Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memory information

• 24-11-2005 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Any way of determining if the memory in the box I'm using is ECC or standard without rebooting and checking the bios?

/proc/meminfo says:
    MemTotal:      2074516 kB
    MemFree:        432304 kB
    Buffers:         43936 kB
    Cached:         592756 kB
    SwapCached:      31248 kB
    Active:        1186868 kB
    Inactive:       374448 kB
    HighTotal:     1179092 kB
    HighFree:        16512 kB
    LowTotal:       895424 kB
    LowFree:        415792 kB
    SwapTotal:     2040244 kB
    SwapFree:      1785464 kB
    Dirty:             240 kB
    Writeback:           0 kB
    Mapped:        1001544 kB
    Slab:            50224 kB
    Committed_AS:  1851804 kB
    PageTables:      11448 kB
    VmallocTotal:   106488 kB
    VmallocUsed:      3324 kB
    VmallocChunk:   102608 kB
    HugePages_Total:     0
    HugePages_Free:      0
    Hugepagesize:     2048 kB

It's a RHEL4 machine.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Heh...you're all rubbish. ;)

Rebooted it. Pain in the bum doing so, as it's a shared machine. Sorted now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Couldn't you have googled the mobo make & model?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or take off the lid and look inside ?

Ended up taking the lid off. Conveniently the box is under my desk. :) (though it is a department shared machine...that's only because I'm nice ;))

It's a dell workstation. I went to their site and stuck in the tag number, but it wasn't very clear on the ol' ram front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I find crucial.com invaluable for finding out what type of memory my $brand_name_workstation uses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.shop4memory.com has a web configurator thingy too.

in the windows word http://www.cpuid.com amongst other utils will report info back on SIMMS - so there must be an equilivant that uses "SPD"
    Module(s) specification using SPD (Serial Presence Detect) : vendor, serial number, timings table.

I used the shop4memory configurator....but the machine can take ECC or standard...so it was offering me both. :)

It arrived anyway....now I have a new problem.....

The bios correctly reports 4096MB now but the OS reports 3.5GB. :(

I'm running a 2.6 SMP kernel. Checked the back of the machine and the graphics aren't integrated, so I'm assuming it's using its own ram and not system ram.

/proc/meminfo confirms what the system monitor says....3.5GB. :(

Anyone got any ideas?

I'd guess it's OS related but try another OS to see what it says - use a Live CD or the PC's Diags disk. Also check out if there is a BIOS upgrade that lists stuff you need/want - if shared machine then probably best not to upgrade unless sure will solve probem. Check in BIOS for any strange settings re timing of ram banks - swap the ram so slower memory is in lower banks (straw clutching should not matter on a modern pc)

( had a bad experiance with an AMD motherboard where depending on the BIOS version you could enable Cache OR Hard Drives > 64GB but not both at the same time ! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Server manual
    "
    Note: Memory between 4GB and 4GB minus 512MB will not
    be accessible for use by the operating system and may be lost
    to the user, because this area is reserved for BIOS, APIC
    configuration space, PCI adapter interface, and virtual video
    memory space. This means that if 4GB of memory is installed,
    3.5GB of this memory is usable. The chipset should allow the
    remapping of unused memory above the 4GB address, but
    this memory may not be accessible to an operating system that
    has a 4GB memory limit.
    "

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555458
    suggests enabling PAE at the expense of performance, updating bios, or adding more momory.

Can you try an SMP or hugemem kernel, or build your own and add it to grub to try it out?
    D'oh you're using SMP. PAE is meant to be in in the default enterprise SMP kernel.

Thanks for the help lads.

It looks like reseem has it right with BIOS / PCI memory theft. Another machine we have reports only 3.75GB available.

I'll try a live cd just to be sure, but it's a shared machine, so reboots are avoided so it'll be a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement