Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meeting an internet buddy

• 24-11-2005 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This isn't as major a post as any other here on boards; but I just can't figure out a good option myself..

I met an American girl on the internet about 6 years ago, and we've talked pretty much once or twice a week since then. We get on really well and now it's time to meet up - I think.

Now - before anyone asks; no, we're not "made for each other" or anything crazy like that, I have a girlfriend and she has a boyfriend. We get on really well and we're just hoping to meet up for a weekend while I'm over there on holiday with my mates.

Here's the "dilemma".
    Does anyone know an interesting/funny/imaginative/unique way to meet up like this for the first time?

Or even any experience of doing this yourselves?

Thanks for any ideas guys,

Mr X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

does your gf know about this friend then, if she doesnt i wouldnt meet the girl then.Talk to your gf cause it will creat a whole set of problems if she thinks that your deceiving her by meeting another girl even if ye are only friends.

I have an internet buddy (also an american that i have known for years)but my gf knows about her, met her a few times when she was in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I had an "internet friend". She was a she. She came to Ireland (also an American) to work for 6 months.

Really, it was no big deal! When she arrived I brought her to a "non-tourist" bar (well, I pretended it wasn't a tourist bar - The Porter House) and got her to taste all the different drinks (you can get 9 small glasses of all their beers/stouts.) She loved it.

If you make too much of a big deal, she might think you're making too much of a big deal! And no doubt your girlfriend won't be too happy about that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

Definitely make sure your gf is part of this meeting. I can't imagine anyone who would be pleased to find out after the event!! Just be honest, if your intentions are good and it's all innocent then there will be no dramas.

As for what to do, depends on the sort of girl she is. What is she into? If she loves history, I am sure you can do the 'touristy' thing...I know I would LOVE to do that...coming from Aust we are lacking any sort of real history. LOL

Just ask her if there is anything specifically that she wants to see whilst over there. Can't go wrong then.....and I also reckon going to that Porterhouse sounds good....they brew their own beer there yeh???

Anyway, goodluck, 6 years is a long time to be chatting with someone, you must really know each other well by now. I have net friends like that, except most of them are in the same country as me, it's just that Aus is sooo big, we never have the opportunity to meet!

Hope it goes well for you

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well, if you're going to the US then find a cool theme park. It'll keep everyone busy and give you time to get comfortable around each other (outside digital land...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

hmmmm

i think porterhouse is a great idea- its a pub so you get to drink, but you can dress it up as a kind of trendy cultural date.

I think pubs with added touches are great for dates.

The ivy house in drumcondra is an example, its a gallery as well as a pub, it has theatre in the beer garden in summer, it serves great food. You can play games as you eat, cards, chess, jenga etc.

Ive always liked the botanic gardens in Glasnevin, a beautifull place for a romantic stroll, but most girls who Ive ever mentioned this to have thought it sounded boring.

More ideas just as I think of them:
    feeding the ducks
    the zoo
    go kart racing
    ice skating
    snooker/pool
    wine tasting
    trad session [cobblestone smithfield]

hope this helps.

:eek: i would be shocked if your girlfriend doesnt even know of her existance???

heh heh..

• Advertisement
Advertisement