Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist/Agnostic Literature

Options
  • 24-11-2005 10:56am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a sticky?

There're a wealth of great reading out there, so for anyone who's looking for relevant reading matter how about we recommend some good material? Everybody has their favorites no doubt.

There are plenty of obvious choices, but I'm just going to suggest two from Carl Sagan.

The Demon Haunted World - Very relevant here as a critical (but light-hearted) analysis of the supernatural, religion, psuedoscience etc.

Cosmos
    - Just read it!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Cosmos - Just read it!

Programs from the (original?) video version of this book are being continually posted to usenet's alt.binaries.multimedia.documentaries, if anybody's interested and has access to the binary newsgroups (http://www.easynews.com is good and at $10 per month, it's value that's hard to beat!). Anyhow, despite Cosmos being produced over twenty years ago, and despite the odd cringeful late-70's moment, it's still fresh, thought-provoking and *thoroughly* entertaining.

Jonathan Miller's telly series on Atheism was recently rebroadcast on BBC one, with the last program going out last Monday week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/atheism.shtml

...I have these on DIVX if anybody's interested, together with the Atheism tapes mentioned on the same page.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote:
    Anyhow, despite Cosmos being produced over twenty years ago, and despite the odd cringeful late-70's moment, it's still fresh, thought-provoking and *thoroughly* entertaining.
    I bought a box-set like this one on eBay and it played fine for me.
    (It's a Hong Kong version, but in English, and apparantly region-free).

Advertisement