Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat

Options
  • 24-11-2005 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi -

My sister ordered an iRiver from the States and the now the post office are looking for 50 odd quid for VAT before they'll hand over the goods.

Is this cause it was ordered from the US

Someone pls advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

yup. Sometimes they get you .it's the chance you take when ordering from the US. (unless it is sent as a present).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

It was posted from my mate in Chicago but came from his work office - Can I prove its a present ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

you have to pay vat duty on gifts over €45, though it is hit and miss. non gifts upto €22 I think.
    He should have sent it and marked as a gift of $40. What value did he put on it. VAT/Duty is calculated on the declared value AND the postage. Thats why I insist on cheap shipping from the US

Advertisement