Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs of flirting

• 24-11-2005 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

met this guy the other night, briefly for about an hour, in the pub. He sat down beside me (no other room) were were sitting at a picnic table. Anywho I noticed during the night that he was acting really nice, and he touched me alot, on my leg, arm in place where I it wasnt neede lets say. What does this mean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What did it mean for you? Was this welcome? Did you feel like he was going too far, given that he had just sat down?

It could be anything, he could have been flirting, he could have been one of those people that just gets touches people they are talking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yes it was welcome cos we were getting on really well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Well, he could just be affectionate. More likely, it means he's interested.

Are you good looking?
    Was he good looking?

(sorry to be blunt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

dublindude wrote:

Are you good looking?
    Was he good looking?

(sorry to be blunt)

why does that matter

dublindude wrote:

Are you good looking?
    Was he good looking?

(sorry to be blunt)
    Yes and yes

• Advertisement

why does that matter

If he's good looking and she's a mutant, then he more than likely wasn't flirting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

So it's official then. There's no way a 'good looking' guy would show interest in an average/below average looking girl in much the same way a 'good looking' girl would no show interest in an average/below average looking guy according to DublinDude.

Laguna wrote:
    So it's official then. There's no way a 'good looking' guy would show interest in an average/below average looking girl in much the same way a 'good looking' girl would no show interest in an average/below average looking guy according to DublinDude.

In general!

Come on, you know it's true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good looking people have to be shallow.....cop on.
    Plus everybody finds diffenent things attractive to be honest...look at some of the sites on the net...urgh...

Anyway OP, it could mean that he likes you or nothing at all. Sounds like he may like you, if you like him, go for it.

Come on, you aren't seriously suggesting it's fair game when it comes to being attracted to someone? Generally, people are interested in people of their own attraction level.

I have never seen a good looking guy with an obese girl.

This is not me being shallow, it's just the way the majority of the world is (forget for a second about money increasing attraction.)

I'm trying to figure out was it flirting or just being friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

dublindude wrote:
    Drink more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dublindude wrote:

How many obese girls have you seen, have you asked them what their bf looks like?
    Also I don't think you have looked round the internet or followed unknown links stupidly, all those overweight women fetish sites...not to mention all those magazines....
    Also drink more.

How many obese girls have you seen, have you asked them what their bf looks like?

Are you really saying that obese women get chatted up by good looking guys in bars?

It just doesn't happen (...the odd time it does, of course.)

Let's not pretend looks are not a factor when it comes to people flirting with you... Sexyboy is not likely to flirt with mutantgirl.

So asking the OP if she is good looking and if the guy was good looking is valid IMO.

It does sound like he was flirting though.

dublindude wrote:
    Are you really saying that obese women get chatted up by good looking guys in bars?
    No idea, I've never even seen an obese woman.
    But hell if I get chatted up, so can they :v:
    It does sound like he was flirting though.
    Yes it really does and that's why it wasn't valid.
    Clearly there is a high probability he likes her.
    He started touching her in a pub when they had just met!

LOL. Some might say that's illegal! :D

Yes, likely it was flirting. I'd still like to compare the looks v looks information though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You all know Dublindude is right. come on now. snap out of it. get with the times. get your duck in a row. feed the cat. Give your wife a backrub. take the dogs out. yeknow ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dublindude, this thread is neither about you nor people's attractivenss levels.
    Drink more.
    Perhaps he should also talk less :D
    dublindude wrote:
    Generally, I would lean on the flirting side if there was touching.
    dublindude wrote:
    Yes they do, especially at the end of the night and he's trying to pull.
    dublindude wrote:
    LOL. Some might say that's illegal! :D
    Really? You musn't have much fun in pubs then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yoyoyoyo wrote:
    met this guy the other night, briefly for about an hour, in the pub. He sat down beside me (no other room) were were sitting at a picnic table. Anywho I noticed during the night that he was acting really nice, and he touched me alot, on my leg, arm in place where I it wasnt neede lets say. What does this mean?

it means he felt comfortable with you and likes you.

yoyoyoyo wrote:

its means hes interested !!!:D
    did u get his no?
    did he ask for yours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

Also I don't think you have looked round the internet or followed unknown links stupidly, all those overweight women fetish sites...not to mention all those magazines....
    Also drink more.

Ha ha! Unknown links! yeah right!! you know what you were looking for!

And yeah DublinDude is right. You cant deny it

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote:
    Come on, you aren't seriously suggesting it's fair game when it comes to being attracted to someone? Generally, people are interested in people of their own attraction level.

This is not me being shallow, it's just the way the majority of the world is (forget for a second about money increasing attraction.)

you know.....

ooops! sorry, dont want to stalk you or anything, but people who know each other touch each other because they know limits and boundries.

people who dont know each other do it when they want to test another persons personal space. if they encrouch on anther persons space and the person does the same back, then i think you can take it that the two people have a common interest in each other.
    whether its flirtatious or friendly is neither here nor there. you dont have to flirt with someone to show you like them, and body language is far more releaving than words.

the simple fact of the matter is that the two people were obviously attracted to each other, were comfortable enough to touch on a number of occassions.

looks dont even enter into it.

/stalk
    /powertrip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

yoyoyoyo wrote:
    What does this mean?

Oh my god- lets replay-

You met, got on really well, he touches you intimately, it was welcome.

And you are wondering if he was flirting? FFS.

You dont get out much do you?

K-

Im too scared to post a reply in my registered name. cant tell you why, just am.

I think he was flirting with you. why else would he be touching you? unless he is a psycho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I would err on the side of he was interested. He could be just touchy-feely but I'd bet on him flirting. Did you flirt back? Touch him? Flick/Play with your hair? Hold eye-contact and smile?

OK. But I'm trying to give a more accurate answer.

Was he drunk and just looking for a shag? Or was he genuinely flirting? (not alcohol/desperation based.)

I'm pretty sure the OP is wondering if he was genuinely flirting, not some drunk sleazy guy looking to get laid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Sounds good to me mate. Go for it.

dublindude wrote:
    OK. But I'm trying to give a more accurate answer.

Was he drunk and just looking for a shag? Or was he genuinely flirting? (not alcohol/desperation based.)

I'm pretty sure the OP is wondering if he was genuinely flirting, not some drunk sleazy guy looking to get laid.
    Thay all arrived and they sat down together it seems so he must have been sober as a judge at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

He probably was flirting. Of course, that doesn't mean he's madly in love with you or anything - some guys just flirt all the time and if it works, all the better. Now, the question is whether you are interested in him or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

Note that Some people are just the touchy feely type, It's not guaranteed Flirting, It's out of habit some girls/guys do so called "flirting" unknown to them. I know girls and fellas that are touchy feely with good looking people, ugly people, fat skinny whatever, just be aware of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Im too scared to post a reply in my registered name. cant tell you why, just am.
    :rolleyes: why not?

oh yeah and how do you post anonymous here? (My friend wants to know ;) )

log out.

its means hes interested !!!:D
    did u get his no?
    did he ask for yours?
    No numbers swapped...i had to leave to go to work, so there wasnt really that opportunity

No1 was pissed, and i was flirting back with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

yoyoyoyo wrote:
    No1 was pissed, and i was flirting back with him
    No1? A nickname for him already?
    I'd say it's likely he was flirting with you. Will you be able to see him again, or was it ships in the night and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

dublindude wrote:
    If he's good looking and she's a mutant, then he more than likely wasn't flirting.

That has to be the stupidist thing ive read in a while.... do you remember the saying :

" beauty is in the eye of the beholder"......

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote:

You ARE so incrediable shallow !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Heyes wrote:
    "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
    That's just something ugly people say...

Personality type can be a mitigating factor (attractive women have been known to go for ugly but confidant men), as can intent (a man will go for a woman for a one night stand that he would not be seen dead with in a relationship) and alcohol. Finally there may be an attribute to the other party that may overcome the aesthetic difference (the sex might be really, really good or the guy might have a fetish for fat chicks).

But as a very rough rule of thumb he is correct. Beautiful people tend not to go out with uglies and if the person you’re with doesn’t fall into a particular aesthetic range with respects to another, then they’re starting at a disadvantage.

That's just something ugly people say...

not true

Heyes wrote:
    not true

He's right. Deep down you know he's right. People can pretend it's fair game for everyone, but that's just not the case.

Anyway, we're all in agreement it was flirting, so it's not really an issue anymore.

Crucifix wrote:
    No1? A nickname for him already?
    I'd say it's likely he was flirting with you. Will you be able to see him again, or was it ships in the night and all that?
    Theres a party at the end of the week he'll prob b goin

• Advertisement

yoyoyoyo wrote:
    Theres a party at the end of the week he'll prob b goin

OK. But if he's not there remember... better to regret something you did than didn't do! Don't be afraid to ask for a phone number in the future...

Are a lot of guys touchy feely like that?
    P.s he doesnt smoke (i do) but he asked his friend for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hi yoyo.

Sorry I havent managed to read all the posts in the thread but I get the idea.

Theres a difference between touchy feely and flirtatious touching.

Depending on how drunk I am, how my confidence is on the night, and other factors, I may flirt [unknowingly] with a subtle tap on the leg or hand on a girls shoulder.

I could also be extremely attracted to a girl yet not have the balls to touch her in any way, perhaps if I felt out of my depth, yet I might unwillingly make it obvious that Im interested by my awkwardness around her.

This is further complicated by the fact that when a guy has absolutly no interest in a girl, its so much easier for him to cuddle her and touch her in a plutonic way.

There is a small amount of guys who one might call "touchy feely". I would more than likely call them creepy bastards. One of my best friends, who is a hell of a nice guy, sometimes gets very touchy feely with girls, to the point that I feel embarrassed for him, and sorry for the girl.

Its normal to be horny, but I hate pervy sleazy guys who pathetically try to get as many cheap thrills as possible.

Id take a guess that in this case the guy is very confident, highly sexed, and very attracted to you. Hope hes got a personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

What makes it obvious he was flirting with her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

yoyoyoyo wrote:

Means nowt if you didn't get his number. Not trying to be a smartarse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

To be honest, its hard to know. Sometimes men can be more touchy and friendly around girls that they don't have feelings for because there is no fear of rejection. On the other hand, repeatedly slight physical contact can be a sign of affection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

yoyoyoyo wrote:
    Are a lot of guys touchy feely like that?
    P.s he doesnt smoke (i do) but he asked his friend for one

Obviously he is attracted to his friend, non?

But seriously, I know that I am a naturally flirty person and maybe females can get away with more, but I would subconciously flirt with everyone.

One way of knowing if a guy is interested is if he mirrors your body language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

if he mirrors your body language
    deedee ... hushh!! .. dont be telling everyone the secrets!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Lots of smiling is a good indication of someone flirting with you. Along with eye contact and a few other little non verbal ways of telling you that he/she is flirting with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

At what point does it become acceptable to touch the girl (i.e. hand around the shoulder, waist etc) Is there an acceptable time limit? (or beer amount!?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement