Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayne Rooney Hype

• 24-11-2005 3:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭

What is it with the hype about Wayne Rooney ?
    Am I missing something ?
    Listening to Sky Sports tonight one of the panelists said that 'on recent form Wayne Rooney isnt far behind Ronaldinho as the best player in the world '
    Is that a fair statement ?
    Ronaldinho has scored 8 goals in 11 league games this season,Rooney 4 in 12.
    Rooney seems to score some good goals but then may go on a dry spell for 3-4 games.
    As a striker he is unreliable.
    He cannot be relied upon to get a team out of trouble if required.
    Ronaldinho is scoring wonder goals at will at the moment (albeit in a very good team).
    If Rooney is as good as large segments of the English media claim why are Manchester United not scoring goals ?
    In large spells on recent United matches Rooney has almost played as a deep midfielder .
    In their first 6 matches of the Premiership this year they scored 6 goals in the Premiership .
    In previous seasons they scored between 12-18.
    If Wayne Rooney is as good as the English media like to believe why are Manchester United teetering on the brink of elimination from Europe before the knockout stage for the first time in 10 years and playing the worst football seen at Old Trafford in 15 years.
    The defence will cry he is being played out of position,that he is misunderstood by both his club and international manager.
    The truth is that great players ,and I mean great in the real term ,will shine in any position and situation.
    In my opinion Wayne Rooney is a good player but he is not the hyped up messiah touted in the press.
    He is in no way great and never will be.
    The hype does not justify the product.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wayne Rooney isn't far behind Ronaldinho? Jesus Christ, i love Rooney as a player but Ronaldinho is a God right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

the fact is the english media have built him up to be some kind of superstar is a joke.Hes only 19 ffs.

Been on a par with Ronaldinho i dont think so.Ronaldinho has done the biz for barcelona for a few years now.This is rooney's second season at Utd.

He has the potential to be a great player.
    The english media always do this build someone up so much then knock him down. England beat argentina fair enough, now all the talk is we will win the WC.I can guarantee than england wont win it.Brazil or italy will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah Rooney is definitely an enigma, up there with the best of them on his day though.

Ronaldinho is just head and shoulders above everyone else though, a joy to watch almost every single time he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I dont agree with the level of hype he is on, but he is restricted right now in that he doesn't get any service from the midfield, so its only between him and Ruud who sciore goals, and Ruud creates some goals, but not a lot, so he only can score the spectacular.
    Once United's midfield get in order, you'll see him be very very good, not Ronaldinho esqkue yet though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the English media always do this

look at Michael Owen when he was a teenager

Beckham is another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What is it with the hype about Wayne Rooney ?
    Am I missing something ?
    Listening to Sky Sports tonight one of the panelists said that 'on recent form Wayne Rooney isnt far behind Ronaldinho as the best player in the world '
    Is that a fair statement ?
    Yes it is,Ronaldinho is undoubtedly the best player playing the game at the moment but Wayne Rooney is definitely not too far behind and is quite deserving of the hype.Ronaldinhos playing in a team full of confidence at the moment and is playing well.Wayne Rooney is playing in a team low on confidence and is playing well.He took on Villareal almost single handedly the other night.Only his own player(Ruud)stopped him from scoring
    Ronaldinho has scored 8 goals in 11 league games this season,Rooney 4 in 12.
    Rooney seems to score some good goals but then may go on a dry spell for 3-4 games.
    As a striker he is unreliable.
    You're only using the last few games as statistics.Players are better judged over a season.ie 2004/2005: Ronaldinho 9 goals in 35 matches. Rooney 11 goals in 24 matches.
    He cannot be relied upon to get a team out of trouble if required.
    Ronaldinho is scoring wonder goals at will at the moment (albeit in a very good team).

Last season: Euro 2004: 4 goals for England
    V Liverpool:scored the winner.
    V Portsmouth:scored the winner
    V Arsenal scored 2nd goal to stop Arsenal reaching 50 unbeaten
    V Newcastle:Scored goal of season when United 1-0 down.
    If Rooney is as good as large segments of the English media claim why are Manchester United not scoring goals ?
    In large spells on recent United matches Rooney has almost played as a deep midfielder .
    In their first 6 matches of the Premiership this year they scored 6 goals in the Premiership .
    In previous seasons they scored between 12-18.

