Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed New Property Tax - Radio last night

Options
  • 24-11-2005 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey, I caught the end of a news bullitin last night, and one of the headlines was that a new property tax has been put forward and that there have been calls to abolish tax relief on mortgages???? Now this was on one of the tabloid style radio stations (Spin 103.8 I think) but is there any truth to this? I was livid when I heard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

apperantly this was in the times Yesterday, did anyone read about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I heard they guy who suggested it.
    It really means nothing as I could suggest the remove stamp duty and it could be called a proposal.
    The chat was about a standrad charge for all without weight on property value. It is all about keeping Ireland competative. The intresting part about is it has been suggested before but by social friendly policies. If both views agree it could possibly have weight. The big problem is it would be extremely unpopular with the voting public and unlike car restricting measures it doesn't have to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Guys ... I dind't hear the radio show. What were the basics of the conversation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

Property tax = political suicide. I can't see it happening unless the majority of the population were renters which they most certainly are not (although growing in numbers).

I would be open to tax on second homes though. Might be worth a debate on?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

The guy was asked how would it be implemented. Don't know the name of the council he was from but his reply was. "We just come up with ideas, we don't deal with how they will be implemented" I laughed out loud:D .

Later I heard Mary Hearney saying it would not happen. Polictical suicide as Andy Warhol said.

One possible alternative which may be more acceptable (or less unacceptable ?) is the carbon tax proposal where each home in the country is audited from an energy saving point of view and a bad rating will mean you have to pay an annual carbon tax on your home. This would be more acceptable as it is a green issue and it is also something that you can do something to avoid by making your home more energy efficient, thus saving money on energy costs. i.e lazy people pay. You could call it a lazy tax;)

• Advertisement

Why don't they stop trying to tax people and to save money .. get the people who don't bother their asses to look for jobs to do just that!!

I'm not talking about people who genuinely cannot find a job .. I am talking about those people who won't do a FAS course and sit on their arses doing nothing. You know who you are!!

The ones who say "Oh no, thats below me" .. when they have NO qualifications and no plans for betterment. Happy leaching off those who work feckin hard for a living.
    I'm getting pissed off with the like of it!! taxes, taxes taxes .. then they waste it on medial HR systems they don't use.

RANT!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

bubby wrote:
    Why don't they stop trying to tax people and to save money .. get the people who don't bother their asses to look for jobs to do just that!!

I'm not talking about people who genuinely cannot find a job .. I am talking about those people who won't do a FAS course and sit on their arses doing nothing. You know who you are!!

The ones who say "Oh no, thats below me" .. when they have NO qualifications and no plans for betterment. Happy leaching off those who work feckin hard for a living.
    I'm getting pissed off with the like of it!! taxes, taxes taxes .. then they waste it on medial HR systems they don't use.

RANT!!!!!

Ah here now, if we didnt pay taxes who would pay for our ministers internet degree's???

Seriously thinking of buying that THROWING HAMMER of yours joejoem!!
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

bubby wrote:

RANT!!!!!

Right on!

When I finished my college degree, I needed a job for a few months. Worked as a porter in a hotel, mopping floors and washing dishes. Obviously I left once I found a graduate job. Never occurred to me that the job was beneath me.

Just don't understand how we have over 100,000 people on the dole in this country and immigrants are able to get themselves jobs. Most unemployed Irish people could learn a lot from these recent immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its not a black & white situation

In fairness theres a lot immigrants on the dole too, its not just irish people. With the cost of living and all the benefits you'd need to be on more than min wage to support a family. Also theres never a 100% employment rate, even in boom times. As for immigrants, or young single people, and such, you know that when you are young and single, its easier to live frugally and send money home, or save money. Because you don't need that much to live on. Different situation if you have dependents, or have some sort of illness, physical or medical.

If you walk into a dole office or FAS office these days, you'll notice that theres a lot of non-Irish in there, probably the majority aren't Irish. Thats not a judgement, its just the facts. Obviously there is a hardcore who will avoid work, or FAS courses. However the system is designed to catch people who avoid the courses. But no system is infalible. Especially one which is a frequent political football.

Tax homes other than the primary residence. But people struggling to get by, or first time owner/occupiers shouldn't be penalised more than they are already.

• Advertisement

I didn't make any distinction between immigrants or people born in Ireland.That is insignificant. Irish, Nigerian, African etc ..

You are right .. its not black and white!
    ALL people on the dole should be properly means tested .. that includes those who are only temporarily in the country.

I have worked hard VERY hard, and getting a fair whack of tax deducted each month. Guess what!! When I got made redundant a few years ago they wouldn't gove me doll!!

So, to cut it short, I don't vote .. haven't for 10 years .. but the next general election this current government is out. They have made too many f-ups and are just trying to make them disappear by raising taxes. It makes me sick.

So, lets get this right .. they say .. oh .. lets peanalize homeowers to make more money for the poor people.

Before I'd agree to that .. lets single out the genuinely poor from the leaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A property tax would help take some of the heat out of the market. As it stands, there are too many supports for the industry - lower VAT rate on construction, no CGT on principal private residence, mortgage interest relief and so on.
    micmclo wrote:
    Just don't understand how we have over 100,000 people on the dole
    Many of these are part-time workers, entitled to some benefits. Commerce needs part-times workers. Blame commerce, not the workers.

Note we have the lowest (or second lowest) unemployment in the EU, it can't be made much better than this. To make it better would mean more wage inflation which would just feed through, disproportionately into price inflation.

If you want to encourage more of these people to work, you could use the money from a property tax to encourage low-income workers and the unemployed through increased tax credits.

Advertisement