Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Shock

Options
  • 24-11-2005 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

After playing System Shock 2 a while back I have to say that it is one of the best games I have ever played. Anyway I picked up System Shock and installed it last night but it wont seem to run too well as it is an old DOS games.

Any advice? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Try using Dosbox

Get it here: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Works for the majority of my old games

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

You will probably have to try Dosbox or something.
    SS2 was and still is a class game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

SS runs like crap on DOSBox (although might be my processor), I've had limited success in the past following the instructions in the thread Koneko posted (still runs like arse though).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

it is a great game..

..pity everyone warzed it and no one bought it tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

You can get it for free - legally - now anyway.

Downloaded them both at one stage or another and never get either of them working properly. Pity, I've heard they're great but have never played either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Goodshape wrote:
    You can get it for free - legally - now anyway.

Downloaded them both at one stage or another and never get either of them working properly. Pity, I've heard they're great but have never played either.

Where? will System Shock 2 run no probs on XP?

Pff. I have a legit copy of SS2 at home! Somewhere...

Big Nelly: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69958
    There's a link to a download page in the sticky (free games) by monument, it's on underdogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

The TTLG community are incredibly anti warez, so I doubt they have a link to the underdogs SS2 download. If you look at the main forum they even have a sticky "SYSTEM SHOCK 2 IS NOT ABANDONWARE!".

To run System Shock 1 you need:-

NOLFB.exe
    MOUSE2KV.exe
    Dos4gw.exe (1_97)
    VDMSound
    VDMSound 2.0.4 Update 2
    VDMS Launch Pad 1.0.1.1
    Mok's modified System Shock XP patch

Then create a batch file, here's mine

@echo off
    C:\systemsh\nolfb.com
    C:\systemsh\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 cdshock.exe

Then run with VDMS.

I have no problems with System Shock2 on XP, you'll need the official patch.
    You'll also need to install the indeo codec's.

Ive noticed that if you run WindowsMediaPlayer (perhaps other players too), close it, then run SystemShock2 the ingame movies wont play. So do a restart before playing just in case.

This link should help you with SS2 problems, especially if you have HyperThreading
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69958

TomCo wrote:
    The TTLG community are increidbly anti warez, so I doubt they have a link to the underdogs SS2 download. If you look at the main forum they even have a sticky "SYSTEM SHOCK 2 IS NOT ABANDONWARE!".

The sticky I'm referring to (with the download link) is here on boards, posted by Monument. The TTLG page is just for getting it working on 2k/XP, as Big Nelly was asking about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

if you have SS2 and like it, you should be able to pick up a copy for a fiver in game on budget range..

its the most warzed game in history imho - and if you have it and like it you should buy it [esp as its on budget]

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Even if you can't get it to run, take solace in the fact that BioShock - the spiritual successor to SS2 will be out soon, possibly even before Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm pretty sure you can still find SS2 around the place in bargain bundles.

I'm also pretty sure SS2 works ok under XP - it might need a patch though (and look out for the third-party updated models pack someone did).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Is it necessary to play SS1 before the SS2?

No, but you'd probably have a greater appreciation for certain plot details, minor references to the first game.

If you can get the first game to run (or even if you can) you should check out http://www.shamusyoung.com/ and read 'Free Radical'. Its not canonical but its pretty close not to mention completely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Pah! I payed full whack on release for SS2. Worth every god damned penny. Back when pc games came in proper big boxes, I always felt like I got my money's worth with those boxes.

Not SS1 though, had to get that from a certain house of low canine's. Never did see it around.

Anyone remember Terra Nova? That was quality, another top drawer Looking Glass title that no one bought.

There are subtle references to System Shock in Terra Nova (or visa vera), some believe it is set in the same universe.

Advertisement