Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aquarium sand

Options
  • 24-11-2005 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi

Could anyone Advise Me on what sand would be suitable For an aqurium

No aquarium Shop I have gone into have sand and I have heard So Many things about what different sand should And Could be used?

IM not looking for crusted coral sand just normal sand

Anyone Any ideas?????

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I use zoomed reptisand in my softshell's tank and it works really well, it has added calcium too. When your adding it just add a little at a time, while adding water.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Thanks Shelli

What does the added calcium do? how does it Effect PH etc

any ideas?

rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ramon

Calcium is alkaline...as far as I can remember from my LC Chemistry???

So would it act the same way as crushed Coral Sand ?

And raise the ph to alkaline?

See I Want To get Sand for

1, my discus tank ( hence why Im looking for normal sand)

2 Am Setting up a African Mbuna Chiclid tank os the ph raise works well,

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I wouldnt knwo about PH levels sorry, just remember to put a plastic disc or rock under the filter intake, it'll stop the intake of sand nearly completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Kiddies play pit sand is inert. I've used it in the past for a community set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

as long as no cat has done the do in it

How acidic is ammonia! :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Kids play sand is what you use, Its really cheap unlike the stuff in aquarium shops which is way over priced like most things.

Remember to wash it for ages and ages and when your finished washing it wash it again and again, other wise your tank will cloud for a long time.

Thanks Silver knight

Kids play sand it is, take it you can get it Anywhere like b&Q etc etc???

rob

As fair as I can remember reading Ammonia can be more deadly depending on the PH level

the more .01 acidic the more damage done by ammonia of something Along those lines anyway

I think...

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

switched a tank to sand a while ago .. found some in Clondalkin NewsLands garden center ( they have a nice fish section )
    try giving them a call they migh have some in stock

i since went back to gravel/coral .. never sand again !! too dirty/messy ( i have a chiclid tank)

Dark Jedi, I was up in the petshop I was telling you about in Dundrum (Breffni Pets) and I asked him if he had aquarium sand. Told him it was for a tnk with Discus and immediately pointed to sand and started talking about PH levels and alkaline etc. So, I quess they have it!!

Seemed to have several colours too

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

Fishfx in Dun Laoghaire have white river sand
    not too expensive but cant remember..?
    give them a ring and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

FishFX is the most expensive shop on the planet. I only go in there if im stuck. Aquatic village are much better and they have an online shop and any order over a tenner gets free delivery.

Really!! Aquatic village have a website .. cool!! what is the url??

Thanks Buddy, yeh thats the Sand crushed corel Sand I was talking about it raises the Ph To 8 so wouldnt be Abel To use with discus as the water needs to be Acid around 6.2/6.4 than alkaline, so I can use it For A african chiclid tank,

http://www.aquatic-village.com/home.asp is the url your looking for,

but havnt Seen it when I went to the shop and havnt Seen it on there Site,

Thanks

Advertisement