United have not been scoring as much as usual but even so only Chelsea have scored more.Anyway hardly proves Rooneys overrated.Maradonas Napoli finished 3rd in 86 when he was at his peak with Maradona only scoring 11 goals.
    If Wayne Rooney is as good as the English media like to believe why are Manchester United teetering on the brink of elimination from Europe before the knockout stage for the first time in 10 years and playing the worst football seen at Old Trafford in 15 years.

Real Madrid havent won a trophy since 2002.I take it this means you don't rate Zidane Raul Figo Carlos etc?
    In my opinion Wayne Rooney is a good player but he is not the hyped up messiah touted in the press.
    He is in no way great and never will be.
    The hype does not justify the product.

Time will tell Mister but if he progresses even slightly above the level he's at at the moment then i'm pretty sure you will be eating your words and Wayne Rooney will be regarded as one of the greats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I honestly don't see what Rooney has done to deserve this title of "greatness". Has he created numerous victories single handedly out of nowhere for United? or England? against good teams? Has he consistantly performed above par.

You could say he is a "good" player, but even that would be stretching it.

Right now all you can say is that he has potential to be a good player because he has good stamina, strenght and technical ability. But he is really yet to prove that on the pitch. A few decent/good performances don't a pele make.

I'm sure there are countless players around the world who one could classify as being as good as Rooney. I say this because from seeing him play on several occasions I haven't seen this greatness everyone keeps harping on about. I think two factors are at work here.

1) The English media, is completely insane. As has been stated before they do this kind of thing on a fairly regular basis. British pride and all that jazz.

2) People that support English clubs tend to be completely blind to it's failings until those failings bludgeon them like a hammer. In this case it would be Man U supporters that tend to over rate Rooney and there are a LOT of Man U supporters in England and Ireland right now.

Is Rooney a decent player (i'm talking about at a world level, please realise that the premiereship is not the world), yes? Is he a good player? Well sometimes he puts in good performances but he isn't "consistantly" good yet. You can make all the excuses about poor service etc all you like but in the end, bad performance by his team cannot be used as an excuse to justify HIS greatness until he proves it. I think one could reasonably argue that he has shown potential to be a consitantly good player. But greatness is something he is no way near now and to be jumping to such conclusions is delusional to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pighead wrote:
    Yes it is,Ronaldinho is undoubtedly the best player playing the game at the moment but Wayne Rooney is definitely not too far behind and is quite deserving of the hype.Ronaldinhos playing in a team full of confidence at the moment and is playing well.Wayne Rooney is playing in a team low on confidence and is playing well.He took on Villareal almost single handedly the other night.Only his own player(Ruud)stopped him from scoring
    The thing is though, if Ronaldinho plays well Barca will win. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

eirebhoy wrote:
    The thing is though, if Ronaldinho plays well Barca will win. :)

Ronaldinho played out of his skin last year at chelsea and barca lost that game 4-2.

Ronaldinho is no doubt the best in the world, if Rooney stays fit and mantains his hunger one day he could be considered up there with the best. I dont think theres too much hype over Rooney, he has loads of natural talent he has heart and he's not afraid of anyone. He's the best young player england have produced in a while. I feel a bit p**sed off though he has an irish surname and when you look at that big spud head of his you know he's irish, a pity really, he could have made a good partnership with gary doherty up front, LOL

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Rooney is a very unlikeable, sexual deviant who has shown flashes of brilliance at times and goes missing at others. The English Media will jump on any opportunity to reveer one of their own and this is Rooney's turn. Once he is found out and the flashes of brilliance become more irregular, they will take him off the pedestal they have him on and he will become yet another hyped up failure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

His skill and strength makes him a challenge for any back line...maybe a slightly unlikeable fellow at times but theres no doubting his talent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Rooney is undoubtedly a very talented player in his own right and i believe that if he was playing in the barca team he would be even better but to even think of comparing him to ronaldinho.....

Well that is just madness personified:p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The (English, though Spain and Italy are pretty bad too) meeja are always going to hype up their players beyond what is reasonable. I think with Rooney part of the reason for it though is that he is extremely talented and produces some truly great moments, which quickly make people forget about the off periods.

Despite that the English are justifiably excited imo, if he can control his temper and doesn't do a Gazza, he could very well become England's greatest ever player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Nobody comes close to Ronaldinho, nobody. Rooney isn't even second on the list either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

hes nowhere near ronaldinho at the moment. hes playing in a poor man utd team at the moment so when he does peform he stands out like the moon in the sky. united are relying him too much lately. theres a lot of pressure on him to perform.

first 60 mins of the villareal game he was uniteds heartbeat. he faded then, united faded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I love watching Rooney and Ronnie but if comparing players that are in similiar positions best to find some closer in age.

Rooney if he avoids the Gazza thing will be Englands best ever player.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Rooney is an excellent player and could well prove to be one of the greatest ever if he reaches his full potential. It's way to early to be labelling him in the manner the english media over hype any half decent english player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

KdjaC wrote:
    I love watching Rooney and Ronnie but if comparing players that are in similiar positions best to find some closer in age.

Rooney if he avoids the Gazza thing will be Englands best ever player.

kdjac

Have to agree. Rooney is a fantastic all rounder, and will if he manages to keep to the straight and narrow, become even better over time. Ronaldinho is definetly a cut above, but Rooney has quality that's still very impressive. In his first game for England he looked like a veteran. He's got speed, strength (in an absolute abundance) and a huge amount of skill for a guy his age. Yeah, the media are going to hype him up, but what do you expect?.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree that he has all the attributes, speed, strength, great skill and intelligence but he dosnt do enough for me. We see those moments of brilliance like his goal against Newcastle last season and then we see him have very average games. He is too hit and miss for me and I wouldnt even say he is the best player in the premiership never mind comparing him to Ronaldinho!

He is far to hyped up and its because of this that people believe him to be a footballing god when its not the case. Saying that though if he can play to his potential on a regular basis which he has so far failed to do then we can start calling him a great player. As of yet he is undeserving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I take anything the English media conjure up with a pinch of salt. Let's not forget that it was not so long ago that Mickey Owen and David Beckham would be the best players in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Memnoch wrote:
    You could say he is a "good" player, but even that would be stretching it.
    That's just a nonsense statement.
    I take people's point about the hype surrounding him, it's just the nature of the English media, but there is something special there undoubtedly, even the most hardened ABU must see it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I take people's point about the hype surrounding him, it's just the nature of the English media, but there is something special there undoubtedly, even the most hardened ABU must see it.

I dont anybody is denying that there is something there the onlty question people have is cn he do it on a more regular basis other than the occaional flash of brilliance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Give Rooney time to develop his game. Ronaldinho is 25, nearly 26. Rooney has just turned 20. He needs to mature and improve but give him a few years to do it.

The reason people hype up Rooney is very very simple.
    He is 20, and he is arguably England's most influencial player.
    He carried them in the Euro's, and will probably do so again with the World Cup.

Good players preform consistantly at the top.
    Great players preform amazingly in the big games. Rooney does this already, so is already a great player in my mind. When he gets the consistantcy in the less important games, he will be unreal.
    Duncan Edwards is the comparision which I feel is best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Rooney if he avoids the Gazza thing will be Englands best ever player

What !
    Are you serious ?
    Stanley Matthews,Bobby Charlton,Bobby Moore,Jimmy Greaves (44 goals in 57 caps),Tom Finney,Nat Lofthouse,Johny Haynes,Gordon Banks.
    You honestly think Rooney will be better than all of these legends ?:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good player but you know the English media.....well you just know!

Sure Rio is the best CB in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Michael Owen got exactly the same hype. Sure, hes a great player but the English media do go overboard.

Sure Rio is the best CB in the world!
    :D:D:D:D
    A case of the Emperors new clothes if ever there was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 header

wayne rooney is world class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gordon Banks pulled off one good save and you say hes a legend ?

Pfft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 header

banks was a avrage goalie

header wrote:
    banks was a avrage goalie

Completely agree.

banks was a average goalie
    Of course he was.
    Thats why he was ranked 7th in the Football Hall of Fame
    http://www.ifhof.com/hof/halloffame.asp
    ' For 10 years, Gordon Banks wasn't just England's goalkeeper. He was indisputably the best in the world. Perhaps the finest there has ever been'
    He is a legend.

Gordon Banks pulled off one good save and you say hes a legend ?

Pfft.

Would you care to divulge your age . I doubt you ever saw Banks in action,You can't have to make such a statement. I saw similar in the Best thread about him, again from someone I doubt ever saw anything other than few clips of him in action. How to you form such an opinion without having seen these players play?

The Muppet wrote:
    Would you care to divulge your age . I doubt you ever saw Banks in action,You can't have to make such a statement. I saw similar in the Best thread about him, again from someone I doubt ever saw anything other than few clips of him in action. How to you form such an opinion without having seen these players play?

i have only seen a few videos, but apart from that one amazing stop against pele in 1970, i didnt consider him to be anything legendary.

and besides, he got forced out of Leicester by Peter Shilton :p:p

Lev Yashin, now that was a legend!

• Advertisement

i have only seen a few videos, but apart from that one amazing stop against pele in 1970, i didnt consider him to be anything legendary.

and besides, he got forced out of Leicester by Peter Shilton :p:p

Lev Yashin, now that was a legend!

Video's ? Videos of Banks would be few and far between. I suggest you have not seen enough of Banks to comment on his ability or lack of it .

Peter Shilton was also a great keeper as was Lev Yashin.

The Muppet wrote:
    Video's ? Videos of Banks would be few and far between. I suggest you have not seen enough of Banks to comment on his ability or lack of it .

Peter Shilton was also a great keeper as was Lev Yashin.

Fair enough, i have obviously met a fan of the man with much greater knowledge of his ability than i know.
    My comment on shilton was just a joke, i dont know if you picked up on that :)

Fair enough, i have obviously met a fan of the man with much greater knowledge of his ability than i know.
    My comment on shilton was just a joke, i dont know if you picked up on that :)

I have 20 years on you and only saw Banks near the end of his career, my older brother was a big Stoke fan. Wasn't sure about the Shilton comment TBH . Consider using a ;) to indicate humour as depending on the mood some of us tend to be a bit lacking in the humour detection department from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

that's just a nonsense statement. Special is a very subjective word.

Of course he was.
    Thats why he was ranked 7th in the Football Hall of Fame
    ' For 10 years, Gordon Banks wasn't just England's goalkeeper. He was indisputably the best in the world. Perhaps the finest there has ever been'
    He is a legend.

That is quite possibly the worst list I have ever seen. Are you telling me that Maradona doesnt even make the top 25?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Rooney is a decent player at the moment who will only get better. There has been some questions raised over his fitness as the attached image will demonstrate.

The Muppet wrote:
    I have 20 years on you and only saw Banks near the end of his career, my older brother was a big Stoke fan. Wasn't sure about the Shilton comment TBH . Consider using a ;) to indicate humour as depending on the mood some of us tend to be a bit lacking in the humour detection department from time to time.

no worries i'll use that anymore....on other boards :p:p would have been sufficient, hehe ;)

That is quite possibly the worst list I have ever seen. Are you telling me that Maradona doesnt even make the top 25?
    Apart from Maradona the rest of the list is quite solid.
    The order of the list is irrelevant ,all the 25 players were great and I think the list is extremely accurate and it spans a wide period of time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

That's a shockingly bad list. I can't see any logical reason as to why Maradona was left out. There are some gobsheens out there who shouldn't be allowed have opinions on football. Wait a minute...............:confused:

That's a shockingly bad list. I can't see any logical reason as to why Maradona was left out. There are some gobsheens out there who shouldn't be allowed have opinions on football. Wait a minute...............:confused:

I hope you are not insinuating I am a gobsheen :mad:
    All the players on the list were excellent players in their day one way or another.
    We are getting a bit off topic here.
    To summarise my original point,Banks was > average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Of course not, how would I have?
    I've seen as much footage of him as there is.

but I've heard him described by the majority of the football pundits, and I've heard many comparisions make to Rooney, and they seem to be the most accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

That list is in no particular order. They were just the first 25 inducted a few years ago.
    By the way look at the list to the right that has the 10 nominees from the 98/99 season. Maradona is in there.:confused: Was he even playing at that stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I hope you are not insinuating I am a gobsheen :mad:
    All the players on the list were excellent players in their day one way or another.
    We are getting a bit off topic here.
    To summarise my original point,Banks was > average.
    I think the joke was that everyone is a gobsheen because everyone has an opinion on football, inc. me who said that joke while giving an opinion about football. Sorry if you got offended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement