Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

securing wireless connection

• 24-11-2005 8:21pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I know this is a pretty basic question, and thus probably one you get asked here all the time, but I've just set up a wireless network (using a netgear 54mpbs wireless router), and I want to secure it.
    I've gone into a wireless access list and found the two devices connecting to the router, added them to the list and turned on access control. Will this do the job?
    And what about changing settings such as passwords, usernames or network names which are currently set to the default?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Change the admin password.

I used to have a similar setup, and locked it down by:

1. Turning on Access Control - based on client MAC Addresse's(which you've done)
    2. Disable SSID broadcast
    3. Enabled WPA-PSK
    4. Enabled Wireless G only, a small thing, but stops B clients from connecting
    5. Disabled DHCP(meh, if they have got this far, not really needed)
    6. Enabled the logs, and email notification.
    7. On the latest firmware, there is some trend micro thingy in there - Content Filtering > Security Services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

All you really need to do is enable WPA psk

mac filtering is useless and will only stop accidental connection to your network if you did not have WPA enabled would not bother with it

No harm to turn off SSID but anyone with net stumbler will still see your network but changing the SSID from the default name would not do any harm as would changing the default password

when setting up the WPA a good long password is what you need nothing obvious and not english words from a dictionary

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I had a bit of trouble with the WPA-PSK thing, I set it up on the router, and then when I tried to tell my wireless card what the passkey was, it still wouldn't reconnect. I get an option on my card (data encryption, TKIP or AES) which I dont get in my router set up too.

How does that work anyway, the passkey changes every few hours (or whatever time you have set), so do you need to keep changing it manually?

Hi again,
    I just had another problem, I've had to reset the security settings on my router so I can use my DS on it too, it only recognises WEP.
    The problem is, when I put a WEP passkey on the router, neither my PC or DS can connect, they both recognise a network, but the signal is too weak, With my PC I get a "limited connection" bubble.
    Both work fine if I take the WEP off it, so the actual connection is fine, I just can't leave it unsecured for too long

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

If you paint the outer walls of your house/apartment with lead paint and brick up the windows, and cover same bricks with lead paint will ensure that your wireless network will not be able to leave the confines of your four walls and therefore you will not be able to get hacked in from the outside.

TC

• Advertisement

Your plan is foolproof, except for one tiny detail... I live in rented accommodation and can't decorate the house in any way.

And I had bought 12 buckets of led paint before I even realised... darn.

Advertisement