Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Removing Linux from dual-boot

• 24-11-2005 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Right then, I have Linux and Windows dual booted on my pc... I want to get rid of Linux. The problem is that the boot manager GRUB sits in the master-boot-record and to my knowledge the conf file sits on the Linux partition. If I remove Linux it will remove the conf file and I wont get my boot manager window? If I uninstall Linux, boot to the Windows Recovery Console and run 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' wil this solve the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Berkel wrote:
    If I uninstall Linux, boot to the Windows Recovery Console and run 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' wil this solve the problem?

yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

If you get stuck you should be able to enter the grub console even if it can't find the conf files. You can tell it to boot windows manually from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Berkel wrote:
    boot to the Windows Recovery Console and run 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' wil this solve the problem?

Yes that will work fine,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

presumably you want to also reclaim your hard disk space. you may in fact be better off reinstalling windows to clean up your hard disk while you're at it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Red Alert wrote:
    presumably you want to also reclaim your hard disk space. you may in fact be better off reinstalling windows to clean up your hard disk while you're at it.
    Not much point
    If the windows drive was NTFS then Unix/Linux/BSD won't write to it unless you tweak it up. And NTFS drives can be increased in size in Disk Admin easily (Disk admin will let you delete foreign partitions, you can later use the linux util ntsfresize to shrink again ;) if you want room for linux)

If the drive was FAT32 then you just delete any files you don't need.

I'll keep saying this till people understand it :)
    reinstalling windows inherits setting. so it won't ever be "clean"
    reinstalling will solve many program corrupt file problems but won't solve some corrupt settings problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement