Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet shop in Limerick

• 25-11-2005 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good pet shop in Limerick - my brother has requested tropical fish for Christmas :rolleyes:
    Looking for one preferably that doesn't sell snakes or any other type of repltile - have a major phobia of them and can't be going in to one if they are on view!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was one up on Cecil Street just down from the junction with Catherine Street, not sure if it is still there but they were into tropical fish in a big way. I'm not sure about the snakes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Still there Bazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

There is also the one on foxes bow , also not sure about the reptile thingy .

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Is Fishers on High Street still there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Still there Bazz.

Cool, I used to buy all my tropical fish in there when I had them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Ta for all the replies - think he did mention something bout the one on Cecil St. all right..... (should listen more closely!)
    Think I might just have to get someone to go in and get them for me - don't want to risk a panic attack tbh!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The one in foxes bow does have snakes / reptile tanks, not always full though. You could ask before you go into the other part of the shop if there'e any to be scared of!

The one on cecil street is there, it's downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Fishers near the market used to be the best years ago but I would say now is
    the worst. At best you may manage to see a goldfish and a rabbit there.

For Tropical Fish the best one in the place that in on cecil/catherine street.
    I have a workmate who is mad into Fish and goes there all the time to
    get new fish for his tanks. The same shop I remember never really
    had any other "pets" other than fish. I remember seeing some dog leads and
    some food but no other animals dunno if this still holds true.

The one in Foxes Bow also sells fish but I would think they may not be as
    healthy as the first pet shop mentioned. They also sell exotic spiders last
    time I checked and did have some snakes. Hoever they always seem to have
    empty tanks.

There was one near parnell street near blackspot records but I would not recommend.
    I dont know if its even still open. I remember years ago my family buying pets
    and they all died within a few days. The Birds were in poor condition and hamsters
    had chunks of flesh/fur bitten off them as they were overcrowded and the babies
    were being sold too young.

The Pet Shops down in Cork are fantastic if you want to go all the way down there.
    again they sell snakes and spiders though.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

spiders... how they freak me out,.. esp really big ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Parsi showing your age a bit if you can like myself remember Fishers on High Street that building has been pulled down and rebuilt since :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

I even remember that place. Not that long age tho

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

sioda wrote:
    Parsi showing your age a bit if you can like myself remember Fishers on High Street that building has been pulled down and rebuilt since :-)

there ya go.. I lived in limerick when it was neither popular nor profitable (to paraphrase Flann O'Brien)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I am bumping this thread again just to say that I was in the new pet supermarket on the Ballysimon road today . They do all the different foods and gear that you would expect plus they have tropical fish . It's about time Limerick got a place like that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

René Cusack has a shop full of tropical fish in Dock Road (just opposite Steamboat Quai). :D

IB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

I was under the impression Rene Cusack had moved? :confused:
    Also, fishers were on the corner of the milk market for a while. I think they're gone from there now, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Greenrat

Hi ,

I'm looking for a pet shop in Limerick too. I've bought my rat in the one in Fox Bow, a place where I leave my CV.

My question is :
    Do you know where I could find a pet shop in Limerick to leave my CVs.... A pet shop without Spiders ?

ThanX for your help

PS: Sorry for my english, I'm French !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Go to petmania, which is beside Woodies. Yes they sell snakes, lizards, spiders etc, but they are all at the very back of the store, the fish are displayed on the right hand wall of the store so you can go straight to the fish and not look at the snakes etc.

It is a large pet store, with a good range of fish, and plenty of accessories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Greenrat

It isn't in the Jetland or a name like that ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Greenrat wrote: »
    It isn't in the Jetland or a name like that ?

Yes, Petmania is located at the Jetland on the Ennis Road. My sister keeps going there to replace fish after fish after dead fish... lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maryoshea

Doggy Stylz pet shop is located in watchhouse cross on the parteen road. Near moyross and ballynanty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

There's the Pet Supermarket just off the Childer's Road roundabout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Sorry for changing the subject a bit here but does anyone know a good place to buy turtles in Limerick? Some place that could give me a good bit of advice about caring for them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I wouldnt buy anything in any of the pet shops in limerick.. way too overpriced.. if he is big into tropical fish i would suggest a day trip to either dublin or kilkenny.. the shop in kilkenny is called kilkenny aquatics and as far as i remember all they sell are fish and fish products.. the one in dublin out in DL is called fish fx and these two are probably the best in the country..

cork, limerick, galway and anywhere else is really bad for tropical fish..

on the other hand if he just wants a couple of starter fish any of the above mentioned shops are the same..

things to note when buying fish:

cold freshwater or warm tropical or saltwater (saltwater being the most diffucult but most rewarding, if its nemo your after then is saltwater u need)

check the tank the fish is in is it clean, free from dead fish

check the fishes fins for damage, check colour compared to same species in different tank

ask to feed the fish a happy fish will be straight out for some food..

if you decide to go with the warm tropical id recommend keeping some african chiclids as these are the most colourful trops around and they are pretty amusing during breeding time.. i have a 260L saltwater marine tank myself and i love it.. could sit and watch for hours.. also if your looking on buying a new tank pm me i know someone who is selling off pet shop stock and you would get a much better deal than going to any of the shops..

my bad people just saw this thread is two years old!!! DUH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

EddyC15 wrote: »
    Sorry for changing the subject a bit here but does anyone know a good place to buy turtles in Limerick? Some place that could give me a good bit of advice about caring for them too.

The Pet shop in Cecil street does reptiles, so may have what you need.

The guy that owns it/runs it is called Kevein and he would have good knowledge on how to look after them.

Both Petmania stores in Limerick, Jetland and Ballysimon road, have reptiles and accessories also, but animal knowledge seems a bit hit and miss in there. Some of the people working there have genuine knowledge and a few are bluffers. My advice would be to try a few of the places and get as much advice as you can.

The ones that are happy to give you advice without pushing for a sale are usually the ones who know what they are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chea

I've decided to get a Hamster but since I don't have much knowledge of pet shops in Limerick I thought you guys could help me out :cool: I know there's the the Pet Supermarket by Fariview Terrace, Maxi Zoo near Harvey Norman and Pa's Pet and Grooming but where should I go? Thanks in advance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Pet Mania in jetland is quite good, they have some hamsters and mice etc there. They also have snakes (wonder do they feed them the mice?).

Advertisement