Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radical philosophical noodle-scratcher

• 24-11-2005 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

There is no pure "Reality", only what is practised.

Discuss.*

* To the mods: I'm stating a position and posing a question.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Are you getting at Metaphysical subjectivism? The idea that perception creates reality to an extent and no true reality exists outside of our perception?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

Well, the fact that it IS practiced, in no matter how "impure" a form, is the only "Reality" available for study and therefore is the purest form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Playboy wrote:
    Are you getting at Metaphysical subjectivism? The idea that perception creates reality to an extent and no true reality exists outside of our perception?
    I'm not positing a form of dualism.
    Well, the fact that it IS practiced, in no matter how "impure" a form, is the only "Reality" available for study and therefore is the purest form.
    I'm neither saying that things in the world "are in themselves" nor subjectively constructed.

I'm saying the world is because it's practised and isn't when it's not practised. There's no purity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭transperson

There is no pure "Reality", only what is practised

Read in one way are you not simply crossing out Kants pure thing-in-itself, the noumena, the "pure" reality.
    and affirming that reality as we are consious of it, our processes of perception and action as experienced in consiousness, the phenomena, is reality's totality.

if so there is no justification for doing this, the whole point is that you cannot know,
    to use the example of the Gold fish from another thread, you are the gold fish in the bowl who cannot know anything outside it who then decides that all that exists is him and his bowl.

you cannot know what may be beyond "practice" if all you know is practice.

all in all, practice is a strange word, what do you mean by it?
    it is possible to construe anything from the word, language activity, perceptional activity, activity of any energy that moves in certain ways,
    but i suppose it does contain an idea of intentionality,
    so you may mean reality is intentional, or rather consiousness is intentional and reality IS consiousness???

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

I think this could be open to different interpretations. The "fact" (if it is a fact) that the world IS because it's practiced and IS NOT when its not practiced is not a definition of "reality"'s purity. Merely different states OF the one pure Reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

Could this be a question of ideology?
    If reality is 'practised', is it socially constructed?
    What kind of practices compose reality, the self, whatever?
    Work? Speech? Violence? Education? Laughter? Gnomes?
    I have absolutely no idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement