Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Voucher - What are my rights?

Options
  • 24-11-2005 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi there,

I won a travel voucher many years ago - way back in 99. I lost it - searched high and low, but didn't find it. I came accross it last week. It is for £500.
    I have contacted the travel agency - but they have said it was only valid for a year. No where on the voucher does it indicate an expiration date?

What are my rights here - anyone got any ideas or has anyone found themselves in a similar situation?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No expiry date on voucher means you have a case.....at the very least...... in the small claims court .

Demand satisfaction from MD of Travel Agency in writing. Simple letter. I have Voucher and you refused to honour it.

If they refuse in writing you have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Does it say anywhere "Terms & Conditions apply" or did you get additional literature (letter etc...) with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

No whiskeyman, no literature, it is just a voucher in a travel agency wallet - no mention whatsoever of Terms and Conditions

Zena wrote:
    No whiskeyman, no literature, it is just a voucher in a travel agency wallet - no mention whatsoever of Terms and Conditions
    In that case, you have a good arguement.
    Perhaps mention this to them.... saying no T&Cs are attached.
    It will show you know your stuff and they wont be able to throw any old excuse to you.
    Follow Spongebobs advice now.
    (let us know how you get on... and send us a postcard :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

Thanks Sponge Bob & Whiskeyman, I was just about to type a letter to the director but I wanted to get an idea of what I would be entitled to - I will keep it simple as advised - will keep you guys posted.
    Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Zena wrote:
    Thanks Sponge Bob & Whiskeyman, I was just about to type a letter to the director but I wanted to get an idea of what I would be entitled to - I will keep it simple as advised - will keep you guys posted.
    Many thanks

http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/refund.cfm has a bit about this - namely that it is at the companies discretion how long the voucher is valid for - I'm sure they could argue that 6 years is a loooong time and that they usually allow it for 1 year...

parsi wrote:
    http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/refund.cfm has a bit about this - namely that it is at the companies discretion how long the voucher is valid for - I'm sure they could argue that 6 years is a loooong time and that they usually allow it for 1 year...
    Maybe, but this has to be stated in the T&Cs or letter with the voucher.
    If no timeframe (that can be at the companies discretion how long for) is clearly stated, I'd say the consumer has more say.

A meal voucher for a restaurant has an explicit expiry date written on it , yours does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I wonder does the Euro conversion impact your rights, given that the voucher is in Punts? There might be some sites around detailing the rights in relation to vouchers at the time of conversion, if you fancy some Googling.

I wouldn't be too confident that the Small Claims Court will support you. 6 years is a long long time, and they might see it as unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

is 6 yrs the statute of limitation, which means that any court case taken where the time line exceeds 6 yrs can be thrown out,going to affect any court claims or does that only affect an offence such as assult etc?

• Advertisement

Small claim costs about €10 and taking the case will persuade the Travel Agent to make an offer otherwise it could cost them £500 in fees and they are currently not making any offer.

Do be prepared to settle at some stage , not for a voucher :D though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i agree with bob its worth a try alrite but im also concerned that the punt is no longer the legal currency and therefor the voucher is void,the only location taking punts is the central bank and no retailer etc is obliged to take punts now.

im not trying to put a downer on ur claim i think u should give it a go anyways but i am trying to point out probable reasons they may use to refuse u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

I work in a Travel Agency and our vouchers do not have an expiry date, they do however have a date of issue and when purchased the customer is advised that they are valid for one year from date of purchase. We extend ours by 6 months if brought into the office. We do have notices up in the office to say that this is the situation with vouchers. I dont know if you would have any luck trying to get it validated considering this is the policy of 99.9% of agencys... :) Hope this might help even if it's not exactly what you want to hear...:o

Shinners21 wrote:
    I work in a Travel Agency and our vouchers do not have an expiry date, they do however have a date of issue

well in that case the OP should drop into the travel agent tomorrow and pretend to be interested in a Voucher for a friend for the christmas and get a copy of the voucher issuing policy (= T&Cs) in writing, if there is none they have their case still I would say.

Thanks Shinners

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I think it is worth your while informing them that you will take it to the small claims court if they do not cooperate. After all they have had use of the funds for six years.
    I dont think the euro / punt is an issue since it is not cash.
    The voucher was for a stated value and not a holiday (eg flights for two and hotel in Paris) which would have gone up in value over the years.
    Do not let it go I would think you have a good chance of winning in the small claims court and after all it will only cost you 10 euro.

Good luck and let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Another reason why vouchers are rubbish if bought. Why purchase a voucher with T&Cs that are onerous? (I know the OP won the vouchers but generally I cannot understand the point of purchasing vouchers)

Advertisement