Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy on RTE

• 24-11-2005 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I missed what happened with Dunphy last night on RTE, would anyone care to post what was said?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Better still does anyone have it online ? I was recording it on Sky+ but the missus feckin deleted it when the match was over. I don't know which I was more gutted about - not having that classic Dunphy or Liverpool missing 20-odd chances in front of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭finlma

It made for excellent tv. He called Quinn and idiot and a creep. He got into a slagging match with Bill about comments made by Rod Liddle of the Times in reagrds to Keane being a thug. He ripped his microphone off after that but calmed down and stayed. He had a good argument with Brady about contracs and other stuff.

I'm a big Dunphy fan but he does himself no favours by getting so wound up and name calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

finlma wrote:
    It made for excellent tv. He called Quinn and idiot and a creep. He got into a slagging match with Bill about comments made by Rod Liddle of the Times in reagrds to Keane being a thug. He ripped his microphone off after that but calmed down and stayed. He had a good argument with Brady about contracs and other stuff.

I'm a big Dunphy fan but he does himself no favours by getting so wound up and name calling.

Thats the stupid article thats on here???? didnt see it so missed it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

yeah, a clip of this would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I caught the Dunphy, Giles, Brady and O'Herlihy "debate" and it made for great television. It was one of those moments which you wont see on other channels, because quite simply after such a display Dunphy would be sacked.

It was similar to his WC outbursts in 2002, after which he should have been sacked. Dunphy resorted to calling other players names, notably Quinn, and failed to argue the points. Brady had a go at him. Even O'Herlihy did but this was futile as Dunpht has no respect for him as a pundit. Even Johnny Giles plucked up the courage to go against Eamon. Dunphy partially lost the rag, tore off his microphone but didnt go the whole hog. he is partially a performer at the end of the day and will be laughing about it this morning.

Dunphy is "in love" with Roy Keane, no doubt about that, and is too close to judge Roy's actions objectively, or to debate it properly. It reminded me of some of the discussions going on here on boards.ie about Roy. Surely the mods would have banned Dunphy for his actions!

Of course Dunphy's overarching point is that Roy's misdemeanors should be overlooked for his good aspects. ie: Roy can do no wrong. But in most people's eyes, even if Mother Teresa had committed a murder, its still a murder, no matter how much good in the world she has done before that or after that. This aspect Dunphy cant swallow, understand or comprehend.

redspider

• Advertisement

jesus Roy killed someone ???

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I would love an upload of this if anyone's got it, can't believe I missed it, was just watching the game in the pub:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ah was genius.. Especially when he started taking the mic of his blazer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd sure like to see this! I only got in for the post Chelsea analysis and he still looked pretty loaded (2+ hours later). I think the make-up artist even had to touch up his eyes as he was looking like Cleopatra.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

From Todays Indo :

DUNPHY strikes again. The wrath of the inimitable Eamon was felt again last night as the soccer pundit came out all guns blazing in defence of Roy Keane after his controversial departure from Manchester United.

A clearly annoyed Eamon pulled the microphone from his lapel during commentary of the Champions League coverage on RTE 2 in a move reminiscent of his famous pencil-throwing incident live on air during Italia '90.

Shocked viewers watched as Eamon took exception to fellow pundit Liam Brady's take on Roy Keane's departure from the top premiership club and blasted Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson as having "lost the plot".

Bristling with annoyance he further hit out at Fergie describing his handling of Keane as "brutal".

And he said Sir Alex would regret the day he let the Cork man walk away from Man Utd. Dunphy, who has long been an admirer of Roy Keane and has penned the soccer star's biography, was rankled when the discussion on last night's programme came around to Roy Keane.

And while it started out as a healthy discussion of the now famous departure, it ended up with Dunphy taking a pot shot at Niall Quinn.

He described Quinn as "an idiot" and told viewers that if they really wanted to know what the former Ireland international was like, they should go and watch the play 'I, Keano'.

The tongue-in-cheek musical sets the Saipan saga of Roy Keane's controversial exit from the last World Cup as a Julius Caesar-style tragedy.

The musical take on the Keane v McCarthy saga has the character Quinnus aiding the stubborn general Macartacus.

Last night, Dunphy also made little of the fact that Quinn donated the stg£1m funds he raised from his testimonial to charity.

A spokeswoman for RTE said last night that things did get heated and Eamon made remarks about Niall Quinn.

"Bill (O'Herlihy) then contested the remarks to contain the situation," the spokeswoman said.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it was great tv, saw it in the pub and was more exciting than the match, really got the crowd going.
    liam started it tbh when he made a few comments about roy feeding info to 'friends in the media' to do his dirty work. it was a shot at dunphy and he went nuts straight away...

he had a few cracks at that Rod Little guy leaving his wife for a 'young one'.
    By the way is that the same guy who wrote a long piece in the sunday times slagging off the irish a few weeks back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

a clip of this would be great!

Eirebhoy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

"The journalist who wrote the "thug" comments and Dunphy are going to be on with Joe Duffy on Liveline, RTE Radio 1, 1:45pm."
    Got that from AH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Niall Quinn is the biggest gob****e on Tv.
    The guy is an insufferable bore.
    He seems to be on Sky Sports every day waffling .
    He just never shuts up and his commentary is crap.
    I'm delighted Dunphy put him in his place.

daveym wrote:
    By the way is that the same guy who wrote a long piece in the sunday times slagging off the irish a few weeks back?

I don't know about that but he did write an article about a month saying how happy he was Ireland failed to qualify for the WorldCup.

TBH he's just a wind up merchant and should be laughed at or ignored. But knowing this country we'll probably have turned him into our new Oliver Cromwell by the end of next week.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Pigman II wrote:
    I don't know about that but he did write an article about a month saying how happy he was Ireland failed to qualify for the WorldCup.

TBH he's just a wind up merchant and should be laughed at or ignored. But knowing this country we'll probably have turned him into our new Oliver Cromwell by the end of next week.

yeah thats the one I meant I think, at the time I thought the must have put that into the Irish edition by accident..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mg Dunphy is class

the man is a legend

when i was watching it last night i was shouting

dunphy dunphy dunphy

that liam Brady is a waste of space

as for Niall Quinn,Dunphy was on the ball with his remarks creep and idiot and i hope Quinn heard them

he always had a vendatta against keano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dunphy is a lickspittle of the highest order, ensuring that his meal-ticket (Keane) will keep him around like a dog on a leash. Dunphy's only interest in Keane is that he ensures he lets him write his undated biography now that he's left United.

The man is a disgrace who should not be given a platform to spout his bile and he, on two occasions, publically supported Ireland's opponents in the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That Liveline should be good :)

liddle is on right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lost all respect for Dunphy now, apologising to that bigot is unforgiveable.

Highlights:

Dunphy turns tail. Last night he was slagging the Times article and the author. Now he's changed his story and is saying he 'just objected to the use of the article on an RTE debate.'

Dunphy apologied to to Liddle for his 'cheap shot'.

The two of them are all lovey-dovey now. I'd swear they're probably mates in real life.

Even now Dunphys potentially digs himself into another hole by accusing Jimmy Hill of being 'racist'.

Honestly that boozer should be given his papers. He's no better than some old drunk you wind up in the pub and laugh at when he starts ranting on.

Pigman II wrote:

Even now Dunphys potentially digs himself into another hole by accusing Jimmy Hill of being 'racist'.

Actually, he's spot on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I'm really getting sick of the bull the English media talk about the Irish team, did you hear him talking about how we made the world cup finals with teamwork and determination. Will they ever give us some credit, we've had some damn good players in the last ten years.

It was a pity Dunphy couldn't stand up to what he had said, he really backed down.

I didn't know Liddle had previously written articles complaining about the amount of media coverage the Irish team receive in Britain, that coupled with his original article show that Dunphy was absolutely right labelling him writing Tabloid crap with more than a hint of racism.

How could Dunphy defend himself? The drunken fool attacked the author not the article. Theres no place for that.

As for Liddle how is he being any worse than us tho?

How come it's almost your patriotic duty here to boo England and wish them the worst in every game yet it's not alright for them to want to do the same to us?

I think Liddle is definetly a hack who writes to get a reaction but I believe that if you've ever disrespected the English anthem or have or have ever wished them defeat for no other reason than 'dey're Engerland' then you're in no position to criticise him.

Pigman II wrote:
    How could Dunphy defend himself? The drunken fool attacked the author not the article. Theres no place for that.

On boards...
    Pigman II wrote:
    As for Liddle how is he being any worse than us tho?

Have a read of my contributions to recent threads regarding England and get back to me on that.

On boards...

