Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

password protecting outlook? is it possible?

• 24-11-2005 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

We are running microsoft outlook 2000 in the office and i wanted to know if it is possible to put a password on the inbox or even on the whole program so it wont start without it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not really. What OS are you using? What type of mail server is Outlook connecting to? The solution will be different depending on the answers to these :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Windows XP.

As for mail server i think it's SMTP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If you are using Windows XP you can set up passwords at the login level..

If each user has their own profile they will only be able to get at the mail assigned to them..

Using Group Policy you can even restrict them running Outlook or Mail altogether if you need to go down that route...

Ginger wrote:
    If you are using Windows XP you can set up passwords at the login level..

If each user has their own profile they will only be able to get at the mail assigned to them..

Using Group Policy you can even restrict them running Outlook or Mail altogether if you need to go down that route...

Yes i know this. But the problem is the computer i want to protect is only used by 1 person, and when they are away from there desk she thinks/knows onesome is reading her mails.

So she asked me if they could be password protected.

If they cant i might just put a screen saver on with a password to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

You can set outlook to require a password before it opens, so they would need to remember to close outlook everytime she leaves the desk.
    Can't remember how to do it though it's been a while, Google it and you should be grand.

21/25

• Advertisement

You can lock the machine (quick key Windows Key + L) when you walk away if needs be. Once you get into the habit its very easy

After that I dont think you can lock Outlook itself...

Ginger wrote:
    You can lock the machine (quick key Windows Key + L) when you walk away if needs be. Once you get into the habit its very easy

After that I dont think you can lock Outlook itself...

doesn't work

Locking the machine...

Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and select lock machine???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

there are a bunch of programs like this, that allow you to password protect an .exe. That is a freeware one.

In your case just password protect Outlook.exe, so that when the program is run you are prompted for a password.

Of course the person still has to close outlook when she is away from the pc for this to work...

You can also press ctrl alt del and then choose 'lock computer'. (Do you have to have logons to the pc enabled for this option, as opposed to auto logon?).

Was just thinking that .. if autologin is enabled lock wont work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

depends
    if you store emails in a pst file then you can password protect it.

if your exchange server is on a different domain then you can use a different passwored for it - or you could setup a separate user account to access email so it asks for a different logon. outlook 2K does NOT remember domain logins like 2003 does so you would probably have to type the user name , domain name and password each time - a real pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

NeVeR wrote:
    Yes i know this. But the problem is the computer i want to protect is only used by 1 person, and when they are away from there desk she thinks/knows onesome is reading her mails.

Does someone have her mail password? And read her mail elsewhere? Locking Outlook will do SFA in such a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement