Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy on RTE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

masterK wrote:
    I'm really getting sick of the bull the English media talk about the Irish team, did you hear him talking about how we made the world cup finals with teamwork and determination. Will they ever give us some credit, we've had some damn good players in the last ten years.

It was a pity Dunphy couldn't stand up to what he had said, he really backed down.

I didn't know Liddle had previously written articles complaining about the amount of media coverage the Irish team receive in Britain, that coupled with his original article show that Dunphy was absolutely right labelling him writing Tabloid crap with more than a hint of racism.

That Liddle article simply wondered out loud why Ireland gets so much coverage in the UK press. ie as much as Scotland or Wales would. After all, he was saying, Ireland is a seperate soverign state and should get coverage similair to that of say Germany or France.

His piece of Keane was spot on frankly.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn, what a disapointment! I was expecting at least his pen to be flung across the desk, if not Liam Brady! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Thanks a mil for the link to the video, absolutely brilliant tv!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That has to be the best thing outta RTE in years !!!!

Looks like Traitor Boy has totally smitten Dunphy :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

hahahah, it's not often that i miss Irish telly, but this is one of those times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Missed my point completely.

You said "Theres no place for that" and I continued your sentence with "on Boards" Your "The drunken fool attacked the author not the article" sounds remarkably like "attack the post not the poster", I wasn;t aware there's such a rule in the real world.

Now pull your head in.

Please!

You know as well as I that I was comparing like with like, peer with peer. I was using boards as a comparison for what Dunphy did last night. One boards member shouldn't be dragging up personal comments about another boards member when making reference to their post and likewise one journalist shouldn't be dragging personal comments about another journalist when he's asked for an evaluation of that journalists article.

That doesn't mean that I consider boards members shouldn't (if they so wish) make comment about someone in the public domain who's out of line. As such, as far as I'm concerned Dunphy is fair game for the way he went on last night and today. I say he was drunk and he made a fool of himself so he's a drunken fool. It's up to the mods to decide if thats too much but I reckon it's a fair and accurate comment.

As for whether you weren't aware there was such guideline in 'the real world' you should ask yourself why did O'Herlihy have to tell Dunphy on 4 occasions that he was acting/talking inappropriately and why Dunphy today had to belittle himself with a public apology.

===

BTW, cheers MisterAnarchy for the clip! EB you're slipping! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thanks for the clip Mr. Anarchy. I missed it last night.
    Pigman II wrote:
    one journalist shouldn't be dragging personal comments about another journalist when he's asked for an evaluation of that journalists article.

Was it not Brady that made the dig at Dunphy? Why is dunphy being blamed for this.

I think Dunphy was spot on with his comments and I dont believe he was under the influence. That will hardly surprise anyone here.;)

The Muppet wrote:
    Was it not Brady that made the dig at Dunphy? Why is dunphy being blamed for this.
    Brady just said "Keane handpicked his friends in the media". It was Dunphy who decided it was directed at him personally and then went off on one.
    I think Dunphy was spot on with his comments and I dont believe he was under the influence. That will hardly surprise anyone here.;)

Why was his speech so slurred then ..... and who is Roy Quinn btw? All I'll say is I wouldn't have lit a match within 6inches of him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Hang on . Dunphy starts off by saying that Niall Quin is a creep and then says that he don't believe that personal insults are healthy .

He is off his bloody head , he is on a rand and so in love with Keane its bordering on the obsessive .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dunphy is a good friend of Keane. It is what good friends do. Stick up for each other. Let's face it, Dunphy is the face of Keane on TV. And he is the only reason RTE is worth watching, you can predict what the other guys are going to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

To be honest, if I was Keane I'd be embarassed by that.

But yes, fantastic TV. Once you take the same approach you take to someone like Dolan or Roddy Collins, don't take them seriously and just enjoy the entertainment value.

Pigman II wrote:
    Brady just said "Keane handpicked his friends in the media". It was Dunphy who decided it was directed at him personally and then went off on one.

It's irrelevant who Brady was talking about, you made the point that Journalists should not be taking pot shots at one another and blamed Dunphy for it. I was just pointing out that Brady was the fist to do that last night.

Pigman II wrote:
    Why was his speech so slurred then ..... and who is Roy Quinn btw? All I'll say is I wouldn't have lit a match within 6inches of him.