Ok spend a few days here throwing around personal insults and see how long you last.
    Have a read of my contributions to recent threads regarding England and get back to me on that.

I don't need to 'get back to you' on anything as I wasn't even referring to you. By 'us' I clearly meant anyone Irish who expresses grievance and ill-will against England for no other reason than 'they are England' and I made it that much clear in my final sentence. I don't know or care what way you treat them and I didn't presume to know either so get over yourself before you go jumping to respond to stuff again that wasn't even directed at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I cut out last night's clip which was played on Joe Duffy:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/8091114/dunphy.mp3.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

The thing about Dunphy is, that nobody would or should take him seriously. He is a so called "pundit" who has turned up pissed on national TV on more than one occasions.

He has slagged off people on TV, only to retract it, on more than one occasion. He was a nobody footballer who was'nt fit to tie Johnny Giles's boot's. And now he lets himslef down once again by backing out of something he said less than 24Hr's ago.

He's a patethic shambles with a penchant for rambling alcholic breakdowns, and should be treated as such.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    I cut out last night's clip which was played on Joe Duffy:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/8091114/dunphy.mp3.html

Gets funnier everytime I hear it. You'd swear Dunphy had a crush on Roy the way he talks about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

im fuming I missed this... i was watching the sky sports coverage ffs. And I do normally flick over to see what giles and dunphy are up to... love the childish banter... but just this once - i didnt.. always the way :rolleyes:

please please please tell me someone recorded this... surely someone with sky+ recorded this? it has to eventually turn up somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Cheers eirebhoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I didn't see Dunphy's rant on RTE2 so thanks for tat EB.

I only seen his analysis after the Chelsea match and I thought he was pissed.

I thought that clip was bloody hilarious. We all know why Dunphy goes on like that so you've always got to take his ranks with a pinch of salt. Although some of the things he said last night were actually out of order.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Dunphy is an embarrassment. Everybody knows hes passionately defending his euro's.

can anyone of the 371 downloaders who have downloaded the MP3 please post it again to some other servers ? rapidshare limit reached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

It would not suprise me if the RTE producers gave him a big pat on the back, the ratings will go through the roof for the next few weeks, As somebody on boards said before, he's like the baddie out of a pantomine, and everyone knows the baddies are the most entertainiing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree with Dunphy and what he said about Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I missed the piece on the Joe Duffy show. Is that available for download anywhere, especially the piece where Dunphy apologised to Liddle? If he did so, it looks like RTE set something up like this on purpose to avoid a court case .....

Dunphy, what an eejit .... loves to wind-up others yet loses the rag ....

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

ta for uploading that, but does anyone have the full version of what happened, the above file starts after Brady had his wee sideways pop at "Roys friends in the Media", i.e. Dunphy, and thats what started it all off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redspider wrote:
    I missed the piece on the Joe Duffy show. Is that available for download anywhere, especially the piece where Dunphy apologised to Liddle? If he did so, it looks like RTE set something up like this on purpose to avoid a court case .....

Dunphy, what an eejit .... loves to wind-up others yet loses the rag ....

redspider
    I'll upload the whole Duffy program later. Dunphy actually thought he was coming on to talk about George Best but ends up in a 10 minute love-in with the man he slated the night before. Liddle was clearly on to try and get in the good books of the Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Here is the video clip from last night
    http://www.infactah.com/dunphy.wmv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aww brilliant man, cheers! think ill be saving that one! Just gotta love when dunph starts saying "keane is right about everything!"

Pigman II wrote:
    Ok spend a few days here throwing around personal insults and see how long you last.

Missed my point completely.

You said "Theres no place for that" and I continued your sentence with "on Boards" Your "The drunken fool attacked the author not the article" sounds remarkably like "attack the post not the poster", I wasn;t aware there's such a rule in the real world.

Now pull your head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Legend, thanks a billion! Thought I might never see it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Nice to see a bit of emotion and stright talking on tv for once tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Comedy Gold!

Legend MisterAnarchy, thanks for that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

at the very start:

dunphy calls Quinn a creep.

then Liam makes a statement about Keane picking his friends in the media

eamon takes this as a personal insult and says the discussion doesn't need it.

?????

after calling quinn a creep?

I can never figure out if dunphy is mentally ill or tries to be contraversial on purpose.

probably both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Big thanks for posting the video, that few minutes of TV was worth the licence fee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

You GENIUS.

Thank you very much, I missed it initially. That is fantastic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement