Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Maybe T4FT didn't see Gandalf's post, but had his attention drawn to the other two?
    Maybe, maybe not.
    Maybe the fact that loads of people continually refer to Keane as "The Traitor" or "Traitor Boy" suggests that its not seen as an abusive term?
    Maybe you should leave it up to the Mod to decide that? IMO the two bannings were arbitary and over the top, and have distracted from this thread. Maybe the charter needs updating wrt what is and is not acceptable when it comes down to "abusive terms". Maybe responding to somebody else's post with "zzzzzzzzzzzz" (don't know if there is enough Z's there) could be seen as in breach of the charter? I dunno, maybe/maybe not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hobart wrote:

Maybe you should leave it up to the Mod to decide that?

Think you might need a dose of your own medicine there.
    Hobart wrote:
    Maybe responding to somebody else's post with "zzzzzzzzzzzz" (don't know if there is enough Z's there) could be seen as in breach of the charter? I dunno, maybe/maybe not?

I capitalised the first z.

If you've a problem with any of my posts, you know what to do.

*hint* its in my sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hobart wrote:
    Why should that make a difference?

You must know well why it makes a difference.

Another user was banned a few days ago for calling somone "an idiot". If the mods did not take the same action against Flap jack for the exact same thing someon else would be liable to be moaning about inconsistancies and bias towards against certain teams supporters as we saw recently.

Users should cop themselves on. There is absolutely no need to use any derogatory terms to get your point across here as doing so in a forum like soccer usually ends up in a row. It appears in this instance that they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Second thread this week to descend into the abise and both involving Keane and personal insults...had a discussion on this already but everything on that thread seems to be cleaned out!! :(

The Muppet wrote:
    You must know well why it makes a difference.

Another user was banned a few days ago for calling somone "an idiot". If the mods did not take the same action against Flap jack for the exact same thing someon else would be liable to be moaning about inconsistancies and bias towards against certain teams supporters as we saw recently.

Users should cop themselves on. There is absolutely no need to use any derogatory terms to get your point across here as doing so in a forum like soccer usually ends up in a row. It appears in this instance that they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.
    What exactly are you talking about? Why are you even quoting me? What has your diatribe got to do with my question to therecklessone?

Hobart wrote:
    What exactly are you talking about?

My Post seems pretty clear to me , what eactly are you having difficulty with?
    Hobart wrote:
    Why are you even quoting me?

It's just a nasty habit I have of quoting the point I am replying to. I use it as an indication to what I am talking about. (ref your first point)

Hobart wrote:
    What has your diatribe got to do with my question to therecklessone?

You appeared to be confused over the way the modding system ehere works which is surprising considering you are one. If the post was not reported there is no guarantee that Gandalfs post was seen by the mods as this is a busy forum and they can not be expected to read all posts.

I hope that clarifies things for you but if your still having difficulties let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Big Nelly wrote:
    Second thread this week to descend into the abise and both involving Keane and personal insults...had a discussion on this already but everything on that thread seems to be cleaned out!! :(
    :D Childish finger pointing seems apt for an Eamon Dunphy thread. The Muppet, I'm disappointed in you as an elder for getting involved tsk tsk ;)

The Muppet wrote:
    My Post seems pretty clear to me , what eactly are you having difficulty with?
    I am having difficulty with the correlation of you quoting me on a point and going off on a diatribe as to why a user was banned for calling somebody an idiot.What is the connection?
    It's just a nasty habit I have of quoting the point I am replying to. I use it as an indication to what I am talking about. (ref your first point)
    My first point? Not the point you quoted? Which? What point?
    You appeared to be confused over the way the modding system ehere works which is surprising considering you are one.
    2 Things. 1) Why do you think that I am confused with the moderation here? and 2) Why do you think that the fact that I am a mod on another forum would have any influence on my opinion of the way that this board is modded?
    If the post was not reported there is no guarantee that Gandalfs post was seen by the mods as this is a busy forum and they can not be expected to read all posts.
    I never debated that. You, for 1, cannot be sure as to wether a post was reported or not. The fact that TFTF has not responded to this thread since Bazmo* highlighted the fact that a previous mod had commited a similar "crime" has shed no light on this point 1 way or another. Nor has he responded to my question on the banning.
    I hope that clarifies things for you but if your still having difficulties let me know.
    Why don't you just come straight out and say what happened? You and I know what happened. Why not just say it? You are allowed made mistakes you know. For the record here's what happened:

You seen my post. You decided that a good opening line would be "You must know well why it makes a difference". Nice opening shot, if my initial query was "Why were they banned". Ahh! But, you see. It wasn't.

