Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankcard Skimming in Galway !

Options
  • 24-11-2005 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Folks, be extra careful using your bankcard in Galway. I know 2 people who had their cards done in the last 10 days in Galway. One had €1000 taken out, but the other account holder was skint but they tried to take money out of her account too. The first was was in some TSB branch in the City Centre and the second was at the AIB outside Dunnes Stores in Terryland.
    Its not a nice thing to happen but especially before Xmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

My friend's parents got done for €1500 in the BoI atm out in Oranmore during the summer. Not very pleasant at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

DO you mean when they have a small card reader stuck to the machine that clones your details? or that they just watch you number and steal you bag/wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

DO you mean when they have a small card reader stuck to the machine that clones your details? or that they just watch you number and steal you bag/wallet?

either or.... you have to know what you are doing for the first one. The secondone, you could be some knuckle dragging tit from ballinfoyle. (I have nothing against the place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you covered by the bank in this case?

I always cover my hand when entering my pin, so surely beyond that if some thug robs me blind its hardly within my control??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

They install a skimmer over the card slot and either stand near you or disguise a camera as a pamphlet holder.

Ie, if the machine has a pamphlet holder be immediately suspicious.

I try to physically remove the plastic over the card reader before I insert the card at every machine (some are skimmerproofed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

During the day time I nearly alway use the machine inside the banks, much faster....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

:mad: :mad: :mad:
    My mates missus used her card in the AIB Dunnes Stores terryland,and hey presto €2100 taken out of her account,€600 limit a day,they waited until 12.01am to make another withdrawal.
    I think they have a link to a laptop in a car/van from the camera!
    Smells Like Russian mafia to me!
    johnnyboy4711

:mad: :mad: :mad:
    My mates missus used her card in the AIB Dunnes Stores terryland,and hey presto €2100 taken out of her account,€600 limit a day,they waited until 12.01am to make another withdrawal.
    I think they have a link to a laptop in a car/van from the camera!
    Smells Like Russian mafia to me!
    johnnyboy4711

bastardos!!!!

That's gotta be seriously rough!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

hey, complete newbie here, but getting slightly scared - when did the AIB Terryland thing happen? (cause I used that machine this week as well, and haven't checked my balance yet...). Is there any help to be expected from AIB in case this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I always have a look around the card slot before i put my card in, likewise while entering my pin i place my wallet above the keypad so that nobody can see my pin number been entered. It's just a matter of keeping an eye out and been aware of the risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I always cover the keypad with my hand as well and make sure noone is too close to me (apart from the obvious check of the card slot) - but what do you do if these fraudsters install fake keypads???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

To ppl placing their hands/wallet etc over their PIN, it's not gonna matter any more because they have these new devices that electronically record the PIN with sensors, aswell as the card with the extra magnetic card reader.. then they submit the card info/PIN wirelessly using bluetooth to a laptop nearby.. or so I've heard anyway :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    then they submit the card info/PIN wirelessly using bluetooth to a laptop nearby..

In which case given Bluetooth has a range of 10metres it pays just to keep an eye on whose hanging about when you go to an ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Yeah they usually sit in parked cars near the ATM

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    Yeah they usually sit in parked cars near the ATM

Well thank you for scaring the crap outta me!

I'm gonna be soooooo paranoid everytime i go to get money, from now on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well thank you for scaring the crap outta me!

I'm gonna be soooooo paranoid everytime i go to get money, from now on!

Red goes to the Atm. Its a cold night, and the patter of slow footsteps are obvious as they echo off the very machine he taps his password into, hand clutched protectively over the screen.

There's a dry racking cough, and upon quick inspection, the car park is empty, save for the lonely pensioner shuffling home after a night's drinking.

Red grabs the 20 ejected from the machine, eyes darting nervously around him.

The old man stops momentarily, catching his racking breath that expells in dry hacking coughs.

Red snaps, jams his atm card into his bulging wallet and rushes over to a shuffling old pale man near the atm, grabbing him feriously and roughing him up somewhat fierce before flinging him to the ground.

somewhere in the distance a child begins to cry.

"Wheres the gear, you foreign devil you!"

Were you following me last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Red goes to the Atm. Its a cold night, and the patter of slow footsteps are obvious as they echo off the very machine he taps his password into, hand clutched protectively over the screen.

There's a dry racking cough, and upon quick inspection, the car park is empty, save for the lonely pensioner shuffling home after a night's drinking.

Red grabs the 20 ejected from the machine, eyes darting nervously around him.

The old man stops momentarily, catching his racking breath that expells in dry hacking coughs.

Red snaps, jams his atm card into his bulging wallet and rushes over to a shuffling old pale man near the atm, grabbing him feriously and roughing him up somewhat fierce before flinging him to the ground.

somewhere in the distance a child begins to cry.

"Wheres the gear, you foreign devil you!"
    HAHAHA Brill !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

galah wrote:
    I always cover the keypad with my hand as well and make sure noone is too close to me (apart from the obvious check of the card slot) - but what do you do if these fraudsters install fake keypads???
    Before you push card in, give the card reader a good old tug and for good measure, try to remove keypad. If these fail, you're now kinda safe.
    Move on to glance over your shouloders repeatedly while you cover yourself and machine with this. You are now safe - withdraw money. Then start running from the men in the white coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Never mind the blanket. All you need is this.

Tin%20Foil%20hat.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement