Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Christmas present advice - PDA

• 24-11-2005 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Folks,

Given this is the PDA forum, I hope you can help me.
    I'm considering giving my boyfriend a PDA for his Christmas present and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
    I suppose I'd expect to pay about €200 but I'm reasonably flexible on the price.
    Ideally it should be something that's compatible with Outlook as that is the email system he uses (and the calendar of course).
    I realise that PDA's may be a bit passé and that they may not be widely used anymore..... but I think he would like one! :D

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Somebody has an O2 XDA2 for sale for €250 ono on the mobiles for sale board. It's a PDA with a mobile phone built in

http://www.my-xda.com/xda2s.html

Don't know if this is what your looking for? nice little piece of kit....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Screensiren

Hi Borderfox,

Thanks for your help.... I think he has enough phones at this stage ;)
    I was thinking more along the lines of a Palm pilot.
    I've been looking into them and I'm leaning towards the Tungsten T5.
    It has Powerpoint, Excel and Word functionality as well being able to play MP3s.... It also has plug and play functionality combined with drag and drop file management..... It sounds like it should be very easy to move files from the PC to the T5....

Has anyone used the Tungsten T5?
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

SS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gorm

or you could go seriously over budget with one of these
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=305&l=en&oc=AX51v%20624MHz&s=dhs&sbc=axim51_v_624

I use a X50V for web browsing (via wireless ADSL router), playing movies (mpeg4), music (Mp3) , sat nav (with extras), oh and the 'usual' word, excel etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Get a PDA with Windows Moblie rather than Palm OS (i.e. A Dell, Acer, HP etc). There is more software around for them and I think (personal view) they are more a pocket computer than a glorified organiser.

Also, if your budget allows get one with built in WiFi (bluetooth isnt much use, IMO, as you have to plug them in to charge anyway, so they might as well sync at the same time). If you cant get WiFi no matter, he will be thankful eitherway, it isnt as necessary as people make it out.

Again from experience, one with a removable battery is handy if you think he will be playing Mp3s. It is nice to have a spare battery for the long journeys.

I use my iPaq everyday without fail for notetaking, viewing documents, reading emails, and reading the news (with Avantgo). I rarely use it for Mp3s, and have never used it for watching video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Keep your eyes open and pick up a secondhand PDA and it's far better value imo, as long as it's in decent condition.

iPaq 4150 for 150 yoyos, I'm a happy camper :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement