Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Metal Murders

• 24-11-2005 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Death Metal Murders on BBC2 at the moment trying to say Slayer are bad. No Slayer very very good:D . No seriously it's quite serious TV anybody else watching it? Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

condascending bull**** so far!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Missed the first half hour I'm afraid, but the rest seemed interesting.

That Monk was cool though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

God, saw some of that just now. Utter bs, from the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Yeah pure bs in parts. The Italian father who lost his son saying that metal and Satanism go hand in hand was pure bull though considering what happened to him and his family you cann't really blame him.

You know, I wouldn't say it was bull****, so much that what was shown was rather selective, but it didn't come off half as biased as I thought it would've been. For example the heavy metal Monk, and there was some person saying how it's nothing to do with the music, but rather a problem child is a problem.

I'm certainly a little dissapointed that the majority of the more positive bands weren't mentioned though. As much of a fan I am of Death and Black Metal, I tend to steer clear of bands like Cannibal Corpse and Deicide, who's lyrics are just extremely kitsch in my opinion, whereas it's bands who take a much more serious, mature and insightfull thematic approach (Which also seems to correspond with the songwriting) such as Opeth, Death, Enslaved, Emperor, Arcturus, and so forth.

So, not bad really.

Speaking of Satanism, or the few genuinely Satanic bands I listen to, I find that they're far more intelligent and mature in both their music than those faux-Satanic bands who simply use a lot of Satanic imagery, and are generally very "Grr... Blood for Satan!"

• Advertisement

I'm certainly a little dissapointed that the majority of the more positive bands weren't mentioned though."

Didn't expect them to get a mention given the title "Death Metal Murders"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Just watched some of that there..
    What's the deal with the pigs heads?
    Why do people listen to music of Satan?

Didn't expect them to get a mention given the title "Death Metal Murders"

Well, they did have a lot of counterpoints to the usual media fist-shaking.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

dawballz wrote:
    What's the deal with the pigs heads?
    Just part of Mayhem's live show tbh.

It was a pity that they didn't try to point out the positivity created by some of these bands. One of Opeth's recent shows Mikael teaching the crowd how to do crowl's or Slayer singing Ole-Ole-Ole during the Dublin gigs.(These might seem silly but it's just an attempt to bring some balance to the argument, sorry if it seems childish I'm sure there's lots of examples people can think of positive aspects to this "bleak" side of metal)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind so much about the more positive aspects lacking, but the more intelligent side was seriously under-represented. Of all the Death & Black Metal bands in the world, they really did have to feature the dumbest bunch of planks going.

Give me the likes of Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence and so forth over Glen Benton's ilk.

Yeah bands that are more worried about getting their pig head set up right or signing posters for missing fans seems a bit wrong. As said Karl Hungus said "the more intelligent side was seriously under-represented".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Watched this show myself and I have to agree that most it was bs. First off I have to say that I love rock music, its my favourite music but I absoultely hate death metal and black metal and the likes, it sounds just like noise to me and nothing else but thats not the point.

To say that music has a direct influence on the way these kids act is just ridiculous and to blame music for that "Beasts of Satan" sect is just ridiculous. the best part of that whole documentary, and the only guy who spoke with bit of sense was the Harvard professor who mentioned that these kids already have something wrong with them which makes them act the way they are. The blame the music is just ridiculous even though some of the lyrics that they come out with are unbelievably graphic and serve no purpose other than as shock value.

Very interesting show though and as Karl said it did highlight both points of the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

tbh I'm not a fan of Death/black Metal it's just noise to me...

I don't agree that music has that much influence over peoples thoughts and actions... if that were the case they why aren't we all out there murdering, raping, committing sucide etc. I missed the first 30mins of the show but it did seem a little on the biased side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Once again they have plasterd evryone with the same tarbrush. By showing all the stupid childish bands, they have now dammed the public's view of metal. I mean they only showed one side of metal the "meyhem" side. I mean thousands of people listen to metal evry day and aren't affected.It's the few mentely insecure people that just want to fit in, and follow the lyric's seriously that cause a problem, as the monk said "I listen to this music because I like it". It's the people who follow it like a religion that do the damage. People will always find something to blame.

I think it might be good to point out that the band calling themselves Mayhem on that show were not the True Mayhem. Mayhem was pretty much the baby of one man, Euronymous, and pretty much had a revolving door when it came to band members. After Euronymous was murdered, a few former members continued on riding out the legacy of the band.

I'd consider myself a fan of The True Mayhem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

The documentary wasn't about metal in general, or even black metal in general. It was about the negative effects that have been linked to it. Mentioning positive death metal bands may have appeased some viewers but it wouldn't have been relevant to the topic. As it was it was a typically balanced doc from the BBC. It took specific cases... Let people have their say and made no attempt to censor anybody's opinion. I was a little disapointed that it didn't generate any real conclusions by the end. It was a shame though that they got the guy from Deicide (was it him?) at the end who seemed a dopey bollocks. Of course the equivalent counter arguement was from that equally stupid man who was completely convinced that the music was to blaim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I liked that monk!!! someone give him a record deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

Holy crap BBC had a metal docmentary not just metal but death metal, thats freaky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Roxy*

no... i didnt watch it, sounds scary though:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

was told of this thread..turned on tv...gasp..just over :(
    I am curious about this monk now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

didn't care about most of the bands (not a death/black metal fan) except maybe slayer. thought it was a decent documentary, but had nothing new in it

except, as people have already mentioned, for that monk. legend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That monk rocked! It was surprisingly balanced, given its source I felt. The only bull**** was foolish opinions represented. It made no attempt in itself to link metal and violence. It just allowed people to say they felt this link existed from what I saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

that 13 year old kid from Sweden or Norway (cant remember) was a really good guitar player for his age too.
    I got really pi$$ed off when I heard the parents of the girl murdered in America, going on about suing Slayer, Sony, Columbia etc. WTF???

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

It was good to see Dissection included in the documentary, but they did come across as being a bit too intense on the whole Satanism side of their music. When their idea of Satanism is explained properly it actually makes a lot more sense than it appeared on the programme.

I hate to see any negativity towards Dissection as they are a great band, I hate to think anyone thought they were CRAZY!!:eek:
    Oh, and of course the same applies for Slayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

silenoz wrote:
    It was good to see Dissection included in the documentary, but they did come across as being a bit too intense on the whole Satanism side of their music. When their idea of Satanism is explained properly it actually makes a lot more sense than it appeared on the programme.

I hate to see any negativity towards Dissection as they are a great band, I hate to think anyone thought they were CRAZY!!:eek:
    From what I understand they're complete ****ing nutjobs. A great band... But then the documentary wasn't about the quality of the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

was told of this thread..turned on tv...gasp..just over :(
    I am curious about this monk now though.
    The monk got up on stage at a Mahem gig and sang one of their song's, he also made a great point about the fact that metal isn't the music of the devil, it's just music, it's the people who take it seriously that pose a problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ha, brilliant.On stage you say...must see that.Also the monk makes a good point. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

very good imo. but it was really on BLACK metal. get it right :D

i really liked the way yer man from mayhem was STONED outa his tree for all his interviews. and he held up a nice big bud for the camera.

the monk rocked so he did. i'm very surprised that christian metal was not mentioned, considering. ah well :v:

• Advertisement

silenoz wrote:

I thought they were nuts.:D

In 1997, Jon Nödtveidt was convicted for helping to murder a 38-year old man in Göteborg. He was released in autumn of 2004. Since then, Nödtveidt has formed a new line-up for Dissection and recorded one 2-track EP entitled Maha Kali. Currently, Dissection has plans to release a new album.

Now that Jon has been free for several months, he is also indebted to making Dissection the Satanic Propaganda Unit for the Misanthropic Luciferian Order, whose Ideals you can check out at the site.(Wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism

Advertisement