldn't leave him for anything

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I would never dump my bf if he gained weight... I dont think I could stop loving him due to a change in his physical appearance, only if he started to act in a way that I didnt like or treat me disrespectfully.. I also believe in Karma and I believe that looks are provisional and temporary so anyone who would dump someone who they claim to love and whos only problem is weight gain then they either dont really love that person (which is fair enough) or they are unbelievably shallow and it would come back on them in some way in their lives... Thats my personal opinion anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 angelbabe2112

in the three years that ive been with my boyfriend he' put on 3 stone. but i wouldnt leave him for something so shallow. and anyway all the better for me more of him to love and besides he was too skinny before

Advertisement