Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Modem, two devices at once.

• 23-11-2005 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi all, I've just had Cable installed an am looking to hook up both my desktop and work laptop at the same time. My ISP has given me a Wordstar EPD2100 modem and looking at the manual, it says i can connect a PC via the USB and and another via the ethernet port (or many via an ethernet hub).

So i have my desktop connected via the USB and the Laptop via Ethernet, The USB conenction works fine but the laptop cannot connect to any external sites. I had a look in my firewall logs and netbios incoming traffic is getting blocked on the laptop ip 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. After a few hours of using different firewalls no luck.

I then connected the Laptop to the Modem via ethernet and rebooted the modem them connected the dektop via usb, and i get warning saying the connection is limited etc.

I am considering getting a ethernet router plugging the Cable modem directly to that then feeding the two PC's from the router. My question is should i carry on with the cable modem or go with the router option?

Thanks in advance
    Jonathan

PS I Haven't been able to find a Cable modem with more than one ethernet port, do such things exist?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Go with the router. NTL only give you one public IP address so you won't be able to use two seperate devices on one IP.

Routers can assign internal IPs and have and external (NTL) one two. This way you can hook up many devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

flop may not be using NTL (doesn't sound like their modem) but I think the router is a good solution.
    Consider one that supports VOIP (look at the voip forum or www.blueface.ie) - that would give you the option of getting rid of your phone line rental and cheaper calls too.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

flop wrote:
    Hi all, I've just had Cable installed an am looking to hook up both my desktop and work laptop at the same time. My ISP has given me a Wordstar EPD2100 modem and looking at the manual, it says i can connect a PC via the USB and and another via the ethernet port (or many via an ethernet hub).

So i have my desktop connected via the USB and the Laptop via Ethernet, The USB conenction works fine but the laptop cannot connect to any external sites. I had a look in my firewall logs and netbios incoming traffic is getting blocked on the laptop ip 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. After a few hours of using different firewalls no luck.

I then connected the Laptop to the Modem via ethernet and rebooted the modem them connected the dektop via usb, and i get warning saying the connection is limited etc.

I am considering getting a ethernet router plugging the Cable modem directly to that then feeding the two PC's from the router. My question is should i carry on with the cable modem or go with the router option?

Thanks in advance
    Jonathan

PS I Haven't been able to find a Cable modem with more than one ethernet port, do such things exist?

router is the best solution, get a netgear or lynsky router! usually has 4 port and can have about 32 pc's running off the wireless. Easy to set up and are cheap these days, loads in PC World or buy on the net from www.komplett.ie

auto assigns and IP and you can create your own home network in 5 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

I've been using this router with my NTL connection for 2 years now flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

Thanks for the replies guys, just to add i'm based in Dungarvan and am using the cablesurf service.

Cheers
    Flop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

flop wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys, just to add i'm based in Dungarvan and am using the cablesurf service.

Well rest assured we are all jealous!:D

I don't know much about their service but I would say a router is the best way to go.

Advertisement