Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macedonia to leave Ireland behind

Options
  • 24-11-2005 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭

I'm sure some of you have read the article in TheReg about Macedonia becoming the world biggest WLAN, here's a quote which I found interesting.
    In 2003 only 40 per cent of the population owned a computer.
    As far as I remember Ireland's 2005 figure is 42% (?) so in otherwords Macedonia's current 2005 figure is probably well ahead of ours; not only will they have more computers then us in Ireland but they will have a far better internet infrastructure then us as well. Which means Ireland is racing to try and keep up with Macedonia. Amazing. Article here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'm sure some of you have read the article in TheReg about Macedonia becoming the world biggest WLAN

Our ownership is probably more like 50% but we are a lot richer than they are . Nevertheless Macedonia is another competitor we must watch (along with Estonia, Greece and Bulgaria as we already know to our cost) .

Here is the Macedonian Definition of Communications Poor , by the Macedonians themselves .
    ...In terms of communication-technology, the citizens of Republic of Macedonia are rather 'poor'.

Besides the fixed telephone line and to certain extent the mobile telephony, all other communication means are rarity, and some of them are almost an exception.

That is, 89.9% of all the polled have telephones at home, 35.3% have cable TV in their households, 13.3% satellite TV antennas, 27.4% have computers at home (not 42%) and 8.9% have credit cards.

Those figures I italicised (bar PC ownership at home) are REMARKABLY similar to ours . Therefore Ireland is ICT Poor BY MACEDONIAN STANDARDS .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Therefore Ireland is ICT Poor BY MACEDONIAN STANDARDS.
    We truly are living in an age of unparalled wealth and prosperity! Soon we will be ICT poor by Greek standards! Can't wait, this country has no where to go but down.

Advertisement