Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selection Boxes

• 24-11-2005 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

Love them or loath them, Selection Boxes are as much part of contemporary irish christmas tradition as turkey and jesus.

So what do you think of them - Cynical over piced scam/Scabby Pressy or Hours of chocolate fun/Great christmas tradition?

Whats your stance on Selection Boxes? 41 votes

Love Them
    0%
    They are Sh!te
    60%
    nesfBlue DuckrubadubNevynBlistermanKur4mABasqDoctorEdgeWildangeldelightMr.Nice GuyDinnerTar.AldariontabathaDowntimeCelticfirep~bctrl-alt-deletehoodySarah***marie* 25 votes
    Whats a Selection Box?
    39%
    byteScarinaeCreamy GoodnessChongmemphisparasiteKershKevIRLRbDonkeyStyle \o/dawballzLB6whiskeymanDave!deisemumSiogfinsceal 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They are Sh!te
    I loved them as a child, and still have some attachment to them. But nowadays I have to buy them for myself :(

Regardless, moved to Snacks/Sweets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Whats a Selection Box?
    Bah, they create extra waste by packaging things that are already packaged.
    Just give me the money instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They are Sh!te
    Love them.

They're also a great gift to give to those people who don't deserve a great gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

They are Sh!te
    Santy stopped in my house a few years ago and when it did so did our selection boxes!! So now me and my bro and 2 sisters buy them for eachother! They are defo a HUGE part of xmas for me! Cant wake up on xmas morning without one! It would be a sin!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Whats a Selection Box?
    Such a pack of overpriced / overpackaged nonsense..... but it wouldnt be Christmas without one.

Kinda sums Christmas up really...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

They teach children valuable trading skills :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

They are Sh!te
    sinecurea wrote:
    They teach children valuable trading skills :)

Exactly!!:D

I love them more than life itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They are Sh!te
    whiskeyman wrote:
    Such a pack of overpriced / overpackaged nonsense..... but it wouldnt be Christmas without one.
    They used to be way overpriced, now they can actually be a good bit cheaper. I think it is due to the supermarkets cost price selling. Even the big tins of celebrations or heroes are comparable to the price of normal bars (per weight).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Whats a Selection Box?
    Used to like them as a kid, now I don't.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Used to hate them as a kid, now I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Whats a Selection Box?
    whiskeyman wrote:

Kinda sums Christmas up really...
    Ny sentiment exactly, and yes, most certainly does sum up Christmas and everything related to it in general.

Bah-humbug!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Whats a Selection Box?
    loved em when i was ickle cos they always had a curly wurly and you couldnt get them in the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

They are Sh!te
    whiskeyman wrote:
    a pack of overpriced / overpackaged nonsense.

Yay, Christmas!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You don't buy it for the chocolate. You buy it for that warm feeling you get when you open a selection box and wonder what bar to take out the sectioned red plastic first during the christmas holidays

memories...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They are Sh!te
    your least favourite and work your way up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They are Sh!te
    your least favourite and work your way up!

pfft. You trade your least favourite bar!!

Did you learn nothing from eating said boxes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They are Sh!te
    My least favourite is still delicious, i'm fooling myself by saying it is my least favourite so i can start eating something!
    they just have different types of deliciousness, smarties and caramel bars for example. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Whats a Selection Box?
    Anyone get those Trebor selection boxes?
    Got one last year.... fab!
    Full of dip-daps, Refesher bars, black-jacks etc... stuff that I hadnt had in ages!
    Nice break from the choccy binge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Laplandman

Curly-Wurlys ahoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I always buy a couple of spare selection boxes for under the tree in case any neighbours' kids come in. It's nice to have a little gift to give out at Christmas.
    Then I lock the front door to keep the little fúckers out. More for me. Mwahhhh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Whats a Selection Box?
    meh they are just another attempt to pass off second grade chocolate to us, much like fun size bars that are around at halloween

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

They are Sh!te
    whiskeyman wrote:
    Anyone get those Trebor selection boxes?
    Got one last year.... fab!
    Full of dip-daps, Refesher bars, black-jacks etc... stuff that I hadnt had in ages!
    Nice break from the choccy binge :D

ooooo I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Don't get me wrong I like chocolate, but sweets win any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Laplandman

Come on, sweets vs. chocolate?!
    The Bassett's Allsorts man vs. ...eh
    Roy of the Rovers vs. ... emm
    Hang on a sec! Why do chocolates have no decent personalities? The Lady Who Loves Milk Tray? Good grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They are Sh!te
    Cremo wrote:
    meh they are just another attempt to pass off second grade chocolate to us, much like fun size bars that are around at halloween
    The fun size bars taste much better than the normal sized bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

So what brand of selection boxes do people usually get?
    For me, there's no question that it HAS to be a cadbury one. They rock. With the picture on the back that you have to colour in and possibly win a trip to Disneyland. They were the shiznit.
    On the one or two times I'd get a Nestlé or other selection box, it wouldn't exactly ruin Christmas, but a little part of my childhood would die.
    I really do enjoy a good selection box.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Whats a Selection Box?
    I used to always get the Galaxy ones. I loved Galaxy chocolate when I was younger! Sometimes got the Cadburys one but everyone in the playground would be desperately trying to get rid of the one that had raisins in it, I can't remember what it's called, but everyone seems to hate it. Just like when you've a box of Miniature Heroes nobody ever wants the Picnics.
    Can you not buy Curly Wurlys individually? You can definitely buy them in multipacks, my Mum always gets them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Whats a Selection Box?
    Blisterman wrote:
    The fun size bars taste much better than the normal sized bars.
    not at halloween i think.

i think they either use reject chocolate or something as they certainly don't tase as nice.

Advertisement