Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband slowing down?

• 24-11-2005 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else in the Deansgrange area experiencing seriously slow broadband at the moment?

I *may* have exceeded by broadband limit but wasn't aware of any throttling of accounts that exceed their limits taking place.

Don't want to waste my time or money sitting on hold waiting for eircom support so this is my first port of call ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sleepy wrote:
    I *may* have exceeded by broadband limit
    By a magnitude of..? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

By a magnitude of..? ;)
    Considering there's three of us sharing a home starter "wireless" connection, I'd say we're talking multitudes rather than magnitudes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

what are you getting on www.irishisptest.com

Download: 17.2kbps
    Upload: 297.0kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

That sounds like a throttled connection to me. Your upload is still pretty big (from whatever it should be) which indicates strongly they've throttled your connection alright.

• Advertisement

Was thinking as much. Anyone know if they just automatically remove the throttling at the start of the next billing period or do you have to contact support? The phone bill and connection aren't in my name so it'd be one of my flatmates who'd need to contact them and he's away on a work thing at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Contact them. I wouldn't rely on Eircom to automatically put you back on to an unthrottled contention at the commencement of the next billing period.

The line speed came and went overnight so I'm thinking that it's possibly one of my flat-mates that's hogging the line. Anyone know if there's a good on-line guide to splitting off a percentage of the linespeed/bandwidth from a netopia wireless router? Or is this even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

eircom doesn't throttle speeds. If you go over the limit, they'll charge you (when that comes actually into effect). If you continually go over the limit, they'll cancel your connection (it's all in the T&Cs)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

oneweb wrote:
    eircom doesn't throttle speeds.

Are we definitely 100% about this with Eircom or BT?

I'm with BT and last month went over my limit by about 4gb for the first time in two years (damn new tv season in the States!).

From Nov 1st up until last week, my download speed was reduced to 1mb from my usual 2mb for no obvious reason. I mentioned it to BT support when getting them to fix my stuck usage calculator and they said that they weren't aware of any outages or problems with my account.

Anyone else seen this or was it just an isolated incident?

• Advertisement
Advertisement