Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources: Shopping for recording gear

Options
  • 24-11-2005 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Here's some info about what i know/think about shopping for recording where I live and on the net (reply with your own county and I'll update this post - also Sticky would be nice).

Galway:
    Modern Music - Middle Street, Galway - Nice guy in there (his name is Mike I think), prices aren't too bad and if you're in there regularly he'll give you a discount when you buy stuff. Renowned for telling you he'll have things in on Tuesday...
    Back2music - Abbeygate Street, Galway - Unfortunately I think he's the only Marshall dealer in Galway, and the guy will really try to make you feel unwelcome. He most certainly doesn't want you trying stuff before you buy it. Prices are high and put simply if you don' thave your wits about you and know what you're talking about, he'll try to rip you off. I've never found anyone who disagrees with this. He's a last resort for me.
    Sound2light - Great for buying PA's and recording stuff - Liosbaun Industrial Estate - they deal Behringer for those on a budget and they do rentals for big days out etc. For some reason they seem to be very unknown in Galway but they're very nice to deal with.

Internet:
    www.thomann.de - These guys are my heroes, great customer service, good prices and fixed rate shipping of €20. Their search engine can be a bit rubbish at times though so I usually search for reviews on zzounds first.
    www.music123.com - Shipping prices are massive but every once in a while it works out cheaper than Thomann. Watch out though because sometimes they ship with GLS (think that's their name) who are a bunch of taxing bastids and you'll have to pay a load of customs duty that you didn't know about.
    www.gak.co.uk - Again they have fixed shipping prices and stock some things that Thomann don't. Had a great experience dealing with them, stuff arrived really fast.
    dolphinmusic.co.uk - Prices on microphones are great but I've never ordered from them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Cheers Grasshopa. Never heard of Sound2light, will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

STICKY! Good post! :v:

grasshopa - what a great cafe ;)

Advertisement