Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie CTYI'er My(6yo) son

Options
  • 23-11-2005 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

hi all, My son has just passed his assessement and I am dying to know whats next. They said they will send out the information when it comes to hand, thats early next year. Can anybody tell me whats the procedure now? How long the classes are for? What types of claases are there? How much are they? Any other info that you think might be appropriate. I didnt get a chance to go to one of the info meetings that were on.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

There are loads of subjects he can take: Legal Studues, Psychology, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Japanese, Art Design, Arcaeology to name but a few. Classes are on a Saturday morning and a ednesday afternoon in DCU. Classes last from 10:00 to half 12 (I think) with a break for lunch in between. You'll probably be sent a leaflet for the new term which will start after Christmas and this will have all the relevant information on it.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Annio

Hey there! I'm co-ordinating the 6-7 year old classes out in DCU on Saturdays so I'll try and fill you in on all you shoul know. The classes after Christmas will be starting back at the beginning of February, though that's yet to be confirmed. Also yet to be officially confirmed are what classes we will be running for that age group but over the next few weeks you should be getting all of that practical information. The morning classes begin at 10.15 and end at 12.30 and the afternoon classes begin at 13.45 and end at 16.00. The classes we've been running this term are Media Studies, Spanish, Maths Magic, Biology, Chemistry and Experimental Physics so as you can see we try and accomodate as wide a range of intertests as possible. The classes run for 8 saturdays but you usually don't have class during mid term break weekends or Easter. Hope that's been of some help, I'll post more if I think of anything else of value. Look forward to seeing you and your child in the New Year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

wow, imagine having 10 years left at ctyi...
    liz, how do you know so much about the 6/7 year old classes?, you havent been in that age category for nearly 2 years now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

Haha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Thanks for the info Annio. Im so proud of him making the grade. Can you tell me if there is a charge for taking the classes? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

there is afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

what exactly is an afaik, matthew? there is a charge, although there are scholarships for those that do particularly well, as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

AFAIK=As Far As I Know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

There are also Saturday classes all over the country, not just in DCU. eg. Galway, Cork, Athlone, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

Thanks for the help Sofia! AFAIK (see, I'm learning already!), the Saturday classes outside of Dublin are only for 9-12 year olds (at least the ones in Cork were when I was a lad).

• Advertisement
Advertisement