Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Constantly have to repair connection...

• 24-11-2005 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm using a Netopia modem and Eircom broadband at home connected to a wireless router. It is connected to the PC and I pick up the wireless signal on my laptop.

The problem is that the signal often (once every couple of minutes) drops to "Good" instead of "Excellent". When the signal is not at "Excellent" status, the internet will not work and I usually have to right click on it and repair the connection. This gets really irritating and was wondering if anybody could give me any suggestions as to how I could stop this happening?

Thanks...

(Ah, its happening right now)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

have you tried changing the channel of the wireless router? Bump it up or down by three channels and see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

have you tried changing the channel of the wireless router? Bump it up or down by three channels and see if that helps.

I'm not exaxtly sure how to do that soupercomputer.any pointers?

I think it could be done through the interface on my web browser but I can't remember how to get into it...

thanks for your help

yup, thru the web interface.

its usually the IP address of your gateway.

open a command window

type "ipconfig"

This will give you the default gateway address, IE your router's address.

Bang that address in a web browser, ie: http://192.168.1.254

You will be prompted for a username and password. If you dont remember how to get into the interface then chances are its still set at the factory setting. You can find this online either ffrom the routers manual of goo olde Google.

You should be able to change the Wireless channel in there. After you have changed it, and applied the new setting, give the client machines about 30secs or so to allow the radio signal to propogate.

After you have done all this, please change the password from default on your router ;)

Also, trying to get the latest drivers for your network card is a good idea.

hi souper,

thanks again for the help. i followed your instructions there and got the ip address of the wireless connection but when i try and access the interface with the address, it refuses the connection....
    back to the familiar feeling of being stumped.
    also, to get the relevant drivers for my wireless card, should i just try and find out the model of card and google it then?

thanks again

hmm try adding :8080 onto the end of the ip address like this:

http://192.168.1.254:8080

Did it prompt you for a password?

No need to google for drivers, just go to the vendor's website

• Advertisement

Got into it there but as you suggested Souper, I can't remember the username or password. I'm such an idiot. Hopefully google will reveal all.

Advertisement