Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Request:Engine oil recommeded

Options
  • 24-11-2005 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Not looking for top of the range,looking for semi syntheic.Do a lot of miles so if there is a special on a large quantity(within reason lads:D )might suit.Bottom line is an oil that will do the job well and good price to boot

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

what make/model car is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

If you care about your car at all then oil and oil filters are not something you want to try to economise on. It's a false economy.
    Semi synthetic Castrol Magnatec (which contains an ester mix) can be bought for about 25 euros for 4.5 litres.
    The price difference between a good and a bad oil filter can be less than a fiver. Don't ever try to economise here. Fram is a brand that I have seen in many tests and reviews as being the worst for quality, so that's a brand to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

IrishRover wrote:
    Semi synthetic Castrol Magnatec (which contains an ester mix) can be bought for about 25 euros for 4.5 litres.

Thats what i was gonna reccomend next,ive always used castrol gtx but ive found that its shot up in price lately.........

Just make sure you get the correct viscosity that your manufacturer reccomends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

eireal wrote:
    Thats what i was gonna reccomend next,ive always used castrol gtx but ive found that its shot up in price lately.........
    Yeh I noticed it was €36 for 5 ltrs there the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I remember seeing a big barrel of engine oil on sale somewhere. Might have been the old Motorway store in Blanchardstown before it became Halfords. You could try Halfords to see if they have oil in bulk quantities but I doubt it. In any case, you should check out their own brand semi synth oils which will be a bit cheaper than brand names. Once the vicosity, API/ACEA rating and type are suitable for your car they should be fine. I have never personally used them and usually use Castrol oils as like a lot of people have a "thing" about brand names when it comes to engine oils.

As for filters, I noticed that German Swedish & French car parts on Clondalkin do bulk deals on filters. These would be good brand names and genuine filters. Not much good if you have a car which isn't German, Swedish or French tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

BrianD3 wrote:
    I remember seeing a big barrel of engine oil on sale somewhere. Might have been the old Motorway store in Blanchardstown before it became Halfords.
    Yeh Motorway used to sell it alright....they sold it all off at half price when they were closing down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks for the replies lads, might seem a bit extreme but does any car sites do reviews on oils?. What would be the big difference between different filters

Cubix

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Read this for oil info: www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

I have started getting my oils through goup buys with Sinon from Opie Oils (www.opieoils.co.uk) in the UK. I recently got (IIRC) 20L of Silkolene SS 5W40 and 2L of gearbox oil for about €200 delivered to a friend who distributed it. Maybe do something similar here. If you do then tell him that kbannon referred you, - not that I get anything but so he looks after you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers KBannon;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

cubix wrote:
    what would be the big difference between different filters
    Oil filters tested
    http://www.autoair.co.uk/Filters.htm

Simon from Opie oils posts long detailed oil related articles on hundreds of motoring forums all over the net under the username oilman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement