Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roll mops?

• 24-11-2005 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here like roll mops? I can't get enough of them. They're delish. A lot of people are put off by the fact it's raw fish.

Do you like roll mops? 15 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    I don't mind
    66% 10 votes
    I've never tried them
    13% 2 votes
    No
    20% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They are fuppin delish! I make em myself.
    Nothing nicer and I mean nothing.
    They are not really raw, like sashimi as the vinegar denatures the protein and makes it like cooked fish.
    anyway I make my own. but I can't be bothered rolling and pinning them.
    I just cut the fillets up and layer onions and spices and sweetened vinegar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Love 'em. Also love the Swedish 'sill' ... raw herring in all kinds of yummy sauces, dill, mustard, tomato and a basic one in a sweet red vinegar. You can occasionally find them here (brand name Abba!) if you're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Roll mops were mentioned in Neighbours today and I wondered what they were. Now I see this thread on the front page! There must be a message in there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

It's matjes herring wrapped around a gerkin slice and pickled as far as I remember, normally in a roll and spiked through with a cocktail stick. The vinegar has dill, mustard seed and a few other seasonings in it.
    Matjes Herring is nice "Hausfrau" art as well, where it is in cream with a few seasonings, chopped apple pieces, gerkhin, onion and served up with new potatoes generally. They are eaten a lot in the North of Germany, I sold thousands of them when I worked on the Friesian islands, they used to go down well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Matjes herring is summer herring and is a little different, the herring caught in the summer has a very high fat content up to 20% in some cases and is usually eaten lightly salted.
    The rollmopse are usually made with winter/autumn herring and the fat content isn't as high.
    Launis sell small jars (expensive) with either rollmopse, herring in madeira sauce and herring in sour cream. All are supremely tasty but a little expensive.
    I haven't tried the larger jars made by another company but they look good too, I like my roll mops a little sweet and not too sharp how about you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Matjes herring is summer herring and is a little different, the herring caught in the summer has a very high fat content up to 20% in some cases and is usually eaten lightly salted.
    Yes, when I lived in the Netherlands, it was always a cause of great jubilation when the first maatjesharingen or "Hollandse Nieuwe" of the season arrived, usually in the last week of May. There they're eaten on the street from little paper plates with liberal quantities of finely chopped onion. Hold them by their tails, dip them in onion, and tilting your head back drop them in your mouth and consume, usually in one go (leaving the tail behind of course!). Can't say I liked them to be honest ... very fatty like you say ... probably an 'acquired taste'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Roll mops are really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Love them as long as they're not too vinegary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

CJhaughey wrote:

My mistake, I assumed that Matjes was a herring variety and not just dependent on the time of year. Saw enough of the stuff, this one I never checked the background on...should have really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I generally love most kinds of cured fish. Rollmops are especially nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Ok where is the "vomit" smiley here...

I detest roll mops, bah!!!

But each one to his/her own

Advertisement