My query was, why should the reporting of a post make any difference to a user(s) being banned, than the fact somebody has gone and highlighted the fact that another user appeared to commit the same crime and get off scot free? That was my point..

You go on to further dig yourself deeper by moaning on about "Another user being banned.... Users should cop themselves on... yada yada yada....yawn tbh... " which bears no releation to my initial question at all!!

Next you try to worm yourself out of the situation by doing what you should have done in the first place. reading what I was responding too. You try to save some face by skewing your arguement and referring to my "initial" point (whatever thats supposed to mean????) and try to divert from your initial mistake by mismashing a lot of hot air and telling me I should know better. It's laughable really. I would tell you to grow up and admit that you have "fooked up", but I fear I may be in breach of the charter if I did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Thanks for your opinion of the dunphy incident, hobart.

Davei141 wrote:
    Thanks for your opinion of the dunphy incident, hobart.
    So you read page 1 then davey?

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    I am having difficulty with the correlation of you quoting me on a point and going off on a diatribe as to why a user was banned for calling somebody an idiot.What is the connection?

My first point? Not the point you quoted? Which? What point?

2 Things. 1) Why do you think that I am confused with the moderation here? and 2) Why do you think that the fact that I am a mod on another forum would have any influence on my opinion of the way that this board is modded? I never debated that. You, for 1, cannot be sure as to wether a post was reported or not. The fact that TFTF has not responded to this thread since Bazmo* highlighted the fact that a previous mod had commited a similar "crime" has shed no light on this point 1 way or another. Nor has he responded to my question on the banning.

Why don't you just come straight out and say what happened? You and I know what happened. Why not just say it? You are allowed made mistakes you know. For the record here's what happened:

You seen my post. You decided that a good opening line would be "You must know well why it makes a difference". Nice opening shot, if my initial query was "Why were they banned". Ahh! But, you see. It wasn't.

My query was, why should the reporting of a post make any difference to a user(s) being banned, than the fact somebody has gone and highlighted the fact that another user appeared to commit the same crime and get off scot free? That was my point..

You go on to further dig yourself deeper by moaning on about "Another user being banned.... Users should cop themselves on... yada yada yada....yawn tbh... " which bears no releation to my initial question at all!!

Next you try to worm yourself out of the situation by doing what you should have done in the first place. reading what I was responding too. You try to save some face by skewing your arguement and referring to my "initial" point (whatever thats supposed to mean????) and try to divert from your initial mistake by mismashing a lot of hot air and telling me I should know better. It's laughable really. I would tell you to grow up and admit that you have "fooked up", but I fear I may be in breach of the charter if I did that.

Hobart I will ignore all that personal stuff because I don't know you and you dont know me Ok. The facts as I see it is that I responded to one of your posts in a civil manner stating you should know why the report post function should be used and then I made a point in general directed at everyone else in the forum 1 Post 2 points. You then verbally attacked me for my post calling it a diatribe.

I Stand by my inital point to you that being a mod you should perfectly understand the procedure for reporting posts and the importance of the report post function in that process and why if an offending post is not reported it may be missed by the mods and go unpunished on such a busy forum.

I suggest we leave it at that and let the thread get back on topic. If you're not satisfied with that take it to pm .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 header

keaneo is ledgend and was 1off irelands greatest players he is to honest 4his own good sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

header wrote:
    keaneo is ledgend and was 1off irelands greatest players he is to honest 4his own good sometimes

great.

but this thread doesnt really have anything to do with keane. ITs about Eamon Dunphy being the mature and sensible chap that he is...

so i take it you dont like eammo?:confused:

The clip is brilliant entertainment wise. there should be award ceremonies for moments like that , but something dunphy said irritated me a bit.

He made a point keane had more courage and conviction then liam brady or giles ever had, which taking nothing away from Keane i think it is a grossly unfair comment.

Brady and Giles as Dunphy should know, played in an era where opposition (i.e Chppoer Harris, Tommy Smith, Kenny Burns) would spare you no pity. Where pitches were slurry pits in the winter time and Car Parks in the summer time.

I seen the whole of that 79 cup final on video where Arsenal were demoralised after united had pulled the game back to 2-2 but Liam Brady, despite his legs ready to give way, managed to put the bare last drop of energy in his body into making a fantastic run down the field and making the perfect pass for Graham Rix to cross the ball in for Alan Sunderland to score the winner.

My father often tells me that in Brady's first or second season at Juventus they had a penalty in the last minute of the last game of the season or so to win the league. No one volunteered to take responsibility but up stepped Chippy Brady and buried it. Obviously perhaps he's not sexually attracted to either Brady or Giles unlike his obvious love for keane but what a load of b*llocks to say they didnt have as much conviction or courage as RK.

Dont get me wrong, Roy is one of the old school at heart in his physical guile on the field, which i admire but he plays in an era where attention to detail is most important such as pitch quality and referees are alot more strict.

I didnt see alot of Giles to give a view on him but Its unfair to contrast the 3 midfielders imo.

The Muppet wrote:
    Hobart I will ignore all ..........

Grand and whatever.

tipp_Gunner makes a very valid point, and one I had alluded to earlier. Dunphy, when confronted with an "attack" on somebody whom he held in respect, and paid him quite a bit to bankroll him for a while, showed his true colors by going on a personal attack against Brady, and to a lesser extent Giles.

As was highlighted earlier, we should not forget that this is the "drunk" that appeared on national TV in an opposition shirt and hoped that we would loose in order that the manager "should be thought a lesson".

ok eammo was wrong to do that hobart but at least he says it like it is .not like the puppets jhonny all false smiles giles and boring liambrady

Hobart wrote:

As was highlighted earlier, we should not forget that this is the "drunk" that appeared on national TV in an opposition shirt and hoped that we would loose in order that the manager "should be thought a lesson".

This being the manager that had just weakened our national team by orchestrating a situation so he could humiliate our best player and send him home a few days before we participated in the most important tournament in world football.

The Muppet wrote:
    This being the manager that had just weakened our national team by orchestrating a situation so he could humiliate our best player and send him home a few days before we participated in the most important tournament in world football.
    This justifies Dunphy's actions in front of the Irish nation (dubious though your "allegations" are)?

I believe there may have been one or two threads on Keane leaving the Irish squad. Maybe you should take your "allegations" up there.

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    This justifies Dunphy's actions in front of the Irish nation ?

Now you have it.

What did you find "dubious" about my comments?

so hobart yo think it was ok for macarthy to humiliate keaneo in front off his team mates how would you you feel if your boss humiliated you the way macarthy did to keaneo in front of the rest off your workmates keaneo is a ledgend who stood up to the fai macarthy and his so called team mates if macarthy had issues to deal with keaneo it should have been in private not in a room full off his team mates macarthy was jelaous off keaneo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lads, lads. There's three sides to that story:. McCarthy's, Keane's and the truth.

Only one of those is true and, since none of us were there, ye are commenting on pure speculation. Anyway, that discussion should have been left alone a long time ago.

This one is about Eamonn Dunphy.

The Muppet wrote:
    Now you have it.
    So a bust up between a player and a manager justifies this? I'm sure even Keane would admit that Dunphy was wrong in his actions, whatever his intentions. In some countries he and you would be called traitors to the flag for supporting such actions.
    What did you find "dubious" about my comments?
    That they are unsubstantiated. Why, were you there?
    header wrote:
    so hobart yo think it was ok for macarthy to humiliate keaneo in front off his team mates
    I think McCarthy hands were pushed, by keane courting the media in the way he did and in the interview he gave to the IT. However I do think it was wrong (if the reports are true) that McCarthy tried to undermine and embarress Keane.

Thats why it's a little ironic, and frakly a bit sad, that we have people on here trying to defend this player, a player that has been branded a traitor, for doing exactly to his own team mates what he was complaing was being done to him in saipan.

macarthy handled the whole situation badly and keaneo was not playing up to the media ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well if you've said it must be true :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

header wrote:
    macarthy handled the whole situation badly and keaneo was not playing up to the media ...
    I never said that he "played up" to the media. The "encounters" Keane had with the media, around the saipan incident, are well documented and are not in dispute, by either side of the McCarthy V Keane camps.

Firstly Keane left a BBQ organised by the FAI early, and went for a sulk in his room, because the FAI had the temerity to invite Cathal Dervan to the event.

Secondly Keane insitgated a meeting, behind the back of his manager and teammates in Saipan, with Tom Humphreis and Paul Kimmage. The result of these interviews, instigated the whole Saipan incident.

Some might say that if you choose to sleep with whores, you should not complain when you wake up with the clap. Some might say that Keane was letting his manager and teammates down by trying to undermine the whole camp. Others might say that as captain, and recognising the effect the interview would have on the moral of his teammates, that he should not have given it. Others would probably point out that if conditions where as bad as he described, a more productive approach would have been to concentrate his efforts on building moral in the team, instead of complaining about everything.

Tom Humphries had the foresight to allow Keane read through the piece before the copy was filed with the copy taker, an unusal practice in newpapers. Humphries had the intellegience to see the sh1t storm that was about to arise. Keane, in his wisdom, decided to let the copy run as it was written. The rest as they say, is history.

Move on a few years and we find Keane once more in trouble, and this time sacked, because of his inability to keep his mouth shut. Again he chooses a course of action that beggers belief. Recognising that his team, a team he captains, is going through a rough patch, what does he decide to do? He went goes out of his way to embarress HIS teammates and to undermine HIS manager.

He simply cannot be trusted.When he was required to step up to the mark, both in the world cup and as Manu are going through a rocky patch, what did he do? He turned his back of his teammates. He is a huge destabilising influence on any team, and he has proven, through HIS actions that he cannot be relied on when a team needs it's captain most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

sorry lads, can any of you put that dunphy.wmv video clip up on rapid share?? i'm after loosing it on the pc, gotta show the lads this one!! cheers

Hobart wrote:
    Move on a few years and we find Keane once more in trouble, and this time sacked, because of his inability to keep his mouth shut.

Would that fall into the catagory of " dubious accusation" or were you there?;)

The Muppet wrote:
    Would that fall into the catagory of " dubious accusation" or were you there?;)
    Why don't you address my points, instead of concentrating on trying to pick little holes.

The following statement may contain some untruths

Actually your right, I think the fact that Keane was such a bad player, his contract was not up at the end of the season, he had not been a loyal servant to Manu. He had not undermined his teammates. He did not undermine his manager. And he was not sacked.:rolleyes:

Hobart wrote:
    Why don't you address my points, instead of concentrating on trying to pick little holes.

Dubious accustaion it is so.

I'm happy to address any on topic point made in a civil maner that does not contain a veiled insult. I will make an exception to the comment below as it casts a doubt on my patriosm.
    Hobart wrote:
    So a bust up between a player and a manager justifies this? I'm sure even Keane would admit that Dunphy was wrong in his actions, whatever his intentions. In some countries he and you would be called traitors to the flag for supporting such actions.

Yes we are very lucky that we don't have narrow minded people like that in this country who would judge peoples patriosm to their flag by the football team they choose to support.

Personally I think its a poor reflection on the management of the national team . How can they expect loyalty from the fans when our national association sells the rights to see the games live to a foreign broadcaster.

With such short sighted decisions being made it's hardly surprising that the last time it was polled here the majority of Irish football fans put club before country. I suppose you consider that to be treason too.

Apologies to the rest of the forum for going off topic.

• Advertisement

yes because we all know that dervan is anti roykeane and so in in love with macarthy theway he was/is always singing macarthys praises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

header wrote:
    yes because we all know that dervan is anti roykeane and so in in love with macarthy theway he was/is always singing dervans praises

What the ****?

The Muppet wrote:
    Of course he has the right to say what he likes, we all do. His attitude is exactly what made him the class player you say he was. I have yet to see a supporter disagree with Keanes alledged comments so he is being slated for speaking his mind. That's typically Irish we very seldom complain and appear to see anyone that has the conviction to voice their opinions as having a flawed character.

fair enough he can say what he likes and id probably agree with the lambasting but we all have boundaries to keep to and maintain professional conduct. its not alot to to ask and keane failed to do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Sorry to digress....That video link seems to be down...anybody got another link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Still cant believe people here think Dunphy is still right! All he is is a lot of hot air. He cant stand Brady because Brady was not only a way better player then him but also shows up Dunphy each time they appear on TV.

The point about Bobby Chalrton saying your ****, was a perfect example of this.

Mindless hot air who just makes TV interesting
    He has to cop himself on otherwise RTE will tell him **** off ya drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jank wrote:
    Still cant believe people here think Dunphy is still right! All he is is a lot of hot air. He cant stand Brady because Brady was not only a way better player then him but also shows up Dunphy each time they appear on TV.

The point about Bobby Chalrton saying your ****, was a perfect example of this.

Mindless hot air who just makes TV interesting
    He has to cop himself on otherwise RTE will tell him **** off ya drunk

No they won't. Ever. He is saving that terrible soccer program. The ratings are brilliant with him on. He is a lot of hot air, but it is refreshing to see. I'm bitter since he said Barcelona are not a super team people think they are...i think that is bull****. But mark my words, if the lad gets it wrong he will say so. Sure he speaks so derrogatory about my beloved Manchester United.

cheesedude wrote:
    No they won't. Ever. He is saving that terrible soccer program. The ratings are brilliant with him on. He is a lot of hot air, but it is refreshing to see. I'm bitter since he said Barcelona are not a super team people think they are...i think that is bull****. But mark my words, if the lad gets it wrong he will say so. Sure he speaks so derrogatory about my beloved Manchester United.

Of course I cant see RTE getting rid of him but one of these days he will do a cock up and get himself and RTE sued.....
    He is an entertainer, that is all he is but does his opinion matter?? Not at all
    He picks the flavour of the month and goes with it. Changes his tune all the time.
    After a while this new "refreshing" attitude will get tiring.

Anyway its good to see Brady humiliate him all the time. They are a good trio though.

Giles for his predictability
    Brady for his tactical insights
    Dunphy for his...suppose drunken antics

fair enough he can say what he likes and id probably agree with the lambasting but we all have boundaries to keep to and maintain professional conduct. its not alot to to ask and keane failed to do this!

Which incident are you referring to and how in your opinion did he fail to maintain professional conduct ?

The Muppet wrote:
    Whic incident are you referring to and How did he fail to maintain Professional Conduct ?

Alfie Haland?

eammo is the only worthwhile pundit on rte the rest are rubbish eammo tells it like it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

header wrote:
    eammo is the only worthwhile pundit on rte the rest are rubbish eammo tells it like it is

Give it a rest will you? You're hardly winning anyone over with your amazing debating skills. Eamo is great to watch if you take what he says with a pinch of salt. He does not tell it like it is. Saying Roy Keane is right about everything is not telling it like it is. Calling Niall Quinn a creep (although some people may share this opinion) is not telling it like it is.

There is a difference in telling it like it is and being a lunatic?

jank wrote:
    There is a difference in telling it like it is and being a lunatic?

There speaks the voice of experience.:D

Sorry Jank, I couldn't resist.;)

The Muppet wrote:
    There speaks the voice of experience.:D

Sorry Jank, I couldn't resist.;)

I see Muppet that old habits die hard for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

That link isn't working any more.

Anyone got another link/fancy hosting it for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Vidjo

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

the rte panel are definetly the best panel around as they are the only one's that tell it like it is. As for Dunphy he tells it like it is but he has got a blind spot when it comes to keano

Missed this little collection of Gems.
    The Muppet wrote:
    Dubious accustaion it is so.
    When you have the manager of the team declaring that "It was his decision and his decision alone" , I tend to take his word for it. Various media reports that Keane was sacked. Media reports of his reaction to being sacked. The weight of evidence would support this theory, whatever the spin put on it my Manu inc.

Yes we are very lucky that we don't have narrow minded people like that in this country who would judge peoples patriosm to their flag by the football team they choose to support.
    I was not referring to a club. I was referring to the Irish National Squad.
    Personally I think its a poor reflection on the management of the national team . How can they expect loyalty from the fans when our national association sells the rights to see the games live to a foreign broadcaster.
    What has that got to do with the price of chips? Really, you are clutching at straws. By your analagy, England footie fans should support another team, because Sky Sport has the rights to the Home competitive games. Irish racing fans should shun the coverage of racing from Lepordstown because of CH4's coverage. There are numerous examples of where teams or associations have gotten the "best deal" for themselves. Why should this ever be an issue?
    With such short sighted decisions being made it's hardly surprising that the last time it was polled here the majority of Irish football fans put club before country. I suppose you consider that to be treason too.
    Where did I mention the word treason? Do you know what treason is? As for your "poll", it's hardly representitive of the majority of Isish fans now, is it?
    Apologies to the rest of the forum for going off topic.
    On the contrary I would say that the subject matter is very much on topic. We are, after all, discussing the fact that Dunphy seems to support RK no matter how "thuggish" and "traitorish" his actions are believed to be by a substantial amount of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Advertisement