Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a value to belief?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

You can't prove a negative... so the question is flawed. Hypothetically I would release the impossible proof.

No one can prove beyond douth that the sun isn't a God... or that there isn't a God of the ocean, i.e Neptune or whatever. Or that Spaghetti Monsterism isn't true....

It is just extremely unlikely that any of the above things are Gods... as it is extremely unlikely that any Gods exist at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Kernel wrote:
    But the theory that the universe and all the laws of it and of reality and life itself are a matter of fluke is not an adequate solution to me. Not at all.

I would imagine the universe, if it could talk, would say to you that all 96 billion light years of it are not here to make you feel better about life.

Whether you find the theory adequate or not is irrelevant to if it is likely or not.

It is very very unlikely that the universe was created by an intelligence, and there certainly is no evidence of this conclusion has ever been discovered (I don't get how this could happen naturally is NOT evidence btw)

Even more unlikely is the idea that this intelligence, if it exists, has any particular interest in the biological animals living on one small rather cold planet orbiting one of the billions of stars in a corner of one of the billions of galaxies in the known universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Religious comfort is only available to those who are religious... people who have never being religious simply cope in different ways, admittedly those 'ways' may not be perfect but then there is no 'perfect' answer to mans mortality.

Clinging to, or accepting a delusion simply because it offers 'delusional' people comfort isn't necessarily a good thing in my opinion. These same religious values which may offer some people comfort also definitely have negative consequences, I genuinely believe that religion on the whole is more a force for evil and non tolerance than it is a force for good...

So even though religion may offer some people some comfort I still feel we should strive to eliminate it from society... on the whole that would result in the most 'good'.

Cheers
    Joe

Advertisement