Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD V Plasma

Options
  • 24-11-2005 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi

I want to buy a 37" LCD or Plasma. Firstly is there much difference between the two, from what I have read online it seems there is not allot of difference between the two however the LCD's are a good bit expensive.

I was leaning towards getting a LCD, spec wise what are the most important things I should be looking?

I have a budget or around the 2000 euro mark. Could anybody recommend a 37" plasma or LCD for around that price?

I have read allot of stuff online and looked at a good few TV's but there is allot of information out there so if anybody could give me a few pointers then I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i dont think you can get a 37" plasma, (not that i know of, if you can i think they are rare)
    plasma starts at 42"
    if your looking for an lcd make sure its HD ready and has a good contrast ratio
    average is 800:1

The thing about lcds is that a bad source will show up easier than say on a plasma, due to the plasma basically acting like a flat crt tube.
    But at the end of the day its due to personal preference.
    some say HDTV looks best on LCD due to the sharpness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get a 37" plasma. I got a 42" panasonic 6pw from richer sounds for €2000, it was top of the range about 2 years back and it was a bargain at that price. Some say the LCDs have a longer life but a decent plasma will last ages (the electronics will tend to go before the screen these days). I now want a LCD for my room to double up as a PC monitor. THe panasonic has a low res. Other now are proper res.

Check out www.avforums.com
    The both have pros & cons, but you will not regret getting either. You may want to "future proof" it, I am not too worried about connectivity, just wanted a big decent screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yeah you can get 37" plasmas. The panasonic pv500 or pe50 would be your best bet. The pe50 is a great telly and you can't really tell the different between the two while watching a dvd. The pv500 is HD ready sort of, it's 1024 x 720. Plasmas have the edge over LCDs in black. So if you like watching dark movies plasma is a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I wouldn't touch a plasma, you'd be mad to spend that much money on a telly without getting something that will either do higher than 1280x720 or 1920x1080. I decided not to throw down TOO much money, got 1366x768

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Thanks for the replys. Have done a bit more research and found a good enough deal on Komplett, 37 LCD contrast 1200:1 and image ratio 1366 x 768 and it is also HD ready all for 1900 euros. Anything else I should keep in mind when looking at the specs?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314527&view=detailed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I wouldn't touch a plasma, you'd be mad to spend that much money on a telly without getting something that will either do higher than 1280x720 or 1920x1080. I decided not to throw down TOO much money, got 1366x768

You might not touch a plasma because it doesn't suit you, but some people want the best out of an SD picture. Plasmas can give you that. Even a downscaled HD picture will still look very good on these panels just not as good as a native res panel. People who have a lot of DVDs and watch a lot of television are still going with plasmas. Of course you can still get true hi def plasmas problem is they start at 50 inches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

I would highly reccomend www.katronics.de

Just got my Philips 32pf9830 lcd from them for €2300. Its in Power City for €3300.

It's an excellent tv.

It just takes a while for the money to transfer and then 5 working days for delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

i got a phillips 9986 37inch lcd the week after last christmas for €3500. probably cheaper now. great tv.
    They were €4500 in Arnotts and the philips shop for some months before christmas. Then the were €4000 the week after christmas in both.
    I went to arnotts and told him that i could get it for €3500 in the phillips shop and he reduced the price to that for me incl delivery.

Moral : Dont buy a lcd or plasma before January or you'll pay over a grand over the odds

Yeah Wavey that is an excellant TV I had my eye on the 37" model but it was priced around 4000 euro everywhere I looked, see its listed on the website for 3079 which is very tempting but out of my budget :(

How much was the delivery charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

You should take a look at the 37P50 from sharp. It seems to be 1 of the best for current sky and DVD viewing and every review seems to say that it provides a very good HD rendering due to the limited scaling it has to do

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

delivery was 80 yoyos.

The pf9830 series is a top class tv. I would highly reccomend it.
    Katronics prices are better than even the best new yr sale in ireland.

Going to mount it on the wall so i wont get to take advantge of the motorized swivel. :mad:

Advertisement