Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age??

Options
  • 25-11-2005 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so im just a bit curious here.

Im gay and have known it since well, since I first started to really fancy people so around 12 i suppose. I was wondering do most other gay people always know or does it take some a bit longer and at what age?

Also, I feel i was very young when I first "full-on" gay sexual encounter... I was 13. Is this normal or is it just a bit freeky? Im 18 now and im only out to around 10 of my closest friends. What age do most people come out at?

Look foward to hearing you reply. Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well for me I couldn't even begin to accept or acknowledge I had feelings of a homosexual nature till my late teen's, so didn't come out till I was 22 (pushing 23).

But chatting to gay friends I seem to be an exception, don't know many who went tru that much denial before coming out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

When I was about 15 I started thinking about it. Until 20 I was straight, gay and bi alternately... I've finally settled on bi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Knew by the time I was 13, started telling people at 16, fully out at 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

26 :eek:

Although I seem to recall telling a friend when I was around 10/11 that I thought I was gay. I don't even think I knew exactly what that meant then. I also told a friend when I was 16 but later retracted the statement. Denial must have really set in at that stage because it was a good 5 years before I started to accept that I was bi. Then another few years before I could bring myself to actually tell any one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

10/11- played games with boys that might of been some indication

13 - first girlfriend, and awed at particular girls "shape" when we used swim in local river

17 - seminary, celibacy (very cute fellow students- probably not the norm/hetero thing to think of other male students as "cute", but then the long robes etc can be disconcerting)

23 - LTR with a girl I'd of happily married

25 - back to playing games, but with grown men now

25/30 - mixing the girlfriend bit with mostly anon. stuff with guys(no cross-over)

30 - fell in love with a man
    I was wondering do most other gay people always know or does it take some a bit longer and at what age?
    Not sure I quite know yet, defiitely not with the certainties friends speak of
    What age do most people come out at?
    I'm one of those people who don't quite get the "coming out " thing (jaysus hope I'm not the only one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

As soon as I hit puberty I started to realise I fancied guys. I came out to myself at 15, and I came out to my parents when I was just turned 17. Pretty much everyone who knows me knows I'm gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Realised around 15, told friends & mother at 16, fully out by 17.
    I work fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ya and what about when ye first got with fella's?? i avnt been with ne1since dat 1st time. am i very old with little experiecne?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ChrisCross

First homosexual experience when I was 13. Knew since I was pretty young that I was attracted to members of the same sex alright. Sometimes I think a lot of people tend to find out at your teens but it depends how exposed to things you are. I knew a lot of bi and homosexual people at that age so I guess it was accepted that it was ok in my social circle and hence I found it easier to identify what I was feeling and act on it.
    If you never knew any other gay peopel I guess it's harder to come out and obviously harder to meet then as you can't go to gay bars.
    That's why I think BeLonGTo (group for LGBT youth) is a great project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

anxxxx wrote:
    Ya and what about when ye first got with fella's?? i avnt been with ne1since dat 1st time. am i very old with little experiecne?!!!
    heh no, my first proper kiss was when i was 22, and happened to be with a guy, sex came later... pretty soon after actually lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BrettGuy

I can relate to all of you. I was very young when I knew I was attracted to guys and thought they were cute. I was raised in Catholic schools and by 10 had my first truely gay encounter. Girls were just not on my agenda. I liked them as friends and liked to play with them but found guys more facinating. My first gay relationship lasted till I was 14. The others were calling me all the names and I became very scared I wouldn't be accepted. I figured I could change all this at make myself straight and live in denial. So I had a girlfriend at 16 and wel I must say its hard to hide if you can't performe. I saw guys in the closet.after collage I married and well it didn't last all I thought of was me. My denial made me worse. After my devorce I had a few encounters then fell in love with a man. I loved it and started comming out. We lived togather for several years. Now I wouldn't change being gay for anything that is me and I am happy. I cannot change for anyone. Now everyone knows. Gee I could have saved myself alot of trouble. I feel you always know inside if your gay bi Les or hetrosexual. Just be yourselves and be happy for you no one else. And yes we all deal with this issue some younger and some older than others no set age. Just trust in God and know he made you this way for a reason and he doesn't make mistakes. Good Luck and Live and Let Live and hurt no one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

anxxxx wrote:

Theres no time when you have to have been with someone or have a boyfriend. I was 18 when i meet the first guy i went out with and he treated me like crap but i put up with it cause i didnt know better. You made the big step in coming out to your friends, maybe get one of them to come out to a gay pub with you (if theres one near by) but make sure you hold out for someone nice, theres alot of assholes out on the scene!!!

Look out for whenever the next glb boards beers is. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lifesucks

anxxxx here.

Gay bars near me... I'm from a remote village in the west, I dont tink so!:( Roll on next september when i'll be living in dublin.

I heading up to dublin next weekend with a friend. Where would be the best place to go which has a youngish gay crowd? Im just iching to get with someone!

Cheers for yer advice!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I heading up to dublin next weekend with a friend. Where would be the best place to go which has a youngish gay crowd? Im just iching to get with someone!

Once you're not itching after you get with some one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lifesucks wrote:

Cheers for yer advice!;)

Probably the George if you're looking for a quick and easy score. Should be a youngish enough crowd there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Was only ever attracted to guys (from 12 or so). Came out at 16. 20 now. No sexual experience to speak of before or after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Labelled myself as gay at 13, came out to family at 16 (hit the George for the first time that week also), met my current partner at 19, now 28.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Realised I wasn't straight at 19, First Homosexual experience afew months later with my current Boyfriend, came out to the world shortly after that.

First full on experience at 13. So you're not alone don't worry. Knew I was attracted to other guys pretty much for as long as I've had sexual attraction.

Coming out. Now here's the thing. I'm 20 now. And to be honest I still haven't figured myself out. I know I'm attracted to other guys but I don't know if i'm attracted to girls. I know that might sound weird and it's kinda like you should just know whether or not you are but it's so confusing. I know when girls are good looking but not too sure if I'm attracted myself. I've had a girlfriend for the past year but to be honest I started going out with her to look 'normal' and while I love her the way two friends love each other and I really care for her, I can't actually say that I love her in a boyfriend/girlfriend way. So far I've told her I'm bi (it's easier than trying to explain everything) but apart from that I haven't told anyone else. (hence the unreggie) The thought of coming out to everyone absolutely scares the crap out of me. I don't think there's any way everyone I know would even be half as understanding as my girlfriend. (she even picks out good looking guys for me when we're out lol.)

So yeah first experience at 13, always knew I was gay or bi still not sure. Still not out yet and don't know if I'll ever be able to come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I knew I was gay when I was in Primary school, had my first experience at 11 years old. Then a big big gap .. went out with a good few women in a vain attempt to convince myself I was hetero, but they never really cut it for me sexually.
    Finally admitted to myself 10 years back that I was gay. Totally comfortable with it , tho weirdly I found myself having sexual thoughts about a female friend of mine last October, so I guess I'm not totally gay, but would reckon i am at about 95% gay :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

I can remember having feelings for other guys in primary school, around the age of 7. Up until about 16 I just thought I admired or looked up to them, or wanted to be like them, but eventually realised what was really going on.

I came out generally three years ago, at 23 (for some reason I thought it was like admitting a major personality flaw and put it off as long as possible), although I'd one good friend who knew all along.

I've never even had the slightest attraction for a woman, although I would like to **** one before I die.

I first new I was bi at around 11 however my first experince was around 7ish or 8 but its nothing to speak of. Have always thought guys where sexier than girls. I have told a best friend (who all the girls fancy) and asked him for a kiss which he did.....score. Then a few months letter under the influence I had my first proper experience with him at around 16 or so. However he ended up telling one big mouth who thought he would spread the news. Came home from school one day to 4 guys knowing more abouth that one night than me (chat about dying on the spott). Now i dont know who knows and who doesn't. All the ladies seem to have dried up and not to many gay or bi guys in my area. To top to things of the best friend is now expecting a baby with a girl who so doesnt deserve him and wont even chat to me. But I do understand that life isnt over.

Advertisement