Dunphy was irate , apart from that he appeared to know exactly what he was saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

The Muppet wrote:
    It's irrelevant who Brady was talking about, you made the point that Journalists should not be taking pot shots at one another and blamed Dunphy for it. I was just pointing out that Brady was the fist to do that last night.
    Yeah that's a fair point. I'm not here to defend Brady either but at least he didn't name names or talk about people with the level of disrespect and incoherency that Dunphy did.
    Dunphy was irate , apart from that he appeared to know exactly what he was saying.
    Yeah because by the grace of god he had written it all down on a page right in front of him. I stand my my apprasel that the man was drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Here is the video clip from last night
    http://www.infactah.com/dunphy.wmv

Thanks a million for that. Cant believe I missed it.

Download Faster! :v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Could someone please upload todays liveline I would greatly appreciate if they could please:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Dunphy's an idiot, not doubt. Brady baited him nicely and it made for great Telly!!. Cheers MisterAnarchy!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Pigman II wrote:
    Yeah because by the grace of god he had written it all down on a page right in front of him. I stand my my apprasel that the man was drunk.

I thought so too. Wouldn't exactly be the first time either. He wasn't completley hammered ala world cup 2002, but he'd had a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

MisterAnarchy sir you are a gentleman of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

shabbyroad wrote:
    MisterAnarchy sir you are a gentleman of the highest order.
    Indeed.
    Downloading it and cant wait.
    Thanks a mil man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

MisterAnarchy = ledge :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Wonder if we'll see Keane giving up his testimonial money like the "idiot" Quinn did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Thanks Mister Anrachy,

Looking at that piece of video, Id say Brady and Dunphy had an agrument before the show about Keane. Watch it again and you'll see they hardly look at each other except when Brady says.."What if Bobby Charlton said that about you when you were a kid there".

I just want to remind people, remember the Ireland Cameroon game in 2002 and Dunphy came on wearing the Cameroon colours. Then he said on the highlights programme he wanted Ireland knocked out so the FAI would get the finger out on proper planning etc.

John Giles disagreed with him because "Niall Quinn, Steve Staunton and Alan Kelly would never play another World Cup"

But since there were in the "ANTI-KEANE Camp" Wanted them and Ireland out!

I thought it made for great tv!

You wouldnt think of a plot like it for apres match.

i was rubbing my hands with glee saying "oooh! he he" as the row was taking place.

I dont always agree with Dunphy but TV would certainly be duller without him.

I think Bill is brilliant too the way he inputs into the debate. When he refused to give that journalists name the expression on his face was as if to say, "have i dug a huge hole here for us?!" Brady was looking at the ceiling an awful lot as if to say, "oh lord, give me strength!!!"

Brady and Giles were simply stating that Keane exercised his opinion in the media too much for his own good but ED seems to think if you are a world class player you have the divine right to say and do what you like.

Keane is class but his attitude towards the coaching heirarchy for both club and country at times left a lot to be desired.

And i dont think he would have liked it one bit if Bobby Charlton for example slated him in the media like keane supposedly done to his team mates, sure he cant take it when someone else is being slagged off let alone himself.

i dont really like this Ron Liddle guy. If a player like Roy Keane represented england we'd hear his name ringing in our ears.

But he didnt deserve to have his private life attacked on air. It was similar to Mourinho's voyeur comments some weeks back in which it had no relevenance to the argument it was brought up in whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Pigman II wrote:
    Please!

You know as well as I that I was comparing like with like, peer with peer. I was using boards as a comparison for what Dunphy did last night. One boards member shouldn't be dragging up personal comments about another boards member when making reference to their post and likewise one journalist shouldn't be dragging personal comments about another journalist when he's asked for an evaluation of that journalists article.

That doesn't mean that I consider boards members shouldn't (if they so wish) make comment about someone in the public domain who's out of line. As such, as far as I'm concerned Dunphy is fair game for the way he went on last night and today. I say he was drunk and he made a fool of himself so he's a drunken fool. It's up to the mods to decide if thats too much but I reckon it's a fair and accurate comment.

As for whether you weren't aware there was such guideline in 'the real world' you should ask yourself why did O'Herlihy have to tell Dunphy on 4 occasions that he was acting/talking inappropriately and why Dunphy today had to belittle himself with a public apology.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I thought it made for great tv!

You wouldnt think of a plot like it for apres match.

i was rubbing my hands with glee saying "oooh! he he" as the row was taking place.

I dont always agree with Dunphy but TV would certainly be duller without him.

I think Bill is brilliant too the way he inputs into the debate. When he refused to give that journalists name the expression on his face was as if to say, "have i dug a huge hole here for us?!" Brady was looking at the ceiling an awful lot as if to say, "oh lord, give me strength!!!"

Brady and Giles were simply stating that Keane exercised his opinion in the media too much for his own good but ED seems to think if you are a world class player you have the divine right to say and do what you like.

Keane is class but his attitude towards the coaching heirarchy for both club and country at times left a lot to be desired.

And i dont think he would have liked it one bit if Bobby Charlton for example slated him in the media like keane supposedly done to his team mates, sure he cant take it when someone else is being slagged off let alone himself.

i dont really like this Ron Liddle guy. If a player like Roy Keane represented england we'd hear his name ringing in our ears.

But he didnt deserve to have his private life attacked on air. It was similar to Mourinho's voyeur comments some weeks back in which it had no relevenance to the argument it was brought up in whatsoever.

Spot on!
    Dunphy is a lunatic! You cant be saying that **** about peoples personal problems or their private life on TV especially state TV.

Brady is right to comment on it. Keane does over step his mark sometimes right, sometimes wrong!
    Brady has more knowledege of the game then Dunphy and Giles put together. He is also the only man in the studio how is still working as a coach for a top european team... says it all really.

Good TV though ;)

Here is the video clip from last night
    http://www.infactah.com/dunphy.wmv

what size is it???

Jank wrote:
    Spot On!

LOL! You must be the first person ever to agree with me on my hundreds of posts on boards Jank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This is just quality, I'm just watching it now.
    Dunphy, he has to be drunk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

PHB wrote:
    This is just quality, I'm just watching it now.
    Dunphy, he has to be drunk

Definately, He slurs alot!
    Its 24.5 mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm glad ye are all enjoying the clip but I cant take credit for it ,I was just sent the link by a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

well it certainly makes for brilliant tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 header

fair play to eammo for saying it like it is he was right in what he said about niall quinn shame more soccer pundits arent like him rock on eammo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Lemlin wrote:
    Wonder if we'll see Keane giving up his testimonial money like the "idiot" Quinn did?
    See, this is what bugs me about Quinn. He's a total show-boater, as has been stated. He does things like that to save face, and come off looking like the good guy. His role in Saipan sickened me - had the chance to be part of it at the time, waited till after and then pretended to be worried and want to be the peace broker. Muppet.

Keano goes out and does charity work in quiet. Do people realise that he apparently used visit the childrens hospital here in Dublin, quietly, on his own time, before just about every international? No? Well that's because you don't hear things like this about Keane. That's because he's no Quinn. He does these things because it brings a little bit of joy to a sick kids life. Not to be shown up as some saint.

Give Quinn a sainthood. it's what he's after. Muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

See, this is what bugs me about Quinn. He's a total show-boater, as has been stated. He does things like that to save face, and come off looking like the good guy. His role in Saipan sickened me - had the chance to be part of it at the time, waited till after and then pretended to be worried and want to be the peace broker. Muppet.

Keano goes out and does charity work in quiet. Do people realise that he apparently used visit the childrens hospital here in Dublin, quietly, on his own time, before just about every international? No? Well that's because you don't hear things like this about Keane. That's because he's no Quinn. He does these things because it brings a little bit of joy to a sick kids life. Not to be shown up as some saint.

Give Quinn a sainthood. it's what he's after. Muppet.

Whatever your opinion of Quinn, he raised over 1 million for charities from his testimonial. Every penny of that could have went into his own pocket.

I think the important word in your piece about Keane is "Do people realise that he apparently used visit the childrens hospital here in Dublin, quietly, on his own time, before just about every international?".

Read Keane's autobiography, and the autobiography of others like Lee Sharpe and Ryan Giggs. They'll give you a unique insight into Roy Keane the person, not the player. And, after reading some of the comments about how Keane treated his fellow players at United, especially from Sharpe's autobiography, I'd struggle to see how Dunphy could call him a gentleman.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well done. That's very mature. Posts like that make your opinions sound foolish.

.... or am I just missing the point again and that's your impression of Dunphy as he slept it off during the Chelsea match?

ED seems to think if you are a world class player you have the divine right to say and do what you like.

Of course he has the right to say what he likes, we all do. His attitude is exactly what made him the class player you say he was. I have yet to see a supporter disagree with Keanes alledged comments so he is being slated for speaking his mind. That's typically Irish we very seldom complain and appear to see anyone that has the conviction to voice their opinions as having a flawed character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    BTW, cheers MisterAnarchy for the clip! EB you're slipping! :)
    I was about to edit my post with the link until MisterAnarchy beat me to it. ;)

Liveline:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/8127634/dunphy_joe.mp3.html

eirebhoy wrote:
    I was about to edit my post with the link until MisterAnarchy beat me to it. ;)

I believe ya ..... ;)

No worrys anyway. I reckon your position here as 'King of linking' is safe for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Blackjack AND dirkey_wynne BANNED.

If this continues then we will be going back to the sponsorship method. That is not an idle threat, the number of bannings since we have changed the method of access are higher than in any other one week period since the bad old days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The Muppet wrote:
    Of course he has the right to say what he likes, we all do.

This is perhaps the crux of Dunphy's argument as well, that he has a right to say what he likes. However, Dunphy, Keane and anyone taking this line then also have to accept the consequences and not complain that people dont like what was said, and people dont agree with how and where it was said.

Its like anything in life. If a "nobody" stood on O'Connell St and said that Man Utd players (Ferdinand, etc) were crap, no-one would care, in fact no-one would listen. Its not what was said but who said it, and where and how they said it. He was the captain of Man U, and he has to be responsible for what he says, for what he does.

Obviously Ferguson didnt agree with his actions and took the unprecedented step of sacking him. Likewise Mick McCarthy didnt agree with his actions in Saipan and took the unprecedented step then of "sending him home". Both thought that what he was doing was bad for the team. So much for Keane always doing what is right for the team!

So, he's been sacked from Man U and Roy, Dunphy, and whoever who goes along the line "he can say what he likes", has to accept that sacking, and not complain! If you dish it out, you have to accept it, and not complain!

By the way, I just got the chance to listen to the full piece on TV, I missed the first few minutes, and the piece on Joe Duffy. Thanks to those for putting these files up and posting the links (eirebhoy, etc).

Dunphy (on the Joe Duffy show): "What I said was completely out of order. I genuinely apologise." (about Rod Liddle). Dunphy also mentioned that Liddle was a good journalist. etc etc etc. Its funny how Dunpht changed his tune completely in less than 24 hrs.

I was speaking with someone from RTE yesterday, and it was as I had suspected. That Dunphy and Liddle were brought together on the Duffy show on purpose so that Dunphy could apologise in public to Liddle. Whether this was to avoid a potential court case, or just media difficulties, or to punish Eamon or a mixture of all of the above, is not clear, but this was stage-managed.

On Roy, we still have the two camps. Those that think Keane is God, and those that think he has flaws, like his challenge against Alfie Haaland. I had another discussion with someone last night about Roy, and it went down the Halland foul route, and they were trying to bring in the fact that Gerrard has committed two-footed tackles, etc.

But two wrongs do not make a right. Why is it that some people cannot look at Roy Keane and see the flaws that he has, the mistakes that he has done, and just accept them? Roy got kicked out of a world cup team, and Man Utd. There aren't many players who have had that happen to them. Roy is not an example of total professionalism, by any shape of the imagintion.

redspider

redspider wrote:

On Roy, we still have the two camps. Those that think Keane is God, and those that think he has flaws, like his challenge against Alfie Haaland.

I'd be more inclined to say three camps, the two you've mentioned, and a third that believes Keane deserted his country and acts like a thug on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Blackjack AND dirkey_wynne BANNED.

Just out of interest, why were they banned?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Breach of the charter.

I hope that I have quenched your thirst for knowledge.

Breach of the charter.

So right then, I take it that it's this part that they've breached?
    Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at groups of fans or sports personalities people will not be tolerated. We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit. Occasions of personal abuse against another board member will result in a one week ban. The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to personal abuse.
    Gandalf wrote:
    Looks like Traitor Boy has totally smitten Dunphy

Is that not the same thing?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'm glad ye are all enjoying the clip but I cant take credit for it ,I was just sent the link by a friend.

Fairplay anyways.

Is that not the same thing?

B.

Do ye know what this equates to, players trying to get other players booked in a match. and we all know what we think of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Breach of the charter.

It they had of used quote marks to encapsulate their "insults" would that have been ok?

Roddy23 wrote:
    Do ye know what this equates to, players trying to get other players booked in a match. and we all know what we think of that.
    Not at all. I'm just highlighting the lack of consistancy. I
    don't want to get Gandalf banned at all, he's actually a very nice guy, but sometimes it just seems like there's different rules for different people.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Not at all. I'm just highlighting the lack of consistancy. I
    don't want to get Gandalf banned at all, he's actually a very nice guy, but sometimes it just seems like there's different rules for different people.

B.

Maybe somebody used this to complain about the other two, and nobody's done the same for Gandalf's post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Maybe somebody used this to complain about the other two, and nobody's done the same for Gandalf's post?

Why should that make a difference?

Hobart wrote:
    Why should that make a difference?

Maybe T4FT didn't see Gandalf's post, but had his attention drawn to the other two?

Maybe the fact that loads of people continually refer to Keane as "The Traitor" or "Traitor Boy" suggests that its not seen as an abusive term?

• Advertisement
Advertisement