Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Eircom (Rathmines exchange)

• 24-11-2005 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

I'm getting broadband in an apartment linked up to the Rathmines exchange and I have to keep to a vow I made some years ago to never ever deal with Eircom again ever ever.

I've looked around the boards here and have come up with the following options:

Wireless:

IBB: Avoid at all costs
    Clearwire: Avoid due to P2P policy
    Ice: Some problems reported on the boards here
    Digiweb Wireless: Seems to be stable. Relatively expensive

Overall though, wireless is expensive in comparison to DSL. So:

Fixed line:
    Smart Telecom: "Coming soon!"
    Digiweb Metro: Seems to be the best candidate. And it does seem that I won't have to deal with Eircom at all.
    Netsource: Not clear to me if I still have to pay Eircom line rental

Cable:
    NTL: Not for me, don't have or want cable.

So it's looking like Metro. Any advice or comments appreciated! TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

bokonon wrote:
    So it's looking like Metro. Any advice or comments appreciated! TIA!
    Phone Digiweb and order Metro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Digiweb Metro isn't a fixed line mate, it's wireless aswell. It just happens to be very cheap.

The phone line is done over the wireless connection aswell, however it's not VOIP. It behaves just like a real phone and isnt affected by what you're doign on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bokonon

Digiweb Metro isn't a fixed line mate, it's wireless aswell. It just happens to be very cheap.

The phone line is done over the wireless connection aswell, however it's not VOIP. It behaves just like a real phone and isnt affected by what you're doign on the net.

Aha! This was confusing me actually, they seem to offer Metro Broadband [Metro/Metro Plus/Metro Xpress] and Wireless Broadband [Homewave/Bizwave].

Anyway, that's that decided - Metro it is. Thanks for the advice! Gonna order that tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Check out magnet too. A friend told me that they were available in Rathmines though I havn't confirmed this.

Advertisement