Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phpBB on my site got hacked

Options
  • 24-11-2005 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Hey folks just to let you all know I got hacked on my phpBB board

http://www.bungee.ie/forum/

This is a "Nigga" Virus / hack not sure , but just warning you to be carful if you use this type of board allot of people have got caught from what I have seen on the www.phpbb.com site

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Sorry to hear it... getting hacked sucks :(
    Hope you had a good backup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Was it a fully-patched installation of phpBB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You should keep your phpBB patched up to date, that particular exploit is a fairly old one. If your install was part of the service provided by your host (ie installed via a wizard or similar) they should have been keeping it patched against known exploits for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

the Guru wrote:
    Hey folks just to let you all know I got hacked on my phpBB board

http://www.bungee.ie/forum/

This is a "Nigga" Virus / hack not sure , but just warning you to be carful if you use this type of board allot of people have got caught from what I have seen on the www.phpbb.com site

I just looked at the site - where is it broken, or did you fix it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I just looked at the site - where is it broken, or did you fix it yourself?

All the posts from tooth110 are from a bot. Take a look at him homepage link and email. I don't know what part was actually hacked though, tooth101's first post was deleted so it may have contained something dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Hey Folks I have been in touch with my host and they have told me the same thing its fine In ireland , Im living in the states at the moment and on my laptop here its all screwed up see image.

Could it be a virus or a trojan that has infected laptop ...... !

The posts from tooth110, I have deleted some of them due to the content selling sex and weight loss drugs

this is a screenshot taken at 2:51pm in Ireland

Also take a look at the Member List. Basically every member from number 16 onwards is a bot that has registered on the site. The link to their homepage and their email address gives them away.

I have noticed that allot of russian people have been registering onto my site , here was me thinking that there's a big bungee following in russia :-)

How do I stop those bots from registering on my site ?

in the registration set up there is an option to generate a keycode for people to enter when registering (activate it via the admin) and that should sort the bot registration problem

• Advertisement

I did just that, and those excellent guys at blacknight solutions sorted it all out for me and left it perfect again.

Cheers Guys for, yet again, going the extra mile for your customers.

You should keep your phpBB patched up to date, that particular exploit is a fairly old one. If your install was part of the service provided by your host (ie installed via a wizard or similar) they should have been keeping it patched against known exploits for you.

The version of PHP BB you are using was released in August 2003. You really should get that upgraded if at all possible.

Advertisement