Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best... less than 24 hours to live

• 24-11-2005 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Seems like his number is up now.

Doctor says he "would be surprised if he survived another 24 hours"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I for one hope he goes quickly, and with the least amount of media coverage possible.

Sould we really care that this pathetic waster who has pissed most of his life away is dying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

He only has a few more hours, and, the sooner the better to be honest. Don't mean that in a callous way, but the long boring "fight" is in no-one's interest. Not Best's, not his family's, not the doctors', not the public's.

Latest; there's "no return" from the situation he's in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Well, I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, as this is a football forum, we can all agree (I'd say) that one of the greatest ever footballers is about to die, so it is kinda sad from that perspective, same as it would have been sad if Diego Maradona had died a couple of years ago when he was sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I wouldn't have the opinion that he was one of the greatest footballers, Maradona on the other hand, genius.

Spose this isn't the place to debate how good he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

bazH wrote:
    I for one hope he goes quickly, and with the least amount of media coverage possible.

Sould we really care that this pathetic waster who has pissed most of his life away is dying?

Yes of course we should care. Probably the greatest footballer ever from this island is about to die and you find it appropriate to insult him. You have obviously never had to deal with alcoholism first hand. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well tbh I'm sorry for his family, but one thing that sticks in my throat is the fact he got a Liver Transplant, I mean that Liver could have went to someone who respected their body and the value of life.

Great footballer mind you, one of the best ever to come from this wee Island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭finlma

Its a terrible shame and a very sad day. I hope he passes away quickly for his and his families sake. One of the greatest ever footballers.

No need for inappropriate comments when a man is on his death-bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

irish1 wrote:
    Well tbh I'm sorry for his family, but one thing that sticks in my throat is the fact he got a Liver Transplant, I mean that Liver could have went to someone who respected their body and the value of life.

Orit could have went to an average joe who was an alcoholic and the same would have happened. By all accounts (ie the doctors who know more than us) it was an infection due to the anti rejection medication he was taking. He was hardly drinking in hospital an dyet his condition has worsened so drink might have taken his first Liver but the was more to him endingup like this the second time round.

Nice bit of compassion there Baz, any other sick people you want to chuck a bit of abuse at?

Not nice seeing all the reporters outside the hospital on deathwatch, they look like a bunch of ambulance chasers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Stekelly wrote:
    Not nice seeing all the reporters outside the hospital on deathwatch, they look like a bunch of ambulance chasers.

More like vultures.

Anyway, imho no matter what you may think of him it's sad to see him go out this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

finlma wrote:
    Its a terrible shame and a very sad day. I hope he passes away quickly for his and his families sake. One of the greatest ever footballers.

No need for inappropriate comments when a man is on his death-bed.

I'm glad somebody wrote this, regardless to what George best did in his lifetime its not very honourable to talk a load of spiel about a dying man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

Hes in his death bed and still people come out with this jive.
    Respect please.

It also sicknes me the way the press are hounding around outside waiting for him to die.

How must his family feel having to walk in to say goodbye and walk by that, as if it wasnt hard enough.

At least the pain has ended.
    Goodbye Besty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

People say such moronic things when they haven't a clue what its like to be an alcoholic drinking heavily for over 40 years. Someone close to me is fond of the drink and I am pretty certain if he was told to quit or die he'd be back on the drink after a month or two. Alcoholism is a disease and for an alcoholic to sit around the house doing nothing must be torture. Remember George Best for what he did best and not for choosing to take his own life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

bazH wrote:

You are sick and twisted and you are making a show of yourself.

Just to clarify, I am sorry for George and his family, it's never nice to see anyway pass away. My point simply was I think someone else could have had a better life with a liver transplant and as for someone saying it could have went to another alcohoic, AFAIK people are vetted before getting a transplant and alcoholics don't normally qualify.

I'm sorry if people don't like that, but I don't have much sympathy for alcoholics, my mother burried her 45 year old brother last week who was an alcoholic and I wouldn't have liked him to have got a Liver transplant either, he didn't respect his body or his life either.

As someone said though we should try and remember Best for his great Talent on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish1 wrote:
    My point simply was I think someone else could have had a better life with a liver transplant and as for someone saying it could have went to another alcohoic, AFAIK people are vetted before getting a transplant and alcoholics don't normally qualify.

By that reckoning then we might as well stop operating on people that partake in extreme sports.

B.

Well a NHS hospital in ipswich has stopped carrying out operations on people who are obese. Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought people were vetted before transplants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

cheesedude wrote:
    You are sick and twisted and you are making a show of yourself.

Well said.

Disgusting comments on a dying man Bazh.

As for Bests entitlement to treatment are we not all entitled to treatment when we fall ill? Should smokers be denied treatment for smoking associated ilnesses or should victimes of accidents be denied trreatment if they are found to be in some way responsible for teh accident. Who's to say if the organs went to someone else they would have changed thier lifestyle.

I really don't want to turn this into a big debate on the rights and wrongs of his transplant, I just gave my opinion based on my experiences of a close relative dying because he was alcholic and seen story's of people fighting for their lives who can't get transplants.

From liverfoundation.org
    Should alcoholics receive a liver transplant?
    Some medical centers will not transplant alcoholics because they believe a substantial percentage will return to drinking. Other centers require abstinence from drinking at least six months before and after surgery, plus enrollment in a counseling program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Incredible footballer.

Horrible disease which took over him.
    I however feel no sympathy for him as I know of a young child who died because they didn't get the replacement liver they needed to survive, so its hard to feel bad for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

George Best was the best footballer to ever come out of the UK. Of course it's a very bad time.
    Obviously he has had his problems, but something he didn't have the power to control.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

One of the best footballers of all time. Hopefully his passing will not go on too much longer.

Humanities is the place to talk about the rights and wrongs of giving a liver to an alcoholic, this is the football forum. He was an incredible footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's sad. Apparently his last words before slipping into a coma were "Don't die like me".

EDIT: Also apparently, his organs are going to be donated, so at least he's giving something back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

Would his organs be any use with his level of abuse?

I have no experience in all that, so just wondering

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Very sad to see a man with so much talent to go out like this. He had loads to offer the world, and drink has taken that away from him. I hope he doesn't have to suffer any more.

Despite it all, he will always be a legend in the eyes of us United supporters. The greatest player ever to ever put on the red shirt.

Simply the BEST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

air_vent wrote:
    Would his organs be any use with his level of abuse?

I have no experience in all that, so just wondering

Some of his organs may be of use, at least for medical testing and stuff like that I'm guessing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's very sad that soon he will be gone, but at least he's gotten to do some incredible things in his life and his son is fully grown; he's not leaving a job unfinished there.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Blisterman wrote:
    It's sad. Apparently his last words before slipping into a coma were "Don't die like me".
    I know we'll all want to remember him for his amazing talent on the pitch, but I think he will want us to rememeber how he ruined it off the pitch.
    If he can serve as an example to some up-and-coming young sports stars to control their lives, it's the greatest thing that can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

whiskeyman wrote:
    I know we'll all want to remember him for his amazing talent on the pitch, but I think he will want us to rememeber how he ruined it off the pitch.
    If he can serve as an example to some up-and-coming young sports stars to control their lives, it's the greatest thing that can happen.

nice post.

we all have our feelings but this is a football forum, and this is a footballer dying. sad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

besty was an unbelievably talented footballer and it is tragic that such a terrible disease took him over.

He willl be remembered forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Unfortunately, I never seen him play, other than the clips you see on TV.

However, he scored a goal when he was playing out in the states that was just unbelievable. I'm sure the news channels will have it in their tribute footage over the next few days.

Class.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As a footballer few have matched the talents of George Best. An absolutely brilliant fotballer and the best one this island of ours has ever produced.

I hope people everywhere will look at Best and realise the dangers of drinking too much. Its a sad day but he will always be remembered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

A fantastic footballer. Many who seen him play say he was the best ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

fantastic player, pity he piddled it all away....God rest ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Being an alcoholic is hard enough but it must be twice as hard to be a famous alcoholic. He would never be turned away from a pub or refused a drink, because people are selfish and will want to say "george Best drank here" or "I had George Best in the pub". Paul McGrath is going through a similar situation and it's a sad thing to see.

Advertisement