Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom my arse & broadband speed:Ping Pong

• 24-11-2005 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Just signed up for Eircom for 6 months.
    I know I know, useless shower of **nts.
    However, I thought I'd give them once last chance for my custom.
    See I've presigned for Smart and if they get set up out our way I'm ok for the free phone line.
    So I placed my order, argued with the CS as to why they wouldn't deliver the router to me in work, saving me a trip to the post office on a Saturday morning. 'Sorry Sir, its our rules'.
    Bull****.
    3.5 weeks later a phone call, some foreign chappy asking why I haven't been using my broadband? 'Well I'd like to receive the thing first, if thats OK?!'
    A very apologetic foreign chappy then agreed to send me the router by courier in work. Now at this stage I had already realised that I needed a wireless adapter (usb) which cost me another €40 odd. It had arrived before the router despite being ordered two weeks later.

Now its down to my ignorence and hopefully your knowledge.
    Am I losing a lot of speed by going through the wireless adapter?
    The connection speed of the adapter is 54/56kbps, but broadband is supposed to be up to 1mbps?
    Browsing and downloading is great but I'm getting some lag playing CS evben tho I'm getting nice pings of around 60.
    Can someone explain this to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Welcome:)
    The connection speed between the USB adapter and the router is 54MBps. Your connection to the internet will only be 1MBps (2MB come January), so the wireless connection is way ahead of that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

kaizersoze wrote:
    Welcome:)
    The connection speed between the USB adapter and the router is 54MBps. Your connection to the internet will only be 1MBps (2MB come January), so the wireless connection is way ahead of that.:)

2mb?

Are eircom upgrading everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

2mb?

Are eircom upgrading everyone?
    Yep, thats the word :)
    Have a read of these couple of threads.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054853408
    and
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054853117:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Ooooooohhhhhaaaaahhhhhh

*sound of a very small penny hitting the bottom of a very deep well*

Now don't I feel a tit.
    So basically my connection is a flier, and I can tell how much of the 1mbps I am getting from the BB connection page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭badrobot

Broadband speeds are in Megabits, not Megabytes, so, in theory, you should get UP TO 1Megabit a second, i.e. around 100kilobytes per second, as far as I know.

MB=Megabytes
    Mb=Megabits

Once you have a USB 2 port on your computer, your USB wireless adapter is way, way ahead of your broadband speed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Didihno wrote:
    Hi all.
    Just signed up for Eircom for 6 months.
    I know I know, useless shower of **nts.
    However, I thought I'd give them once last chance for my custom.
    See I've presigned for Smart and if they get set up out our way I'm ok for the free phone line.
    So I placed my order, argued with the CS as to why they wouldn't deliver the router to me in work, saving me a trip to the post office on a Saturday morning. 'Sorry Sir, its our rules'.
    Bull****.
    3.5 weeks later a phone call, some foreign chappy asking why I haven't been using my broadband? 'Well I'd like to receive the thing first, if thats OK?!'
    A very apologetic foreign chappy then agreed to send me the router by courier in work. Now at this stage I had already realised that I needed a wireless adapter (usb) which cost me another €40 odd. It had arrived before the router despite being ordered two weeks later.

Now its down to my ignorence and hopefully your knowledge.
    Am I losing a lot of speed by going through the wireless adapter?
    The connection speed of the adapter is 54/56kbps, but broadband is supposed to be up to 1mbps?
    Browsing and downloading is great but I'm getting some lag playing CS evben tho I'm getting nice pings of around 60.
    Can someone explain this to me?

A friend of mine sent me a copy of her www.irishisptest.com of her Eircom 1 Meg in Dublin yesterday. Was clocked at 14k (yes k!) down.:eek:

Advertisement