Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-gaming: It's here to stay!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Memnoch wrote:
    Nope, it's already recognised as a socially acceptable activity.

Thats a bit of a dodge rather than a response. My point was about the degree of acceptability. Lets call it "respect" instead. You feel that if everyone were to call pro gaming a sport then it would be given much more respect. Its all about respect and recognition. Why else do you care about the arbitrary title?

Who cares if chess is called a sport? What does that have to do with WHY you want pro gaming called a sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yeah true, pro-gaming is in its infancy. Give it time and see how far it goes. But I just can't see it developing beyond the odd big-money gaming event. And sure why would you want it to become any bigger than that to be honest? Encouraging kids to sit playing games all day isn't the best idea, no matter what way you look at it.

As for Koreans...they're all completely insane, it's unfair to bring them into an arguement! ;)

By the way, there's some serious money being throw about for the big tournaments, does anybody know do they do drug tests on competitors?! Performance enhanced gamers... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i have to admit i wouldn't call it a sport either but as a game.

i do follow the pro cs scene a lot and it seems that the dominance is in the scandinavian countries with america in second and europe and asia coming in third.

pro gaming will get bigger and i think it might even hit the stage that it is shown on tv like poker but it will short lived it won't last like other sports like soccer/rugby etc.

pro gamers to make a lot of money though Sk.swe the swedish cs clan make about €30,000 before taken into account their winnings. although 30,000 isn't exactly a load of money compare to say footballers, it's not to be sniffed at.

what i find a shame though is that there is no irish pro teams in any online game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Zillah wrote:
    Dude, your main problem seems to be that you think being called a "sport" is the only way for it be a recognised socially acceptable activity.

If physical activity isn't a key requirement of a "sport" then how do you define a sport anymore?

Anything with competition? How about roulette? Or black jack, or role playing games? Gambling?

Pro gaming can have respect and recognition, but it doesn't have to be called a sport to do that.

Bravo. If you classed gaming as a sport, you'd have to class pro-eating et al as a sport, and that's just not realistic. It sounds like some gamers just have a burning ambition to be recognised alongside their more athletic peers which, in reality, won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Another problem with this gaming/sport thing, is that each video game would have to be judged on its own.

If CS is called a sport, are all video games then called a sport? Does the mean Chess on a computer is a sport while actual chess on a physical board remains a game?

Memnoch, for me you are getting too hung up on arguing the case that people should "recognise" gaming as a sport, or recognise it full stop.

You should realise that the people interested in pro gaming are already interested in it and more will come.

You dont see football fans trying to get rugby fans to like their sport if they dont already. Put your effort into making pro gaming better for those interested than into trying to convert those not.

Personally, I like the idea of a progaming worldwide league. Very interesting concept. I reckon I could be top one hundred at Top Spin on the Xbox. As I was once in Xbox Live. But that wouldnt make me a top one hundred in the world sportsman would it? Since I have a considerable beer gut and am lazy as sin.

Also, I don't know who Fatality is, what game does he play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lol. He sponsors my motherboard...I know that much. Damn good motherboard. Apparently...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

he was the worlds top quake3 player for CPL (Cyberathlete Professional League), then he played UT2003, then painkiller, now quake4. these are the games that CPL chooses and have the most money (single player) in them.

we are going to have to wait a few years still before we can definately make a judgement on "pro-gaming" as to whether its a sport or not, my opinion atm is that:
    Football = Sport
    UT2004 = game

Advertisement